Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Head Gasket Failure

timgkerr

Hi,

firstly thankyou for all the posts about the HGF issues - a great help.

I was on holiday in Scotland and having had a HGF up there I had to leave it whilst I got a lift back down to Devon.

Luckily I took it to the local Toyota dealer who told me it is likely covered by the extended warranty (yipeeee!). However they said they could not be sure until they stripped the engine.

The car is a 2008 2.0 litre diesel D4D estate, about 90k on the clock and has one previous owner - a leasing company. They kept it serviced at a Toyota dealership and I had the car serviced when I bought it in Feb this year but this was not at dealership (it was only the intermediate service).

I don't know much about cars and am obviously anxious about the process so any information is greatly appreciated.

My question is what might cause Toyota to decide after stripping it down that I'm no longer eligible for the replacement engine and what does it get replaced with? i.e is it prone to the same faults etc?

Regards

Tim

the first thing to have all service payments confirmations + works done + remarks in service book -- this will help to claim recon

Hi. my avensis is going in this week for the head to be stripped down. Fingers crossed it will be a be a new engine but ive been told theres no guarantee.

Hi my 2009 new model 2.0D avensis just diagnosed with head gasket fail, Toyota not prepared to pay big bill.

i had my head gaskit done at 68,000 miles,sold it at 170,000 miles same engine as you,no further problem with it

Hi, thanks for all your replies. Phil was it because you didn't have much Toyota servicing in the log book?

I perhaps didn't make my original point clear, what mechanical reasons might there be for me to fail to get the replacement?

Paujj what engine was it replaced with?

thanks

i was given a new head, and the water pump was replaced block was ok,i DIDN'T have Toyota service history although it was done properly at a garage with toyota parts

woohoo, got a call from the guys at Arnold Clarke in Stirling, I'm getting a new engine free of charge. I was practically skipping down the hall at work! Just need to pick it up now.

Why Hay!!!! A result!... Very good to hear an all :thumbsup::yes:

Great that some people have a positive response. For me its all bad despite a full service history. Many calls to Toyota head office and Bristol dealer have finished with sorry nothing we can do for you and we dont care. minimum £4k bill possible new engine required

New model Avensis 2.0D bought in 2009 with 60k warranty, the new more reliable engine is not covered by the extended warranty given to the older model.

The final position is that due the mileage 97k and that the last two services were done by an independant garage they will offer nothing.

Any one whant to buy a three year old piece of JUNK - never again Toyota.

Thats really rough, Im sorry to hear about that. It seems to be one rule for one and one for another doesnt it depending on the dealer you go to. Might be worth a stronger worded letter perhaps. Is your engine definitely one of the ones which is effected by the head gasket issue?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links