Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Low Mpg, Toyota Avensis Vermont

kebab69man

Hi guys & dolls,

My first post here. I know this subject has been hammered to death, I've read through the threads and not seen the definative answer.

Just recently bought my Toyota Avensis after reading good reports about the MPG on autotrader, only to find out its wrong.

According to Autotrader data, my vehicle should do around 30 MPG town driving and 45 on a run.

According to my OBC trip, I'm getting between 22-26 MPG around town and 29MPG on a run. This is rather believable as the tank empty light comes on very fast.

The car has been fully serviced and I've given her a run on the M1 to blast the engine through, but still getting rubbish MPG readings and a tank needle dropping very fast.

Any Suggestions, other than buy a micra?

Cheers

try using bp or Shell fuel rather than supermarket fuel, see if it makes a difference. or maybe try redex?

try using bp or shell fuel rather than supermarket fuel, see if it makes a difference. or maybe try redex?

Hi there.

Thanks for the advice, but I already am using redex and non supermarket fuel.

Made that mistate a few times and noticed the petrol gauge drop quickly in my Mazda, which was usually very good on fuel.

The ironey is, i saw the mechannic pull the air filter out and it was black. However, when I drove back from the garage, the average mpg was at 30mpg which was excellent, then it dropped to 22, and stayed, which is worst than before the service. :(

try using bp or shell fuel rather than supermarket fuel, see if it makes a difference. or maybe try redex?

Hi there.

Made that mistate a few times and noticed the petrol gauge drop quickly in my Mazda, which was usually very good on fuel.

The ironey is, i saw the mechannic pull the air filter out and it was black. However, when I drove back from the garage, the average mpg was at 30mpg which was excellent, then it dropped to 22, and stayed, which is worst than before the service. :(

what did you exactly have done in your full service?

hi there i dont know if this will be any use but i had the same trouble with my t2 1.8 i have had some supurb advice from these forums i would look at cleaning the maf sensor with some contact cleaner what really improved mine was i had standard plugs in to start with then i read about Iridium plugs bought a set from eBay for about 30 quid and what a difference they made they also recomend bg44k fuel treatment a lot on these boards but the Iridium plugs did it for me might be worth checking whats in yours cheers

Hi there.

what did you exactly have done in your full service?

engine oil, oil filter, air filter, new spark plugs, breaks cleaned and bulbs checked.

quote,, and I've given her a run on the M1 to blast the engine through..Maybe thats your problem my friend, a heavy right foot..9/10 with poor mpg fiqures its the driving style, sometimes you need to understand the operation of an engine to maximise fuel economy, when I aim to get hyper miles I drive totally different to normal driving, knowing when to come off the throttle, throttle opening in relation to engine rpm and load etc.

Try adjusting your driving style and use less throttle opening, hold on to your gears a little longer with light throttle etc.

If I drive in a normal day town/A roads I achieve an average of 48-52mpg, but when I hyper mile I can easily obtain 70+mpg, totally different driving style and some times with burst and cruise, Now that's another driving technique

Your Avensis should be averaging 35mpg in town and mid to high 40's on longer runs! My older Avensis with the lean burn engine is doing this right now, and I am driving normally using the power when needed.

You could have a blocked catalytic converter (your car may have 3 cats if vvti). You did not say what age or engine for your car but I am assuming you have the vvti engine. Is it burning oil? Is the vvti working? Is the EML light on? has the car need emissions tested? This will help by telling if the engine is burning the fuel properly.

Since you bought the car second hand, you will not know how the car has been used and may have some service history with it. A lot of questions, but hopefully you find the solution from them. A diagnostic check may help.

Good luck

Your Avensis should be averaging 35mpg in town and mid to high 40's on longer runs! My older Avensis with the lean burn engine is doing this right now, and I am driving normally using the power when needed.

You could have a blocked catalytic converter (your car may have 3 cats if vvti). You did not say what age or engine for your car but I am assuming you have the vvti engine. Is it burning oil? Is the vvti working? Is the EML light on? has the car need emissions tested? This will help by telling if the engine is burning the fuel properly.

Since you bought the car second hand, you will not know how the car has been used and may have some service history with it. A lot of questions, but hopefully you find the solution from them. A diagnostic check may help.

Good luck

Hi there,

My car is a Toyota Avensis Vermont 2002 1.8 vvti. It has a full dealer service history to 2011 with the mileage and reg confirmed at each stage in the stamp book. The car is due an MOT in march, so the truth about the emmissions will be known then.

I'm only going on the trip computer at the moment. Filled to the brim this morning, so will do the 60 litre test to establish the true town driving MPG. I expect the 22-25 mpg will be about right for a 10 year old heavy car. My BMW was exactly the same, but its offical stats did say less than 20mpg around town, where as the Avensis data was more than missleading.

Think cleaning the air mask meter piping will be a job for sunday morning.

Edited by kebab69man

• 2 weeks later...

The vvti engine which was meant to be an improvement on the leanburn engine it replaced, has had a lot of problems! These problems like oil burning, vvti not working properly, block catalitic converters, have been known issues within this forum.

The earlier 7A-FE leanburn engine which the vvti engine replaced, has no problems other than how it is looked after.

So my car which has done nearly 400 miles on 2/3 of a tank is good, whilst your car has a deeper problem. Other owners with your engine have got good economy too, so it is not the car in general(when healthy).

Others may comment on this.

The vvti engine which was meant to be an improvement on the leanburn engine it replaced, has had a lot of problems! These problems like oil burning, vvti not working properly, block catalitic converters, have been known issues within this forum.

The earlier 7A-FE leanburn engine which the vvti engine replaced, has no problems other than how it is looked after.

So my car which has done nearly 400 miles on 2/3 of a tank is good, whilst your car has a deeper problem. Other owners with your engine have got good economy too, so it is not the car in general(when healthy).

Others may comment on this.

I'm getting the urban mpg as the schematics show, so there's nothing wrong with the car, its working as Toyota intended.

Fuel Consumption Imperial (miles per gallon) Urban 25.20 MPG Extra-Urban 43.50 MPG Combined

34.00 MPG

• 1 month later...

well those figures sound right enuf,mine a 2002 1.8vvti gets 38 mpg combined,what sort of mileage is on your car ??