Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water In My Boot - Anyone Else Had This Please?

Sunny7

I have had my Auris TR MMT since November last year .. apart from all the other 'typical' MMT problems and I won't go into those here on this post .. I have been having an ongoing problem with my boot being wet inside. I mentioned it to the dealership when the car was going back in for one of its many checkups (re the MMT problems) but they could not find anything wrong. A few months have passed and it seemed to be okay but then I had not had anything in the boot either. Two weeks ago a friends jacket was in my boot overnight and the next morning was soaked! At first when I picked it up I thought it was cold .. you know how cold things can feel slightly damp sometimes? Well the next day I put some cushions in there to protect a fragile item I was carrying and 1 hour later the cushions were soaked through.

The car is going in for a service 30k (that brings me to another thing in a moment) next week and for its MOT and to have the windows checked re the recall.. I asked them to check this out plus the other MMT problems I am still having with the car. It is still under its extended warranty until mid November, but can anyone throw any light on this? Anyone else had it please before I take it down there as they could not find it the 1st time and said they had checked everything.

My second question is how much is a 30k dealership service likely to set me back? I need to be able to plan for this expenditure.. this car will have to be serviced by a garage who use toyota parts (my local garage) after the warranty expires as I know from past experiences with Toyota specifically but prob true of all dealerships, that this could be mega expensive! I am praying not though! What can be covered by the warranty too from that service?

Thank you in anticipation of good news and something insightful about the leaking boot!

• Like 1

Do you know if they checked under the plastic cover on the hatch which you can see when the hatch is open.it covers the wiring to the high level stop light etc. the standard 'Spoiler' is held in place by 3 clips and 4 nuts..Maybe water is getting under this spoiler and getting past these somehow.

If you can get someone to get in the boot with a torch and give the car a good spray with a hose the may be able to see where its coming from.

But if the water is coming in to the spare wheel well the spraying will not show it up.

Cover the boot carpet with paper towling so any water on the paper will give a clue to which part of the boot is getting wet and give a clue to where the water is entering.

Good luck.

• Like 1

The third service should be an intermediate. If your Toyota dealer offers Toyota Fixed Price Servicing, the cost should be £129 plus the MOT. Have a look at the Toyota website under 'Owners' and 'Servicing and maintenance'. Some dealerships are also offering free MOT insurance to cover the next MOT (claim limit of £500) - but the next MOT has to be done at that dealer.

As regards the wet boot - does the carpet get wet? This may indicate whether the water is getting in from above the spare wheel - ie via the tailgate.

• Like 1

I had this exact same problem such an easy but time consuming process. Mine was on the left side, all I did is remove the rear light from the car 10mm nuts if I remember correctly and the side carpet and you have full visual access. Go to a hardware shop and buy a clear sealant. Seal around the gaps on the rear light and seal the vent by applying sealant all around it and refit it. Then refit the light to the car, and apply the sealant at the top of the light filling the gap you need to do it quite neatly and leave it to dry so when it dries its its transparent sealant so nobody will even notice its been applied. Not had a leak since.

• Like 1

I've heard some instances of water ingressing through the tail-lights, so might be worth checking there too.

Thank you Acetip, Frostyballs, AurisTR01 and Uncle Buck... spoiled for choice with your suggestions. My son is away at the moment but will ask him to check these things out for me when he returns. I will also mention them to the dealership when car goes in to be checked..

To answer the question about where it is getting wet ie carpet etc.. no it feels as dry as a bone which I found puzzling..I assumed the carpet would be wet given how wet everything else was....the friend's jacket was on the left.. when I put the cushions in to support something they were centrally placed up against the hatch opening. What was strange though was that the previous day the jacket was wet, it had been raining.. but the day the cushions got wet it was dry, which means there is residual water there somewhere. I had planned on putting a towel in the boot tomorrow and noting for this next week where it gets wet and also will do the paper towel test too. A couple of weeks ago, I got in the car and there was a noticeable damp musty odour. That smell though has now gone. Some times not all the time though, the rear screen is wet from condensation on the inside... let's hope its one of those things one of you has mentioned and it can be easily resolved.

Re the service cost .. - thank you FB, will check that out the website for those costs.

When I had my Corolla (bought from same dealers back in late 90's).. I had to have some work on it around 2004.. Toyota quoted me £750 .. and a local garage near to where I worked even without my work discount which they gave employees of the local council I worked for..their cost was £250 with the exception of one part which they had to get from Toyota at a cost of £60. I took the bill to Toyota and asked them how they could justify what they were going to charge me had I taken it there and they said they couldn't except the labour was more than the other place.....what £500 more I said with a smile? Hence my fears over the cost of the service Frostyballs!

£129 would be far more acceptable! The car had 23.5k on the clock when I bought it .. they advised I had to have it serviced in June, however, I was unable to afford it then and have only done 7k since I bought it last November, I will have to check to see when the last one was done in my service book, but presumably if that one was due in June and in not having it done then.. will this mean they will need to do a full service as per the terms of my warranty?

