Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Recall

acetip

Received a letter this morning about booking in my car for the window switch check.

Do not consider it that urgent ,so will wait till the rush is over.

As i use the climate control all the time never i have the window open other when parked and sitting in the car.so the window switches get little use.

I am assuming this problem arises in switches that get a lot of use. I could be wrong though.

It could happen with any master switch, you are right not to panic, but it does need doing, this is from the Toyota blog

What is the condition?

The electric window switch, or Power Window Master Switch (“PWMS”), controls the windows for the driver and passengers. It has come to our attention that on certain RAV4, Auris and Yaris and Corolla* models built between September 2006 and December 2008 the possibility exists that the PWMS, located in the driver’s door, may over time begin to feel uneven or notchy when it is operated. Continued operation in this condition may cause the switch to stick or become inoperable. The switch is not designed to be lubricated with commercially available lubricants. Application of these lubricants could lead to overheating and/or melting of the switch assembly.

There has been one reported case in the UK. There are no reported accidents related to this issue.

I was at the dealers yesterday getting my car checked over due to the oil light coming on whilst on the motorway. I only topped it up a few weeks ago, so I wanted it checked over incase there is a consumption issue.

Anyway (getting to the point), I asked for them to check the computer as I thought mine was due work on 2 recalls and it is (Window switch and rear suspension).

The service guy informed me that the switch is not an urgent issue, and the reason for the recall was simply because a customer had a notchy/sticky switch and decided to spray some sort of lubricant (WD40?) into the switch whilst operating it, which allowed the (flammable) liquid to get inside the switch and cause it to melt.

So, as long as you are not daft enough to spray anything into an electrical switch you should be fine :)

Hi Davey wondered where you'd been.

It seems no problems reported in the UK but a problems in the USA only. At least thats what ive been told by my dealer, but then thats par for thr course.

I don't want to start stereotyping, but Americans do lack a common sense gene on occasions ;)

I've been around, but have had many things going on which has taken priority over my forum interest.

My car has been booked in for next Friday to have the recalls done, so I will update this thread if I have anything of importance to report. For the most part, I think i will be without the car for a couple of hours and it will be no different (noticeably in any case) on collection and I will carry on as normal. I hope :)

Mine was checked today when car went in for service and MOT.. it had been notchy at times and I had reported this back last year when I first purchased the car but nothing was checked at the time.. I thought it was another inherent problem I had 'bought' along with the MMT problems and compared to that, the notchy window was the least of my problems! I asked today when I collected car and was told it had been checked .. but I am not sure whether it was faulty or not.. I was preoccupied at the time with entering my pin number in the machine and thinking how xmas may have to be cancelled and did not push for more info! :-) So all is well that ends well....

Had my recalls done today. Nothing to report from them so I assume that all was well.

The car was given a clean and an inspection was done to check it over.

Aside from low tread all round (the rears have done 39k) which was expected, the car is fine.

Another good experience from Toyota :)

Just out of interest Davey - what tyres are you using ? Please excuse the topic change !

Just had the recall done for the window switch at Rochdale brilliant service.

I didnt expect them to wash and vac the car and provide a full safety report, for a 79,000 mileage car every box was ticked green meaning its in good condition apart from 2 advisory on the front tyres although they are at 4mm tread, it gives me peace of mind knowing the MOT is coming up & that its ready for winter.

Just out of interest Davey - what tyres are you using ? Please excuse the topic change !

Rear Tyres are the originals fitted from Factory. Dunlop Sp01 i think from memory.

Awful road noise, but great wear.

Fronts are bridgestones and have done aprox 15k, but have another 3-5k left on them.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links