Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4.3 D4D Acceleration Hesitation

ASeyc

Hi,

Last week my check engine light went on so I connected my laptop with an ELM adapter to the OBD port to find out that the error was P0400. This error indicates an exhaust gas recirculation malfunction so I thought I need to find some time to clean up to EGR as I never did it. For that moment I switched off the check engine and it didnt come back on for a whole week.

Last Saturday I found some time to remove the EGR and clean it thoroughly with carb cleaner and I must say that it came quite neat. After cleaning it, i cycled thw ignition multiple times to see that the EGR solenoid moves during the initial checks.

Last Tuesday while taking off from a halt I noticed that on 1st, 2nd and 3rd the car is like hesitating in terms of power then once it goes beyond a certain rev (probably 2500) it suddenly gains the power again. The problem is quite intermittent however during the last 3 days it did it at least once per day.

Strange thing is that the check engine never came back on which I would imagine to come on in the event of a faulty sensor.

Do you guys have any suggestions as to what this could be. Is it a pure coincidence that this happended after the EGR cleanup?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

AS

First things first, change the fuel filter. If it then still does it, take that valve off and make sure you can hear a metallic "ping" if you open it with long nose pliers and then let it snap shut. You might need to knock out the core plug in the end of the body to see in properly.

Thanks for the reply.

I will change the fuel,filter as you said and see how it goes. Anyway I had to change it eventually.

I am assuming that the core plug you are referring to is that round brass-like cap no?

Is there something I need to be aware of before opening the cap? I saw in another thread that you suggested to make some markings to the motor body but I am assuming that it applies only to when you remove also the motor...

Thanks again.

Well yes it does but you are better with the motor off anyway. You can then get a thin punch to knock out the end core plug which allows you a pretty good view all inside the valve and you can easily "ping" it like a pinball plunger to check it is working. When you carefully tap the plug back in afterwards, just use a centrepop to swell the soft alloy at 2 or 3 places around the circumference - just to keep it in place

You can always bid up on this new one;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221146065178?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

......but don't go mad until you checked the price with Kingo.

Strangely enough the acceleration issue seems to have been solved by itself. I am suspecting that the carb cleaner dislodged some sooth betweenne seals and the valve needed some use for the sooth to be removed completely.

Anyway, today I will still change the diesel filter.

Thanks again for the info.

Aye, rid that filter. If there are any drops of water in the bottom it will only encourage waxing when the frost comes.

Changed the filter last Saturday. Dont know if possible but the car feels and sounds smoother. Might be my impression but even my wife noticed it.

Anyway it was quite straightforward especially when following the instruction on one of the threads on this forum.

Anchorman, frosting is a bit difficult here in Malta :).

Thanks again

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links