Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Diy: Installing Resistor For Led Turn Signals On The Iq

surfcitylocal

If you want to rid your iQ of the "egg yoke" look of the stock amber turn signal bulbs you can replace them with LED bulbs. If you do that you'll have to deal with hyperflashing, the speed at which the LED blinks. The resistance on the LED bulbs is lower than that of the stock and your iQ will think you have a bulb burned out causing the turn signals to blink at double speed, the factory alert to replace a defective bulb. This is annoying to say the least but is an easy fix.

DSCN2230.jpg

This DIY will explain how to install an external resistor to restore the regular turn signal blink speed and end hyperflashing.

The items you'll need:

2 6 ohm 50 watt resistors. Available on line or at your local electronics store

Wire

Connectors

Heat shrink tubing

Electrical tape

3M double stick tape

DSCN2231.jpg

This is the 6 ohm 50 watt resistor

DSCN2232.jpg

Strip your wires and solder one color wire to each end of the resistor. The resistor is not polarity conscious so it doesn't matter which wire goes to which post. Use the heat shrink tubing to protect the soldered connection.

DSCN2233.jpg

DSCN2234.jpg

DSCN2235.jpg

Do the same to the other end post.

DSCN2236.jpg

Your finished product:

DSCN2237.jpg

Use 3M double stick tape to secure the resistor inside the engine compartment. I chose the edge lip of the front support.

DSCN2238.jpg

DSCN2239.jpg

Locate the turn signal wiring, peel off the electrical tape to expose the two leads.

DSCN2240.jpg

Cut one of the leads at the point where you wish to splice in the resistor. Make sure you have enough wire to reach from the turn signal leads to the resistor.

DSCN2241.jpg

DSCN2242.jpg

Using a butt connector, splice the new wire with the existing wire coming from the harness. Splice the end going towards the turn signal bulb socket to the other stock lead.

DSCN2243.jpg

At this point test your install to ensure that the turn signal is blinking at the proper speed. If your bulb is not blinking you may need to remove it from the socket and reverse it.

If everything works as it should you can use the electrical tape to cover the new splice. I used some small diameter wire loom as well to make the install look cleaner.

DSCN2244.jpg

The finished installation...

DSCN2245.jpg

This picture was taken before the remaining added wire was covered with the wire loom.

Now enjoy your turn signal blinking at the intended speed and the brightness of your LED turn signals.

DSCN2246.jpg

DSCN2248.jpg

No more "egg yokes".

Very professional.great pics. Evan i can follow that. Though dont have an IQ.

Hi Taz

Just for information, you can buy LED bulbs for indicator use that have a integral shunted regulator to offer the required load a incandescent bulb would offer. Nice tidy job anyway

David

Hi Taz

Just for information, you can buy LED bulbs for indicator use that have a integral shunted regulator to offer the required load a incandescent bulb would offer. Nice tidy job anyway

David

Thanks David. I have been unable to locate said bulbs here in the U.S. and needed to get these working before I leave for Las Vegas on Saturday. A link to a site where I could purchase those bulbs would be greatly appreciated.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links