Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flappy Rear Disk Shields/vibration

pmb

Didn't want to hijack the thread from Neil but I have a similar problem. Noticed an increase in road noise at lower speeds and once around 40 mph a vibration starts. Had a look today and wheel nuts were torqued fine , tyres are fine but noticed the shields were loose. One wasn't connected at all and the other just about is. Could this be causing it? More importantly can the shields be changed on their own or is it more expensive than that as I can't see any nuts to hold them on to anything?

edit : meant disc of course. Can you edit a title?

Could be the shields but did you try easing on the footbrake while it is vibrating?

Brakes didn't make any difference Don. It's moved on a bit since then as I was driving yesterday and the vibration became a knocking. Don't think the shields would cause that but they need replacing anyway as does the handbrake cables and shoes because the handbrake was sticking on. Had it in the local garage today and he said when you set off in 1st the diff assembly jumps around (think it was on rollers) but the mounts look fine. I think he was scratching his head a bit. Any thoughts on this?

If the rear discs become worn, the pads have a nasty habit of catching on each rotation and they nock 7 bells out of the caliper. Just check there are no eggs on the tyre (you can watch an assistant to slowly drive away from you and you will see a problem with a tyre instantly). If not have a good look at the brakes. For as hard as the rear axle is trying to turn the wheels forward, it is trying to climb out of its mountings backwards so any snags there should be relatively easy to spot by rocking it gently too and fro against the handbrake.

Having similar woes with my rear brakes. Just put the Rav back on the road after 6 months in the garage and the rear brakes are sticking and making a bit of noise.

MOT due in a fortnight so things will be put to rights then. Unfortunately on my way to work this morning I became aware of a rubbing noise from rear passenger side and after a quick inspection it was clear that the dirt shield on the backplate had come loose and was catching the wheel.

Checking an old thread it appears that it is spot welded to the backplate and Mr T wants £370 for the whole assembly!

Looks as if I will have to come up with a plan, possible trip to the local breakers is on the cards.

That explains why I couldn't find any nuts then. That price is per side I take it and does it include vat? Is it OK to run without the shields does anyone know? The garage hasn't got round to looking at the knocking noise yet as they are working on the new handbrake cables and shoes. You have to drop the fuel tank to change them! (the handbrake was sticking and came off with a clonk, apparently at least one of the shoes was worn right down) In trying to take the tank off more rusty bits and sheared bolts. Turning into a bit of a saga.

The cost does not include vat and is per side according to the thread that I read. I'm not sure if you can do without the dirt shield for MOT purposes but I'll soon find out as mine is due at the end of November.

I know a fella that is very good at the old fabricating welding malarky and will see what he can do for me. I can't stomach £800 for two backplates (the other one looks ropey) so I will have to limp along till next spring.

Picked the car up earlier and the vibration/knocking appears to have gone on the short journey I made. Surprised that the shields would cause that. As an aside if you need new handbrake cables the amount of stuff that needs to be disconnected is silly and it gets expensive. Will be interested to know about the mot requirement.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm pleased to say that my RAV passed the MOT today despite the corroded part of the backplate parting company with the car last week. My mechanic said that the structural part where the shoes attach was not compromised so it was fine.

Still planning to track these down from a vehicle dismantler(posh term for a scrappy :-) and have them welded for extra strength then blasted and powder coated to be fitted later.

Mr T's price is to rich for my blood.