Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

5Th Gear Rattle

Grumpy stumpy

Well went to my local toyota stealer today Dingles, as I have the 5th gear rattle on my rav4, after writing to toyota asking if they will do anything for me on this as my car is 8 years old but only done 54k, they said take it to local dealer for assessment and they will discount the parts needed. What a waste of time , they want £99 for assessment which I asked what would they do and was told plug their diagnostic kit in! What for gearbox rattle! Said never had any problems with 5 th gears on rav's and no TSB were ever issued.i told them this was not the case and came back with a TSB which says replace the main lay shaft and loads of other stuff approx 3k !! Have posted kingo and he has quoted me £357.00 for parts. Just need to find out weather the info on this forum under tech guides showing the great pictures on how to change the 5th gear relates to my 4.2 2004 rav because if so will do it myself, if someone can confirm this is the same it would be appreciated please.

Anchorman I see you provided the chap with an exploded view of the synchro gear assembly would it be possible please if you could give me a link to it as well. Thanks.

Well, you seem far better informed than your dealer. No excuse for that.

The tech info about 5th gear replacement does apply to your RAV4.2, and is up-to-date.

The job will probably take you 2-3 hours: access is through the wheel arch. You will need to make up (or get hold of) a puller (as detailed in the write-up). After completion, refill the box with SAE 75W-80 for good gear changes, in preference to the heavier oil originally specified.

Chris

Well, you seem far better informed than your dealer. No excuse for that.

The tech info about 5th gear replacement does apply to your RAV4.2, and is up-to-date.

The job will probably take you 2-3 hours: access is through the wheel arch. You will need to make up (or get hold of) a puller (as detailed in the write-up). After completion, refill the box with SAE 75W-80 for good gear changes, in preference to the heavier oil originally specified.

Chris

Thanks chris that's excellent , trying one last letter to toyota for help towards cost of parts ( well worth one last go ) then will order parts from kingo and tackle myself. Could do with a exploded view of synchro though just in case I drop it and it flies apart any ideas where I can obtain one from?

Cheers

Well went to my local toyota stealer today Dingles, as I have the 5th gear rattle on my rav4, after writing to toyota asking if they will do anything for me on this as my car is 8 years old but only done 54k, they said take it to local dealer for assessment and they will discount the parts needed. What a waste of time , they want £99 for assessment which I asked what would they do and was told plug their diagnostic kit in! What for gearbox rattle! Said never had any problems with 5 th gears on rav's and no TSB were ever issued.i told them this was not the case and came back with a TSB which says replace the main lay shaft and loads of other stuff approx 3k !! Have posted kingo and he has quoted me £357.00 for parts. Just need to find out weather the info on this forum under tech guides showing the great pictures on how to change the 5th gear relates to my 4.2 2004 rav because if so will do it myself, if someone can confirm this is the same it would be appreciated please.

Anchorman I see you provided the chap with an exploded view of the synchro gear assembly would it be possible please if you could give me a link to it as well. Thanks.

Have a read of this post by me on the same subject!

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=136265

Steve

Have a read of this post by me on the same subject!

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=136265

Steve

Thanks steve I have seen this, what I require now is a good diagram of the synchro assembly just in case I mess up. Any one got an exploded view please.

I came across the attached document a while ago and think its the correct one

Thanks very much that's excellent just what I require superb!

Thanks for all the help on here, will let you know how it all goes when I get a chance to do it.

Hi Phil,Yes - that's the page (MX-12) from Ian's document.Take note of how the bits come off (more or less one cluster, after using the puller). There's no danger of parts flying apart - they're not spring loaded during removal.

Chris

Hi Phil,Yes - that's the page (MX-12) from Ian's document.Take note of how the bits come off (more or less one cluster, after using the puller). There's no danger of parts flying apart - they're not spring loaded during removal.

Chris

Thanks chris for info appreciated.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links