Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battery Light Came On Whist Driving, Cannot Use Anything Electrical?

makeitso

Hi again,

I have had a very strange occurrance today wilst driving my corolla.

All of a sudden, the Battery light came on in the dash console and immediately the the radio switched off. when I switched off the lights, the radio came back on again. Basically, I cannot use anything electrical any more. The windscreen wipers are on a go slow, the light are dim and the radio only works if nothing else electrical is being used!

I just about made it home without the engine packing in all together!

Can anyone help?

Obviously there is some sort of fault for this to happen all of a sudden whilst driving?

Any help to point me in the right direction, would be greatly appreciated. Very broke right now, cannot afford the expensive services of a mechanic right now, so if it's something replaceable or relatively easy to fix, I would prefer to try it myself first.

Many Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Sounds like the Battery is not being charged or cannot hold any charge or it could be that the alternator has packed up or blown a fuse leading to the Battery.

Assume the dim lights and slow wipers are with the engine running ? - if so do they get brighter ifyou rev the engine over 200o rpm ?

Switch the car on take the red off the Battery. If the engine switches off the alternator is packed in. Its not pumping out current so is not charging the Battery. If it still stays on check the voltage across the Battery with the car off it should be 12v when car is on with the red positive back on the battery the voltage should be more than 12 almost 14v.

Hope that helps.