Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Service Time?

Paulus17

My Rav was serviced today at my local Main Dealer.

It was the full service (£229) but I supplied my own oil (Morris' C3 multilife) and they knocked £68 off the service price. Good start me thinks-

They then advised following needs doing;

Pink staining around Water Pump, so needs changing £400.72

Oil Sump Gasket £382

Oil leak around Timing Case cover and rear main oil seal £1000+

Not had any of it done (not much choice there) but does any/all of it actually need doing or are they touting for business!?

Dave

TGB are so fixated on their safety inspection sheet, which they have to complete everytime the car enters the workshop, that I suppose the fitters are ***** scared of getting fired if they miss something off which later causes a major problem. For what it's worth our 02-reg vvt-i has been reported with a weeping gasket at the back of the engine for the last 5 years with no subsequent oil or water usage.

Dealers do tends to try to get you on certain little "added value" repairs, e.g." your back brake pipe is rusty, sir; we can clean it up and grease it for you for £70". Utter rubbish. I can't wait to see how they react when it's next in for service & they get a gander at the full waxoyl protection.

Waxoyl will be diagnosed as EGS, Jamesy....Exploded Gearbox Syndrome, and lubricant deposited on vehicle underside.

Good one, BK!

Can't wait.... :laughing:

This is the oil i have,two tubs of it,so would this be suitable for the oil change on the service or would Toyota put summat better in??

post-111709-0-56022900-1352886402_thumb.

Totally suitable and correct, Paul....so give them the oil and be prepared for all the negative reports mentioned above to offset your having the cheek to do them out of oil mark-up. Have a look at the !Removed! price us new owners can pay for 0w-30 oil.....Oor Gus will have a fit....!!!!!

Big Kev

Aye Kev does make you wonder,i was going to ask not to wash and clean the Rav as well seeing as how i have just waxed it all???

Just got back from having the service been done,all good except they picked up on a leaking water pump,drive belt worn/cracked,and the break pads are low. :disgust:

Good news is is that they are doing the water pump and belt free of charge under the twelve month warranty,so it was well worth me chasing the twelve months after all and that we decided to take it in to Toyota to do the service :clap:

Surprised at the break pads though as they were new on when we bought it and Mrs P has only done just over 6000 miles??

Nice one Paul but I'd seek clarification on the brake pads - how worn?

I think I would want to have the old ones to inspect too.

Thanks David.

The print out says 80% worn.

80% on the fronts and 50% on the back.

Thanks David.

The print out says 80% worn.

80% on the fronts and 50% on the back.

That seems excessive Paul. Rears on mine have done 60K and 40% worn, fronts done 30K and 30% worn................

It do indeed David.

Is it possible for pads to wear down that quick with just normal driving and also wouldn't we have been advised about em on the MOT back in April/May if they were getting low then??

Also the front tyres had worn more than the backs,which were changed round at the MOT and we had em changed back again today,but they did say the tread was evenly worn across the tyres.

It do indeed David.

Is it possible for pads to wear down that quick with just normal driving and also wouldn't we have been advised about em on the MOT back in April/May if they were getting low then??

Also the front tyres had worn more than the backs,which were changed round at the MOT and we had em changed back again today,but they did say the tread was evenly worn across the tyres.

Need to use Terry Wogan's favourite word here, Paul......PISH.......you have got their goat like whom what which I said you would by supplying your own oil !!!!! If Mrs. P has done in a set of pads to that extent in 6k miles, she obviously thinks the middle pedal is the clutch or accelerator, mate. More likely you received the car WITHOUT all the pads having been renewed at the outset if they are worn to that degree.

Go see yer "very busy mate" and get him to do a quick visual before losing any sleep. Sorry for rantification....

Big Kev

It do indeed David.

Minimum pad thickness is one milimetre for your model Paul. As Kev says, get your mate to have a quick gander.

I'd say they're exaggerating. 80% worn ISN'T time to change the pads. Even based in your 6000 miles from "new" pads, you've still got 1500 miles to go before they reach min recommended thickness (which I assume they're going by)

Personally I'd do 1499 miles THEN check them!

Dave

Well as it happens my mechanic mate phoned me last night so i told him about the service and the pads and he said he will take a look next week but he said he wouldn't use Toyota parts but use Blue Tip i think it was,if they need doing yet ???

Think i will still get a price from Gringo Kingo ;)

Oh by the way Kev i didn't take the oil i'd bought as Mrs P said NO :lol:

Well as it happens my mechanic mate phoned me last night so i told him about the service and the pads and he said he will take a look next week but he said he wouldn't use Toyota parts but use Blue Tip i think it was,if they need doing yet ???

Think i will still get a price from Gringo Kingo ;)

Oh by the way Kev i didn't take the oil i'd bought as Mrs P said NO :lol:

Your pads will be fine, Paul.......mark my words (ma mammy always used that expression, just before she did the bit underneath my posts....)

