Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Fuel For Our Rav 4 2008 Xtr D-4D

Mtalhead72

We have taken ownership of a lovely rav 4 2008 xtr d-4d. I've spoken to quite a few people about our car and each one of them says that we should use a premium fuel to fill the tank.

Now before we took ownership of our rav a couple of days ago, we was running around in a 2011 Aygo and was just filling up this car with supermarket petrol. So I suppose the question is should I be filling up the rav with let's say, Shell v-power. Or even, I was thinking off using normal Shell and then putting in a additive like 'Millers Diesel Power Ecomax'.. Wha do you think ?

I suppose what I want to do is keep the engine clean and try to getter even better MPG ?

Having had an EGR problem on our last Rav we now use Shell V-Power or just ordinary Shell if our local garage has no V--Power, you pays for what you get ! Bit of 'Anorak' info below.

V-Power Diesel is Shell's version of an enhanced diesel similar, say to BPs 'Ultimate Diesel'. Like BP Ultimate Diesel, Shell V-Power Diesel is designed for modern compression-ignition diesel engines, to facilitate enhanced engine performance along with increased engine protection, for more consistent operation and engine longevity.

V-Power Diesel is a blend of regular petroleum-based diesel and synthetic diesel, created using gas to liquids (GTL), along with some extra additives designed to clean the injection system and improve injection pump and injector lubricity.

One characteristic of V-Power diesel is that it is a lot clearer and odourless than normal diesel, mainly due to the synthetic GTL component.

The fuel is slightly less dense than regular diesel so, per volume, the unit energy is actually lower than regular diesel. This is offset, as the fuel tends to ignite more readily (and thus has a higher cetane rating) than regular diesel, and a side benefit of this is that it tends to produce less soot during combustion.

Mtalhead....summed up well enough in the first two lines of Paul's reply....either standard diesel or V-Power / BP Ultimate should keep yer engine and EGR running sweeter and cleaner.....and welcome t'club of us nutterz.

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Costs a few extra quid on each fillup to get the premium fuel, if it looks afer your engine and keeps it clean then worth it my opinion.

Hopefully in the long run it will pay dividends and prevent costly issues arising.

Keeping all my fuel reciepts, so come the time when i come to sell it may secure that sale to someone who recognises the benefit of using premium fuel.

One tin of BG244 in a full tank of premium to purge it out then premium diesel with no additives. When you are 3/4 of the way through your tank with BG244 find a hill where you can make the engine work hard for a minute or so at full throttle and a gear for about 4000rpm. That will send full volume of hot exhaust through your EGR to blow out the cobwebs.

• If you can use the V-Power juice then do so as it will help maintain the fuel system and EGR valve as it has twice the additive of dino derv and being a semi synth GTL its cleaner. I also like to use BG244 every 10k and Archoil 6200.

Costs a few extra quid on each fillup to get the premium fuel, if it looks afer your engine and keeps it clean then worth it my opinion.

Hopefully in the long run it will pay dividends and prevent costly issues arising.

Keeping all my fuel reciepts, so come the time when i come to sell it may secure that sale to someone who recognises the benefit of using premium fuel.

Honestly, Lee, from very recent experience of selling my car (only run on V-Power...), wait until 5/11 and burn your fuel receipts.....nobody, but nobody, will donate an excrement (give a sh**) regarding your absolutely commendable usage of only top grade fuel......the whole world thinks it's a buyer's market....that's why RRG sold mine at a stonking profit margin......private buyers are few and far between and have developed terrible cases of numerical dyslexia. They think buying from a dealer with a warranty really makes a difference.....watch the dealer wriggle when push comes to push....

It's a funny ol' game, but since I traded in my car, 3 "really interested" buyers have surfaced.....

Big Kev....aka Rant O'Ver (Donegal)

To be fair, the buyer of your old car will have a stonking warranty from RRG. They always sort out warranty issues.

To be fair, the buyer of your old car will have a stonking warranty from RRG. They always sort out warranty issues.

One shall never know, sir.....and it's my PREVIOUS car, not my OLD car....thank you. Still suffering from separation anxiety, and you call it OLD......

One shall never know, sir.....and it's my PREVIOUS car, not my OLD car....thank you. Still suffering from separation anxiety, and you call it OLD......

To be fair to Old Kev, the car is a lot younger than he is..... sorry the previous car is a lot younger than he is :lol:

There seems to be a concensus that high grade diesel is beneficial to diesel engines but boes anyone have any evidence that using branded (Shell/BP etc) standard (not high octane) PETROL is better for the VVT-i engine that using supermarket fuels?

Well my tuppence worth is Shell V-Power when available. It may just be psychological but I swear it's a little smoother with that in the tank and the difference in cost isn't great when taken into the scheme of things. It has had the odd tank of supermarket special, but it's infrequent. I'm also intrigued by the BG224 stuff too, might whack some in when I'm on a run next, what harm can it do? :D

Cheers guys, well about to go and fill up for the second time (since we had the rav) with v-power. I've spent many an hour looking on forums and found some many conflicting reports about not to use or to use v-power. Personally, I'm going to stick with it.. As at the very least, it's a cleaner fuel then standard derv

the main idea is the diesel engiine is most effective on long distance enabling gases to burn deposits (carbon) out from EGR; turbo; cat etc/

even though you use branded diesel -- the burning products plies are accumulated each time you start the engine for short trip. one day you feel struggling and power lose/ the branded fuels are only extend cleaning intervals but not remove this issue.

my opinion is based on experience only and might be considered as subjective. regards

the main idea is the diesel engiine is most effective on long distance enabling gases to burn deposits (carbon) out from EGR; turbo; cat etc/

even though you use branded diesel -- the burning products plies are accumulated each time you start the engine for short trip. one day you feel struggling and power lose/ the branded fuels are only extend cleaning intervals but not remove this issue.

my opinion is based on experience only and might be considered as subjective. regards

As usual you are correct but the idea behind by using premium diesel (among other things) is to `extend the cleaning intervals` for those of us who don`t do many long journeys. :)