Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1 Out Of 10 For Design Of The Headlights

Roker

My RH front Indicator bulb has blown. I thought, a 5 mins job. After taking the engine compartment front covers off, I found it impossible to get the bulbcover off, the ABS and filler tube for the washers were in the way; there’s a cover to remove before turning the bulb housing to remove. I failed and so did the local garage, so I took it to Mr T, (a 50mile round trip) he was unable to turn the bulb also and took my car in to the workshop to perform his magic. Half hour later it was done.

Who thinks up these things, no the wonder there is so many cars around with bulbs/lights out.

YEP! it's a sucky design! I replaced the side lights with LED ones thinking that the chance of the LEDS blowing is sooo much less than the usual filament bulbs. Worth doing it even though it took me 30 mintues!! I had a similar issue on my old Mark IV Golf.. apart from the fact I had to take off the front bumber, then remove the light units! My little MX5 (I see someone has an MX5 avatar) is a breeze to change bulbs. 2 minutes each side, and thats with getting the LED's in the wrong polarity!

If you are going to change to LED's I would suggest getting the ones with the bigest and brightest spread of light, the 3 Watt SMD ones... for instance..

• 3 weeks later...

I now have condensation in this light, possible Mr T did not install the cover correctly in this bad to get at location

it's not unique to Toyota e.g. on a Ford Focus to replace any front or rear bulb requires removal of the whole light unit from the car - not what you want to be doing on a dark, rainy night at the side of the road ...

This problem thats common to many makes of cars has be posted about before.

Someone suggested that modern bulbs last much longer these days so rarely need replacing.

If so there is a lot of older cars about my way cos it seems every other car has a light out, maybe cos people have not got the time it takes to fix get them fixed.

I use to carry a set of spare bulbs in my earlier cars,but no point now as its no longer a side of the road job.

Be glad that you don't have an Audi A1/2/3 then.

bulbs are non-user serviceable parts there.

And ... ever tried to replace a bulb on a Smart For2?

You can't... unless you have the hands of a 4 year old. :(

i think that ford have got it right, you can remove a mondeo headlight in under a minute and then its so easy to fit the bulb, at least with the t27 avensis they have fitted a removable washer filler neck to make access better.

Even if bulb replacement on the T27 model is less difficult compared to previous models, it's not a bad idea to replace all front light and indicator bulbs when one of them fails.

You then need to get your hands dirty only once.

The cost of the bulbs outweighs the frustration when the other headlight fails a week after the first one.

Also it may avoid dangerous situations and/or unplanned police "encounters".

I replace my front bulbs every 3 to 4 years, as a kind of preventive maintenance.

It's a job for a nice dry saturday afternoon... when I have time and feel like it.

I've made this a habit for the last 35 or so years, after I was stuck in the middle of nowhere with both front bulbs blown.

Which is rather scary on unlit mountain roads. :fear:

Never had a blown bulb after that.

Be glad that you don't have an Audi A1/2/3 then.

Bulbs are non-user serviceable parts there.

Have you tried to replace them? My ex-sister-in-law had a 2000 A4, the manual said that the bulbs were "non-user serviceable", but we popped the bonnet, and it turned out be be relatively easy to change them. So in some cases it may be that the manufacturer thinks that all their customers have ten thumbs.