Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav 4 D4D T-180 Advice Please

marshy01uk

Hi I have the opportunity to purchase a 56 plate RAV 4 D-4D T180 fully loaded mileage is however 100k

The price appears reflective of this and the vehicle is in excellent condition. Should I have any concerns with this mileage on this engine? I have owned several other makes of diesel cars with mileage inexcess of 100k without any issues, ford, VW, SEAT

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian and wecome to The Club,

Your very car and some of its peers had / have an inherent (but not every car....) oil burning fault which Toyota put there hands up to and have given an extended engine warranty of 7 years / 107,000 miles. So you have approx 1 year and/or 7k miles for this warranty to come into play....or a Toyota Dealer could easily trace by registration whether or not it has already had a new engine with mods fitted. The "new engine fitted" is much more preferable to any other "fix" a dealer has implemented, so much so that IMHO, if it has been rectified other than by the official engine swop, .......leave well aloneski.

It is VERY WELL DOCUMENTED hereon if you do a search.

Big Kev

Hi, thanks for being so quick to reply. I know this may be a silly question but does that mean if the engine is in its original state without any mods, and I was to purchase the vehicle without an existing engine fault Toyota would honour the warranty and either renew or modify?

Provided the car has been 'reasonably serviced' i.e in accordance with Toyota guidelines and you can prove it, then yes. The policy now is to replace with a re-engineered three quarter engine. See here:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=132178#entry1175067

Take a search for the TSB on the forum. Or look up Charliefarleys guide to the 2AD engine thats fitted to Rav as well as Avensis ect. Toyota will honor the extended warranty if you have had the car serviced (And doesn't have to be from main agent) and maintained. Its all in the guide to see mate...

I believe that some replacement engines have also developed the oil burning problem. Not sure how you'd identify that but as long as you have some warranty left and are fairly expeditious about checking oil consumption and getting your local Mr T on board if you suspect any problems you'll be ok. It's a bit of hassle but you could find yourself with a good car with a new engine for the price you are paying for a good car with an old engine - not a bad proposition.

Apart from that oil burning problem, that vintage RAV4 is pretty good (they are all good); some niggles with pads depositing crud on to discs but that will have been sorted on 'yours', I should think. I did 78k miles in mine before trading it in last weekend and it was a brilliant car - really loved it.