Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T180 - To Buy It Or Not?

Tee786Avensis

Hello Toyota owners,

Im considering buying a T180, but feel unsure because of the potential head gasket issue... My old standard 2.2 d4d had this head gasket issue and Toyota would not cover it under the extended warranty...

Do both the standard 2.2 and the T180 have similarities with regards to the head gaskets?

Or do all 2.2 engines suffer from this issue? I hear the Lexus IS220d suffers from this head gasket issue too!!!

Any advice would be much appreciated

it also affects the 2.0 D4d although they seem less prone.

The TSB that I have a copy of says:

Vehicles Covered

Those vehicles fitted with AD diesel engines

Avensis with 1AD or 2AD (Prod. Date: Apr 2005 to Feb 2009)

RAV4 with 2AD (Prod. Date: Jul 2005 to Dec 2008)

Auris with 1AD or 2AD (Prod. Date: Sep 2006 to Sep 2009)

Verso with 2AD (Prod. Date: Apr 2005 to Nov 2008)

Age / Mileage Covered

These guidelines cover vehicles up to 7 years old and 111,846 miles (180,000 km), whichever the

sooner. This is conditional on there being a retail customer complaint and the vehicle having been

reasonably maintained.

Why would Toyota not cover your old 2.2 under the extended warranty?

Buy one thats had a new 3/4 engine fitted by Mr T! When these engines are running fine they are one of the best oil burners on the road...

• 1 month later...

I have a T180 on a 07 plate which had done 58k... A couple of months ago my car began to show symptoms of head gasket failure. I took it to my local Toyota dealer who confirmed the problem and with no hassle changed the engine on warranty. Whilst the engine was out they offered me a new clutch at cost with no labour fee. I was going to get rid but seeing as the engine has just done over a 1000 miles its like a new car. So yes the T180 engine is covered by Toyota.

Yes I agree with the above posts, I have a 2007 D4D 2.0 with 87,000 and had the head gasket issue. Dealer changing the engine under the extended warranty no quibbles. Dealer told me that it is due to carbon build up on top of pistons so the pistons have been re-designed on the refurbished engines. Also he reassured me that these rebuilt engines have come from Toyota Japan and not some back street engine builder. I think that Toyota really want to put this head gasket problem behind them and will not take the chance of fitting sub standard engines. I too was going to get rid once the work was done but after basically getting a new engine, injectors and clutch it would be foolish and I agree with the other member that the D4D is a bombproof reliable power plant when its running right and its had its pistons redesigned so surely it can only get better.

• 4 weeks later...

im looking at one of these with 82k on the clock

but reluctent to take the plunge due to these headgasket claims

its an 2008 model

is there any way to tell if it already been done or is due to happen i also hear the DMF are prone to failure

i really cant decide what to do

I have a 06 2.2 D4D and its an awesome car. A T180 would be out of this world and if you can get one within the age and mileage covered by the extended warranty, well, that would be even better.

i also hear the DMF are prone to failure

tbh I don't think that they are any worse than other diesels with DMFs.

plus points: all the toys, looks good & drives nicely

minus: the T180 won't return the same mpg as the 150bhp 2.2, DPF