Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Kettle !

rambler

As title.......i have had a car kettle for years,cheap one though.

Just tested it ( with engine running ),took 20 mins to boil two cups worth and the lead got quite warm,not good.

Anybody got any better versions in their Rav ,for those " just in case" winter breakdowns.

As its the time of year for hat,gloves,torch, and the all important mobile phone charger !.

Hi Jamie,

We've had a couple of those. One of the best was bought in Boots, a long time ago.

IIRC, most of them are 12v and around 120W. That's a 10A load (roughly), but the manufacturers often skimp on the quality of the connection cable. It's worthwhile replacing this (DIY), and going for something with around 2.5mm2. A length of 2-core flexible mains cable will do fine. With this, the valuable heats gets generated in the kettle element, not in the lead!

Chris

I had one of those, years ago. The flex was fine but the cigarette-lighter-style plug got VERY hot and either that or the socket melted in the end - can't remember which. Also it's possibly not very safe to trundle along with a boiling kettle in the footwell and I wouldn't like to sit with the engine idling for 20 minutes to boil water for two cups of tea. My advice would be to take a thermos... or a primus!!

My advice... campingGaz stove http://www.campingaz.com/uk/p-25974-camp-bistro.aspx small and portable. Takes gas cartridges which are cheap in packs of 3. Small kettle and your away. The whole lot should come in at under £15. I use this when I'm out in my truck.

To be honest, the whole concept of boiling a litre (or even half) of water with 12v is fairly ludicrous. And I agree totally with recognizing the hazards of doing this "on the move"!

A large truck cab, with decent "kettle holder" and 24v makes a bit more sense, I suppose . . .

Enjoy the brew.

Chris

My advice... campingGaz stove http://www.campingaz.com/uk/p-25974-camp-bistro.aspx small and portable. Takes gas cartridges which are cheap in packs of 3. Small kettle and your away. The whole lot should come in at under £15. I use this when I'm out in my truck.

+1

Take one of these when out for day.

Dave

I take the boiling water out of the rad...that's ok, isn't it??? :o lol

These are good but should not be used in an enclosed space.

In my van I will be using a 240v travel kettle for a brewup (using the customers power of course ;) ) and also refill a themos :)

+1

Take one of these when out for day.

Dave

True about an enclosed place, but crack the windows open for 5 mins and happy days. Truckers up and own the land use them everyday with no problems.

And they warm the cab up in the morning as well as making that first important essential brew !!!!

Absolutely Crofter. I'm not a full time trucker, I do the odd couple of days here and there. It's a hobby more than anything.

If you've got a stove with you in the car, may aswell have a tin of soup with you aswell. A mars bar wrapped in insulation tape is also a vital item of survival equipment :-)

My advice... campingGaz stove http://www.campingaz...amp-bistro.aspx small and portable. Takes gas cartridges which are cheap in packs of 3. Small kettle and your away. The whole lot should come in at under £15. I use this when I'm out in my truck.

Cheers Dominic

Thats a great idea,this is all about makeing a cuppa from scratch from a bottle of water stored in truck......if need be, my Rav4's getting a bit old now,and with 115'000 on the clock and those dark cold drives home.

IF i do break down,and get cold.....be nice...even crucial to make a hot brew,whilst waiting for assistance ( i always keep choccy bars in glove box for something to eat ).

The gas canisters last a good while, and the stoves come in a handy storage carry case. The ideal back up solution really, as a 12v kettle still requires 12v from somewhere.