Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Troublesome Avensis

Bwithers

Hello,

I have had my 2005 Toyota Avensis for 12 months now and have a couple of issues I would like some advice on please?

a) Since its last oil change 12 months it has used 2 litres of oil. I exhaust looks normal and it doesnt smoke.

B) The air heater in the car does not heat the air consistenly...it becomes warm when it wants...despite being on hot all the time.

The water level in the radiator top up tank seems to disappear as well. That drops from max to min within 3 months. What can I top this up with...the manual says not to use water by itself.

Thanks for any insight!

Cheers,

Bryce

I have no special knowledge about the 2005 avensis as I have just bought a 2001 Avensis myself, but

if anyone are to give you any recommandations they would at least need to know the model of engine, what distance the car has been driven in the 12 months you have owned it and its total mileage. Did you check the oil level after you bought the car? Did the engine need 2 litres of oil to reach the same level on the dipstick? IIRC my cars engine (1AZ-FSE) takes 1.8 litres from the minimum to the maximum level on the dipstick. I have read that the 1.8 vvti have had oil problems, but they should have been sorted by 2005.

a) Since its last oil change 12 months it has used 2 litres of oil. I exhaust looks normal and it doesnt smoke.

B) The air heater in the car does not heat the air consistenly...it becomes warm when it wants...despite being on hot all the time.

The water level in the radiator top up tank seems to disappear as well. That drops from max to min within 3 months. What can I top this up with...the manual says not to use water by itself.

1) it seems you might have either cooling system leak or expansion tank lid rubber gasket failure or head gasket issue. Check ti cooling pumpm attached -- whether or not it has coolant leaks under. Besides also inspect engine underneath on coolant leak spots. PLease also condise coolant system bleeding to escape an air. It is understood if no coolant is in the expansion tank available -- then the heater matrix might not be filled , as well. Firstly you have to find a reason of level reducing.

2) As to an oil -- check with service history -- if cat converter has already been changed before your ownership. Take white cotton rag and try to clean a tail pipe inside just to see if an oil traces are available just to understand if you have an oil burning issue.

regards / Igor

Hi,

Ive just had a peek at the V5 and have some more info.

Its 2004 (not 05) variant ZZT251(W) T3-S 1794 CC.

39.7k miles last time the oil was changed (I hadnt checked it after this) and the level oil light flicked on when going around a corner...so I checked it and had no oil on the dipstick (46.3k).. .added 2 litres and now its at the bottom bump on the dipstick.

Thanks Igor and Perdaniel for your advice. I will have a look or at least be a little more knowledable when head for the garage.

Bryce

39.7k miles last time the oil was changed (I hadnt checked it after this)

You should never, ever drive any car 40.000 miles (64.000 km) between oil changes. You need to change the oil as soon as possible.

My mother has a 1999 Corolla with a 4A-FE engine, before she bought it my brother, who is trained as a Toyota mechanic, took a drive in it and said that the engine sounded wrong. It was the only 1.6 litre Corolla for sale in the area at the time, and the dealer agreed to fix the engine for free, so she bought it anyway. In the end they had to replace the short block on the engine. The reason for the damage was that a previous owner hadn't changes the oil at the proper intervals.

39.7k miles last time the oil was changed (I hadnt checked it after this)

You should never, ever drive any car 40.000 miles (64.000 km) between oil changes. You need to change the oil as soon as possible.

My mother has a 1999 Corolla with a 4A-FE engine, before she bought it my brother, who is trained as a Toyota mechanic, took a drive in it and said that the engine sounded wrong. It was the only 1.6 litre Corolla for sale in the area at the time, and the dealer agreed to fix the engine for free, so she bought it anyway. In the end they had to replace the short block on the engine. The reason for the damage was that a previous owner hadn't changes the oil at the proper intervals.

The cars odometer was at 40,000 miles when it was changed...it has been changed before then. :)

The cars odometer was at 40,000 miles when it was changed...it has been changed before then. :)

I'm sorry, I thought that you had done 40.000 miles without changing the oil.