Thanks again all of you and I will look into those possible leakage areas.. much appreciated replies. :thumbsup:

Yes I had this on my Auris which I have just sold the water was getting in through the rear lamps I just removed them, cleaned them and used clear silicone to seal all round the lens and then a thin bead to seal them against the car and that cured the leak.

• Like 1

As water entering the boot through the rear lens is not uncommon problem, i should have thought the dealer SUNNY7 uses would have been aware of this and checked it out as a matter of course.

It would not be the first time someone has complained of water in their boot they would have received i am sure.

• Like 1

Hi, I had water water ingress from the l/hand tail light assy, Toyoto changed the unit under warranty but next time I washed the car the actual unit filled up with water, back to Toyoto and the service dept told me that last time they forgot to order the unit seal as well as the light cluster, all ok now.

Dry the boot area and mat, then place some paper towel where you think it may be coming in and check after rain.

Mine was just to the rear of the wheel arch

• Like 1

This is a common fault, water ingress generaly comes from the rear vents under the wheel arches., or the seals on the tail light clusters. both are very easy to repair, if you require more detail let me know.

Hi everyone and thank you very much for your advice and tips. The car went in today for an intermediate 30k service and MOT .. they sorted out the leak (nini flood - boot and spare wheel cavity was a awash) and yes it was the left hand tail light and it is now all sealed.. fingers crossed its okay now! I have another question in a mo but will head it separately.

Glad to hear its all sorted for you now Sunny :)

• Like 1

The car went in last week for MOT/intermed service/window recall and to fix the water problem in my boot! The boot was a mini paddling pool the day it went in so I am glad it was so that they were able to see just how bad it was.. it had been getting progressively worse over at least 10 months..they had not found the leak when it went in back earlier this year.. but the last couple of weeks it was flooded.. I have not been able to use the boot for anything at all. So now all sorted.. it was leaking as many of you thought, via the tail light (left hand) ..as my car was still under its extended warranty period this was covered by the dealership. Phew! Thanks for your replies and help.

how do you remove the carpet trim in the boot to gain access to lamp clusters?

You have to remove the surrounding trim first 10mm bolt if I remember correctly and then use a screw driver to unclip the carpet from its seating position.

• 4 weeks later...

I found this problem about a year ago on my 57 plate Auris. Vents in the rear arches I was told and the work was carried out under FREE OF CHARGE at a local dealer.

Search this forum for my earlier posts regarding this, quite a few other people had the problem too.

• 9 months later...

I also still have the same problem with my Toyota I bought it in Basingstoke branch. Spoke to Service Manager and told me that he will come back to me. Hope this time they do something or Recall all those Toyota Models with boot problem.

JOE. N

Usually water leaks into the Auris boot either from the boot vent seals or the rear light seals - see http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/135393-water-leak/?hl=%2Bwater+%2Bboot#entry1204401
Not all Auris are affected by these leaks - my 2009 1.33TR never leaked, and my 2012 Auris hasn't (as yet).
It isn't a safety issue so recall action isn't appropriate.

I had my problem resolved when it went in last year for service and whilst the warranty period was still in existence. However, recently I have noticed condensation in the same light fitting. So clearly not all is resolved.. there must be still some underlying issue with this.

• 1 year later...

Thread revival, my 2007 auris appears to be leaking also. Only had the car a week, i did notice there has been some rust repair in the spare tyre bay. I believe the water is getting in via the rear brake light at the top of the boot. Will investigate during the week. I also suspect the rear window may have been replaced at some point (some glass under the boot carpet etc, could also be the problem. Silicone at the ready.

• Like 1

Thanks all for your replies, its very sad that we have to go through all this especially if the car is new..ish... I am forwarding it to watchdog and see what Toyota will do about this issues.... I still believe something can be done by Toyota...

• Like 1

Quite right Joe, there are too many Auris's out there with this same problem, mine was the same, boot flooded, asked my Toyota dealership about the flooded boot when it when in for a service, when i asked about this common fault that is all over Toyota Forums he looked at me as if i was the first to mention it with the usual shrug of the shoulders i.e. we know its a common problem but its my job to look stupid when you ask, doh!, he also told me not to believe what you read in forums, ha, also for another member to say it isn't a safety issue therefore it shouldn't be recalled is folly, it is clearly a design, manufacturer or component fault which is affecting thousands of cars so therefore should be down to the manufacturer 'Toyota' to resolve it, if said member bought an expensive tv which had a serious common fault would the said member happily pay to fix it himself or would he contact the manufacturer to fix it.

After Toyota's 'doh' attitude i took the car to my local mechanic who instantly recognised the problem, you guessed it, the rear light cluster, funny how Toyota don't recognise the problem but local mechanics do eh, anyway a little bit of sealant later it was sorted, not 100% but 90% which is far better than it was.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to fix the leak in the boot hatch, first good bit of rain today and alas.. boot very wet. As the others have said seems to be some sneaking ion from the rear light (left hand side) but there is alot of water fro the wheel arch so i am assuming thats the vent. Another job for this weekend i think.

• Like 1