Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis D4D Lack Of Power? Turbo Issues?

Speck

Hi guys, first post here and I have a little problem with my avensis.

I have the 2L 1CD FTV diesel engine and have found that there is no boost when going up through the gears. I have briefly inspected the impeller shaft by removing the intake pipe and there doesn't seem to be any play or other signs of any breakdown in the turbo itself and it turns over just fine.

I removed the boost pipe to the intercooler while running and found its pumping out exhaust gases though. This should surely be clean air and not have exhaust gases in it, no?

I tried operating the wastegate by hand and it seems to be opening and closing as expected too.

I removed and cleaned the EGR valve,

I inspected all relevant piping for breaks or leaks with no luck,

Can anyone shed any light on what possible issues could be at work here? I'm suspecting the turbo to be at fault but aside from the exhaust gases from the boost pipe, there doesn't seem to be any other signs of problems with it.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

search power loss on the forum,(mine was sorted after cleaning egr valve) after my research it could be scv coils, mass air flow sensor,clogged fuel filter.

Hi,

Thanks for the info mate, I'll have to check those out with a multimeter and see how I get on, Hopefully that'll be the end of it then.

What do you think of the exhaust gases from the boost pipes though? is that common?

PS, does it cost much to replace these valves if they are bad? Should they always be changed together or individually depending on test results?

Personally if I was you I would check the resistance of scvs. if they are ok. clean the maf sensor , check the fuel filter if necessary change it, Scv's cost around £200 as far as I'm aware, PM either called igor or t-spiritepete they know their stuff or hopefully they will see this and quote me if I'm wrong.

'What do you think of the exhaust gases from the boost pipes though? is that common?'

Im not too sure if its common, I have only provided you the advice I was given when my avensis suffered power loss and from comments I have read on here.

Hi guys, first post here and I have a little problem with my avensis.

I have the 2L 1CD FTV diesel engine and have found that there is no boost when going up through the gears. I have briefly inspected the impeller shaft by removing the intake pipe and there doesn't seem to be any play or other signs of any breakdown in the turbo itself and it turns over just fine.

I removed the boost pipe to the intercooler while running and found its pumping out exhaust gases though. This should surely be clean air and not have exhaust gases in it, no?

I tried operating the wastegate by hand and it seems to be opening and closing as expected too.

I removed and cleaned the EGR valve,

I inspected all relevant piping for breaks or leaks with no luck,

Can anyone shed any light on what possible issues could be at work here? I'm suspecting the turbo to be at fault but aside from the exhaust gases from the boost pipe, there doesn't seem to be any other signs of problems with it.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

hi matey

firstly - what is total milage?

service history ?

send us a video of starting up + reving at idle

regards / Igor

Hi thanks for the reply, I'll get a video of it as soon as I get time. :)

It has just over 100k on the clock and has fairly regular service with fully synth oil. It starts fine and the idle is still perfectly normal.

There's no noticeable issue with the engine itself other than what feels like a lack of boost. :)

Hi thanks for the reply, I'll get a video of it as soon as I get time. :)

It has just over 100k on the clock and has fairly regular service with fully synth oil. It starts fine and the idle is still perfectly normal.

There's no noticeable issue with the engine itself other than what feels like a lack of boost. :)

ok check with:

- VSV on the turbo;

- an easyness of the vanes rotation (arc);

- check with an vacuum impulse tube joinging to intake maniford;

no boost may be resulted: fuel filter clogging; air filter clogging; SCV playing; poor injection; rail pressure sensor issue; MAF sensor covered by carbon; ECU error etc etc

try to check step by step having excluded one by one.

regards / Igor

• 6 years later...

Hi guys. I've 2008 Toyota avensis 2l d4d I've just serviced it and it's burning oil pretty bad (no leaks) when removing oil cap there's alot of pressure. Any ideas I'm thinking it must be rings. But occurring when just serviced has baffled me. 

23 minutes ago, David81 said:

Hi guys. I've 2008 Toyota avensis 2l d4d I've just serviced it and it's burning oil pretty bad (no leaks) when removing oil cap there's alot of pressure. Any ideas I'm thinking it must be rings. But occurring when just serviced has baffled me. 

Have you overfilled the engine oil.????

Check when engine is cold and standing on level ground. Pull dipstick out, wipe clean, replace, leave for 30 seconds, remove carefully and check. There is a max and min mark. The oil should not be below min mark, nor above max mark.

I had same problem on an old Rav. Think it was two of the injector seals I had replaced, two out of four were no good, cured oil burning and the pressure problem.

• 4 months later...

Catlover I've had the exact same problem. When removing the oil cap there's alot of blowback. Can anyone share any light on this. 2008 2l d4d just serviced. Oil levels are dropping etc