Do Not Sell My Personal Information

More 2.2D Woes

supervast650

Hello folks,

It's my own fault for buying it but the 2.2D (58 Plate) is going back into toyota tomorrow with the following issues:

Lumpy tickover

Strange humm between 1400-1800rpm

Drinking a little oil (about 300mls per 700miles, no idea if this is correct or not)

Loss of coolant, which only started recently (within last two weeks)

Hope it gets sorted but after taking 8 weeks to get faulty mk1 injectors replaced under warranty I am not hopeful. See what the diagnosis is tomorrow but knowing my luck.......

More just a place to vent than gripe about it.

Thanks.

the oil consumption is certainly higher (3x or more) than I have experienced.

I just had the water pump replaced on mine this week - & it was done under warranty even though the car is nearly 5 years old!

the oil consumption is certainly higher (3x or more) than I have experienced.

I just had the water pump replaced on mine this week - & it was done under warranty even though the car is nearly 5 years old!

Thats a great result.

I actually have an extended warranty on the car so I knew that it wasn't going to cost me but I was surprised when I went to pick it up & the dealer said that they hadn't had to use the extended warranty as Toyota had covered it.

I guess the component supplier must have a longer warranty for that part than Toyota had for the whole car (3 years when I bought mine, not the current 5 years)?

Good to hear some positive stories!

My main gripe is the dealer's service manager constantly denies all knowledge of anything that is a common faults. I speak to the After Sales manager and hey presto things start to happen.

I'll update this tomorrow once I get back from the dealers.

Just back from the dealership. It's a farce to be honest.

They can't make their mind up with a few things:

• First was told the head gasket was gone, then told it wasn't.
  • Told a new engine was ordered, then it wasn't
  • No idea where the coolant is leaking/evaporating from. Found residue on the cylinder head but not sure where the leak is (how about the gasket? not interested as that's not what the issue is, it's oil consumption they are concerned about!)
  • I have to take the car in every 1000miles to have the oil consumption measured? I guess this is done by dropping and measuring the oil in a jug? Anyone confirm this?

So no further forward and completely confused how a dealer can say this, that and other with no actual positive action other than measure oil consumption!

Will keep you posted on whats happening :D

Hi supervast650, that definitely sounds like it's the dreaded head gasket problem as those are common symptoms of it from what appears on here. I'm really suprised they don't seem as bothered about the coolant loss as they are over the oil consumption. How bad is the coolant loss? I'd either go back and assure them it IS the head gasket or try a different dealer. It doesnt' look good but the sooner it is diagnosed the sooner it can be put right again, and under warranty too . .

Hi I have read with reference the 2.2 engine problems, are these just on the T25 model up to the start of the new shape T27 model. Can anyone confirm if the later engines were modified.

I have not heard myself on any threads reference the 2009 on cheers.

Hi supervast650, that definitely sounds like it's the dreaded head gasket problem as those are common symptoms of it from what appears on here. I'm really suprised they don't seem as bothered about the coolant loss as they are over the oil consumption. How bad is the coolant loss? I'd either go back and assure them it IS the head gasket or try a different dealer. It doesnt' look good but the sooner it is diagnosed the sooner it can be put right again, and under warranty too . .

Sorry about the lack of reply Adam, the coolant loss has been nearly the full bottle in 1000 miles maybe a little less mileage wise. I took the cover off the top and the gasket area is wet. I've wiped it dry and going out today so will check it again later.

I'm driving down by them by coincidence (spelling poor sorry) so will check it and see if it's down. If so i'll be doing my best to get them to listen to me.

Again I'll report back later on what the car does and what the dealer does in fact say!

Hi I have read with reference the 2.2 engine problems, are these just on the T25 model up to the start of the new shape T27 model. Can anyone confirm if the later engines were modified.

I have not heard myself on any threads reference the 2009 on cheers.

the toyota bulletin that I have seen included Avensis production up until the end of february 2009 so that includes early T27s.

It's quite an old bulletin though so the dates may have been amended in a later update.