Your dealer might well sound like he is exaggerating but it is a fine line with customers. For instance, you do 6K per year and 80% worm for you might mean you have two years of life in those pads. For someone doing high miles it might be 6 weeks

The 80% worn will also be a guesstimate, based on the thickness left from the average thickness for a new set of pads, you might well find they are only 70% worn if removed and properly measured / assessed

With extended service intervals you only see your customers once a year, you want to give your customer sound advice, but you dont want him to have to come back mid way through the year if it can be avoided. It is your your, your money, your choice. If you decide to leave it for the time being, you could always go back in 6 months and have a FREE check, a VSR, when your pad thickness will be checked again

If you want a price for anything, just PM your registration number to me. I see all sorts of threads about this and that pad being better than another, but in reality there is nothing wrong with a set of standard Toyota pads. Ive seen lots of comparison charts that compare genuine to non genuine pads. Genuine are always at the upper end for wear rate and how well they work, some "sports" brakes can be utterly rubbish and work no better or last no longer than genuine, yes there are some good non genuine brakes out there, but if you do buy them, look for the better branded makes. There are an awful lot sold in cheap factor shops that are rubbish. Genuine may be a bit more expensive, but they are tried and tested specifically for your car, but thats what you get with genuine

Kingo :thumbsup:

:laughing: Never did you any harm did it Kev................DID IT?????

I'm sure they will be Kev :thumbsup:

The Ravs now booked in to have the other two jobs done at the dealers in a couple of weeks.

I realise they were only advising to the condition of the pads but i was under the impression that they were new when we bough the Rav and just surprised at how quickly they had worn down if new??

I think they couldn't have been new when we bought it wearing down that quick,probably the salesman just saying it??

Cannot argue with any of Kingo's logic, but simplistics (to me.....must stress that....) is that if the pads were indeed brand new at receipt of vehicle, and are now 80% worn after 6k miles, sumfink is wrong.......wrong cheapo pads or not new to start with....? Nervous driver....? Who knows.

Simple Ton Kev

I doubt they were new, ive never know a sales department fit new pads as a matter of course,

Kingo :thumbsup:

I doubt they were new too. However, I am wary about these pad thickness reports. I can tell you that a main dealer reported to my mate that he needed new pads and discs (right away) and quoted him over £500. Remember he and I are brake engineers (fully qualified mechanics too) by trade. He got the stuff "internally" for next to nowt and when we pulled the wheels off (we did all 4 just to make sure we weren't missing something) they were all less than 50% worn. That lost them a loyal customer for all his servicing.

Not all dealers will do that but knowing that at least one will try I am wary now.

BTW, don't ask me why my mate doesn't do his own servicing because despite my frequent lectures he prefers to put his feet up. It was only a lump off a mountain bike that shook him into doing something about the brakes!

I doubt they were new, ive never know a sales department fit new pads as a matter of course

I had severe brake shudder when I test drove my RAV . . . so bad I thought it was the ABS kicking in . . . The saleman tried to tell me it was rust on the discs from being out in the rain and would soon shift . . . Ok lets have a look at these discs . . .Hmmm looks like pitting to me . . . and what are these deposits? . . . If I brought this car in for a service what would you recommend?? . . . Lets replace the discs and pads then, and I'll be interested in buying it

Well i am 99.99% sure that we was told that new pads had been fitted when we bought the Rav as i did ask at the time,which was why i was shocked when the engineer mentioned them :eek:

So if they weren't replaced at the last service would they be the original set do you think??

Best thing is proceed with the visual by yer mate, Paul, and if they do indeed need done, it is not an expensive job both parts and timewise.....deffo get a price from Hairymush at Lindop.....AND.....

Ask your mate specifically to examine the INSIDE faces of your brake discs, especially the frontiswans (new German word....)

You should have seen the corrodification of wife's front discs I showed Anchorman how to replace recently at 37k miles.....bad.

Ask Mrs. P. too if any feedback from brake pedal.

Big Kev.

Aye Aye cap'n will do ;)

Once he's got it he usually gives it a good looking over as he usually comes and has a look at what we are buying but didn't with this one so he'll check the discs while he's at it.Then give us the good or bad news :dontgetit:

What do the Scots call their car engineers??

McCanics. :P

Well it now looks like my mechy mate won't be having a look at the breaks on the Rav this week nor next by the sounds of it??

He had a drunk driver wreck most of his front garden,which he had just finished doing,writing off his Jag,damaging the back of his Toyota pick up,and also writ off next doors brand new Galaxy Titanium.The driver got out scratch free???

It was part of a brick pillar from the wall he had just had built that was hurtled 25 feet into the neighbours Galaxy writing that off.

Lucklily no one else was injured which he reckons was a miracle??

I was hoping he would have had it also to have a listen to the drone on the back that seems worse to me again now we have had the wheels swapped round??

We took the Rav in early this morning to have the jobs mentioned done and they had already ordered in the front break pads so Mrs P decided to have em fitted as my mate is upto to his eyes at the moment.

We then picked it back up later this evening and they had given us a really good discount off the bill for the breaks so we was well chuffed.

They fitted the new water pump amd belt free of charge,so with the twelve month warranty coming to an end soon we can honestly say that the way we have been dealt with all the time over the last twelve monthswe would give em 10/10,very very pleased :thumbsup:

Plus the Rav felt better when we was driving home even Mrs P said summat felt better/different???

........and I've got some alloy wheels with winter tyres you might be interested in!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links