Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Winter Tyres

Soeley

It's that time of year again, and I have been thinking of getting some, especially this year as I now have my 17" rims on. I thought it would be best for winter to put my STD 16" back on with winter tyres, One reason is to save my 17" and to go back to a narrower width.

I had been phoning round a few local tyre places only to be told the only 16" winter tyre available is a run flat, and they don't recommend fitting them to cars that aren't specified for them. I think due to not having TPMS and suspension set up is different.

Therefore I phoned my Vantage Toyota and found they can get winter tyres for the iQ by Falken. The guy in the service dept' told me Toyota had ordered a load in for the iQ and had them stocked :)

Now I have only ordered two (for the front wheels), as I managed OK last winter with the Dunlop Sports on. I only lost traction twice on hills where I had to stop because other vehicles had got stuck and polished the snow into pack ice. So I'm hoping the winter tyres will give the added traction in that instance.

I hope you don't mean you're only going to be using 2 winter tyres along with 2 summer ones. Think I might get a set for the Yaris this year.

You need to read up on Winter Tyres first. Your Toyota Dealer will store your summer tyres for you usually free.Fit 4 or them.

I have winter rubber for my other car and for the first year I only had the front as I like a bit of over steer. ;)

For the second year I had some all season rubber (Kleber Quadraxer) and must say that they are excellent, even when its monsoon raining.

Unless you have driven rear wheel drive I'd recommend fitting 4 winter or not at all. It may be ok loosing traction going up hill, but what about coming down a hill and losing control? Not so good.

Fish

I got winter tyres for last winter, they have been on the car since then and have worked brilliantly in our wonderfully hot summer we all enjoyed this year. :disgust:

Next year we are hoping to see some sun and swap the tyres back to the summer variety. :driving:

You must NOT fit just two winter tyres, they must be fitted as a set because the handling of the vehicle can be adversly affected through the different levels of grip

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hello!

Surely, mixed tires even worse, than all summer. I mean handling, cornering, braking. Even more attention should be taken for rear wheels, because their performance suffer first in wet or snow conditions. Watch video here:

With respect.

Hi Averageuser, I think the video is a good one in explaining what to do with your tyres, but surely the cars in question, as in those used in the video, are rear wheel drive? It makes sense to put the new tyres on the rear, as I used to when I had rear wheel drive cars, as they provide traction from the engine. But with the whole Toyota range, barring the GT-86 and 4WD vehicles, are front wheel drive, so a pair of new tyres would go on the front. I do agree though that if you are going for winter tyres, get a full set. Those rear wheels may be dragging behind the car, but they are important, otherwise the car would only have two wheels right.

:driving:

The experts have us believing that about all 4 tyres,

& the not so expert, so we best listen.

But some of us live in areas with a good few weeks of winter & personally i have loved driving winters for well over 3 decades.

Every chance to go winter or snow driving i take.

Early on Front wheel drive Minis and others then rear wheel drives with Town & County's and a bag of salt in the boot.

You drive to the conditions,

& if you can not move for the wrong tyres, understeer is not a problem.

4 winter tyres on rear wheel drivers are a good idea, drive & steer/brake.

You usually get on OK with a front driver & Cold weather or Snow tyres and a good pair on the rear.

You drive to what you are driving.

The iQ does pretty well on standard tyres in prepared cold roads and really quite good in snow,

but obviously going slow for the conditions.

I had to switch off the electrics tho.

Up to the driver & the conditions really.

I have had winter tyres twice on the front of my daily driver already this winter, then removed them as the weather never stayed cold.

4 tyres will go on when the Snow arrives. I have loads of tyres to choose from and they seldom get much use.

If i was traveling in the weather that needs the correct tyres, they go on. 30 minutes job done.

george

I like to have the right tyres, just can never control the right weather.

Bring on the snow.

post-104736-0-79750000-1351776101_thumb.

post-104736-0-67870800-1351776152_thumb.

post-104736-0-25810300-1351776415_thumb.

Hi, watch again carefully. Said both drives regardless of front or rear. Thank you.

Once again, you will have more drag on rear wheels when you mount here new winter tires for front wheel drive vehicles, but safety on motorways first is not it, Sir?

Yes best for safety on the Motorway or any road really.

No Motorways north of Perth but plenty of dangerous roads and road conditions.

this morning was minus 3 degrees and my other halfs summer tyres were not venturing on any road.

But its Wet Weather tyres that went on not snow tyres yet.

george

post-104736-0-42322200-1351777309_thumb.

Off course you are right, in those conditions may need other ways to be found, but we live in real world and 95% drivers drive vehicles on paved roads and this means for very average driver, unarmed with deep theories above statement is true. Thank you.