Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.0 D4D Losing Coolant

chandler32

I have a 2004 D4D Hatchback which has recently started losing coolant. If I top it up to the max line then after driving say 40 miles over a day or so then it'll be back to just under the low line but doesn't seem to lose any more. If it I top it up again then it drops back to the same point.

Headgasket - no white smoke, no white gunk under oil filler cap or dipstick and the oil level doesn't seem to be going up. Car runs smoothly overall but can be a little slow and grumbly to start/crank.

A few weeks back I drove though a load of 6" deep water and after stopping a few miles later couldn't restart for an hour or so but I'd assumed this was water in some electrics and had dried itself out.

I've got a 400 mile journey this week so could do with some peace of mind - has anyone else had a similar problem or know of any common coolant leak points?

Many thanks!

possible points are:

- cooling pump mechanical ceal failure;

- A/C coolant matrix;

- radiator;

- rubbr hoses with clips

- expansion tank lid rubber ring issue

regards / Igor

I don't suppose you've noticed any puddles or damp patches under the car (Tricky to spot I know, given all the recent rain!)

I can only imagine a leak or it's getting boiled off somewhere. Loose jubilee clip? Rusty radiator?

Avensis water pumps are a known weak spot.

Avensis water pumps are a known weak spot.

Thanks for all the replies. The timing belt was done a month ago so i now wonder if its killed the old pump bearings -> ( http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=98799 )

Would a failing water pump leak externally though or just start to loose coolant pressure?

Many thanks!

it would leak externally but the most obvious sign is falling coolant level in the expansion tank.

Hi chandler. I had same problem before and it was from the water pump.If you look on the lefthand side of engine you should spot the coolant leak as it is pink colour. My advice is to change waterpump same time with timing belt,even if looks ok.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links