Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help And Advice Needed Please

purplehaggis

Have recently bought a TSport and now got problem with heater not going Hot (have been reading earlier posts) but interested in an old post below by 786s13.

Is there link with a heater problem and very low mpg as I am experiencing this at the moment.Does anyone have any ideas of my problem thanks

Posted 05 August 2008 - 12:29 PM

hot air is only warm...

could be because its quite warm at the moment so the air doesn’t feel that warm?...

normally problems like these are due to dodgy thermostats or coolant not right.

is you car suffering low mpg as well?

Hi,

You need to give a bit more info on the state of your car.

First, what about the level of the water in the radiator expansion tank, is it near enough correct and what colour is it ?

Second, if you set off from stone cold, how long does it take for the temp gauge needle to get to about 1/2 way up the dial, if at all.

My 1.6 gets up to its normal mid way in about 2-3 miles , 5-10mins of flat or uphill driving.

If it takes a lot longer then yes, it may well be the themostat thats failed open, as happens.

In this cold weather the with the cabin heater on as well as a cold air stream on the radiator it may well be running too cold and so too rich.

Just give this post a good read : http://www.toyotaown...showtopic=76133

Probably just a blocked matrix like the rest of us have had, do the normal checks though as suggested above. Also check your heater motor is working, you can hear it electronically move when your change the temperature under your steering wheel.

Thermostats difficult to check unless you take it out and drop it in boiling water and watch it open, but it should open when it reaches temperate so you'll notice the pipe leading to the radiator getting quite hot when it does and soon after your radiator fan should kick in.

If its your water pump thats gone i'd imagine you would be overheating, if thats the case fix asap.

I get 31mpg at the moment, but its cold and i do short runs.

Thanks for the replies,

The level of the water in the radiator expansion tank, is at full line and the colour is green/blue

It takes slightly longer than 10 mins to heat up and the gauge on dash shows needle below half way.

Do you think its the thermostat? And what colour of coolant should it be ?

Many thanks for your help.

I think oldcodger is probably just wanting to check the colour to make sure its not contaminated with oil, because that would indicate a head gasket problem (so brown is bad). You can get airlocks as well though which can cause issues with heating, the air should make its way to the top of the expansion bottle usually but can sometimes get stuck.

But check your hoses, particularly the outlet hose coming out of your dashboard with your heater set to hot. If that isnt getting very hot then you should try and backflush your heater matrix with water first (read that topic).

Thermostats arent too expensive, you will probably have to get your coolant changed if you do that anyway. But cheap option above first if you have access to a hose and a few spare tubes.