Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav Purchase Advice

gordypix

Hey Y'all

Looking at buying a RAV4 soonish.

Thinking of a 2.0VVT-i XTR 5Door on an 05 Plate from a Toyota Main Dealer.

Can anyone give me some unbiased info on this model and anything I should be looking out for.

cheers,

Gordy.

Not currently a Rav owner, but the petrols are pretty bulletproof, others will comment.

MORE IMPORTANTLY if you are joining the Rav forum I for one am looking forward to

some of your excellent photos. (remember some of them from a few years back)

General opinion (on here) of that breed of Rav is that the only bad thing is the MPG!

Got a Diesel myself FOR the MPG. But Diesels do seem to get all the big "issues".

Dave

Never worked it out (it would need more grey matter than I have) but I wonder if we should look at not MPG but MPP(£) over a set number of miles miles covered

It's a recognized fact that oil burners are more expensive to buy,service and fuel.

So that would narrow the cost of running gap a little,surely

It has been said on here many times that a petrol lump powered motor is a better buy if you do not ramp up a high milage per annum

This is pure guess work on my part only and maybe someone knows different and could educate me further.

Petrol owning Del

Never worked it out (it would need more grey matter than I have) but I wonder if we should look at not MPG but MPP(£) over a set number of miles miles covered

It's a recognized fact that oil burners are more expensive to buy,service and fuel.

So that would narrow the cost of running gap a little,surely

It has been said on here many times that a petrol lump powered motor is a better buy if you do not ramp up a high milage per annum

This is pure guess work on my part only and maybe someone knows different and could educate me further.

Petrol owning Del

Both of our RAVs are auto vvt-i's. One is 10 yrs & a bit old, the other is 8. Both are bullet-proof reliability-wise. Oldest averages about 20 mpg with wifey (although I can get 25+ out of it fairly easily). The 54-reg averages 33 - 35 on regular long commutes (90+ miles each way). No expenses other than servicing and some oxy sensors on the old one which were all covered under extended warranty (and a replacement cat that I blame entirely on the worst Toyota dealer in the UK).

Best cars we've ever owned & dealer service has been exemplary - apart from the cretinous one mentioed above.

Oil burners are more expensive overall. The Diesel cost works out better if your doing 15k a year or more. However, it's not all about money. I like a diesel because of the way they deliver the power. You can work in low revs (very rare I go above 2.5k rpm in my Rav) and you know the diesel lump is so under stressed, with regular oil changes and good fuel used, it'll go on to 200k miles plus.

Oil burners are more expensive overall. The Diesel cost works out better if your doing 15k a year or more. However, it's not all about money. I like a diesel because of the way they deliver the power. You can work in low revs (very rare I go above 2.5k rpm in my Rav) and you know the diesel lump is so under stressed, with regular oil changes and good fuel used, it'll go on to 200k miles plus.

Point of goodness well and eloquentfully made.....I will be lucky to do 10k in a year so I am nuts to have a diesel....no?

Widdle.....you pays yer choice and ye takes yer money.....the power delivery (curve?) is the main reason I AGAIN opted for diesel, even more so now the Kingo chip kit is on it. As DP states, you can sense the lack of stress in the engine as you accelerate/cruise.....then ah drive wife's 3 door petrol (which I love....) and it feels manic in comparison.

I would not dismiss the purchase of a more recent diesel model is my reply to Gordypix's question.

Big Kev