Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Topping Up Oil

Dabooka

Mornin' all,

Been a bad week for the bus; the missus has had the oil light pop on a couple of times and woke up yesterday to a flat, a nearly new Geolander A/T.

The tyre had a nail in it, so that'll be off for a hopeful fix tomorrow, but the oil I can do today. It is a little low and needs topping up, but as I've only ever done a whole oil change on previous cars is there anything daft I need to be aware about before doing anything? I have a little 5/30 in the shed but it's probably a couple of years old, will I be okay to use that?

Cheers, and sorry for such a basic question!

From what I know, the oil goes in the top where there a filler cap, and using a funnel will help spilling it all over the engine. Don't try to pour it via the radiator as some mechanic will tell you you need a new engine. Using the screen wash bottle with engine oil will help stop the wipers squeaking but will not aid visionary access through the front window.

The main thing is that you pour a little in at a time so you don't overfill the engine, and checking the level on the dipstick giving the oil time to get to the sump.

Continuing on a funny note, we kept topping up the hydraulic oil on our small JCB, thinking the warning light on the dash was for a low level (cos thats what the illuminated sign looked like). Not so. It was the air filter blocked !

As far as the age of your oil, I'd reckon its fine. Think how long the oil was underground before it got to your garage !!

Shame about the tyre - know how you feel.

Thanks for the reply Bothwell, I'll root around for the oil and chuck it in. I was more concerned about doing a major sin somehow, what with these engines being a little "notorious" :D

Looking at the tyre I'm sure it'll be fixable, and at least due to the vintage I have a spare on the back!

Aifter I got 2 sets of wheels nicked, I'm short of 2 spare wheels.... and trying to buy just 2 new alloys is almost impossible!

We have 2000 litres of engine oil in stock - which came with 2 tanks we bought at auction thinking the tanks were empty. The oil is clean but just need to discover what grade it is !! Might try offer a gallon to the neighbour and see how long his car lasts !

Dabooka, surely the major sin has already been committed by letting the Oil light come on?

Dabooka, surely the major sin has already been committed by letting the Oil light come on?

Maybe you're right, last time I checked it it was bang on between low and high indicators; the light flickered on, I've topped it up. I guess I didn't realise how much they use.

It's easy done. My current Rav us rock solid on oil use. Never moves. My Auris T180 before liked a good drink, and if you pushed hard around a roundabout, the oil light would flicker on.

Mornin' all,

Been a bad week for the bus; the missus has had the oil light pop on a couple of times and woke up yesterday to a flat, a nearly new Geolander A/T.

The tyre had a nail in it, so that'll be off for a hopeful fix tomorrow, but the oil I can do today. It is a little low and needs topping up, but as I've only ever done a whole oil change on previous cars is there anything daft I need to be aware about before doing anything? I have a little 5/30 in the shed but it's probably a couple of years old, will I be okay to use that?

As said, the oil is already a couple of million years old so should be fine!

Don't forget Toyota dealers should offer FREE repairs to Tyres (presuming it CAN be repaired)

Dave

Mornin' all,

As said, the oil is already a couple of million years old so should be fine!

Don't forget Toyota dealers should offer FREE repairs to Tyres (presuming it CAN be repaired)

Dave

really? I didn't know that, do I just need to get the missus to pop it in?

Ah know who will rise to Sam's last post.....not me....nice clean boy.....

From

http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/generic_editorial.jsp?navRoot=toyota_1024_root&nodiv=true&fullwidth=true&noLeftMenu=true&forceText=TRUE&edname=as_ServiceMaintenance&zone=Zone+Ownership&id=AfterSalesService

Ensuring that your tyres are in good condition and right for your car means better safety, fuel efficiency and all-round driving performance and to keep them that way, we offer a free puncture repair service on all Toyota vehicles if we feel it's safe to do so. You don't even need to book an appointment, just pop in anytime.

Dave

From

http://www.toyota.co...terSalesService

Ensuring that your tyres are in good condition and right for your car means better safety, fuel efficiency and all-round driving performance and to keep them that way, we offer a free puncture repair service on all Toyota vehicles if we feel it's safe to do so. You don't even need to book an appointment, just pop in anytime.

Dave

That, my good man, is awesome.

I am much obliged to you! :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links