Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What To Do - Trade In 08 2.2 For 10 2.0 D4D

supervast650

Hey Folks,

Following the issues that my 2.2D seems to have thrown at me and still ongoing issues with proving that it's consuming more oil than it should I was wondering if I should consider the following:

Trade in my 08 TR, 2.2D Tourer for a 10 plate TR 2.0D?

There seems to be lots of info about how the 2.2 has issues, so I looked at the 2010 reviews for the Avensis on here and there seems to be quite a few issues raised also.

What is slightly putting me off the 2010 is that it was the ex demo car. It's going to cost extra in monthly payments but I would hope the remaining warranty would cover that against my current 08 which is still a bit of an ticking time bomb.

What would people do in a similar position. I don't see any other manufacturers dealers being that keen on trading my 2.2 against a similar sized car.

Cheers!

Why do you want to change? You don't tell us much so it's difficult to give advice.

However if you have a problem car you want to get rid of it would probably be best to do a part exchange through a dealer. If your problem is with the engine, a well known Toyota problem why go for another Toyota diesel? Does your mileage really warrant a diesel?

As you probably know a 2010 model will have a 5 year Toyota warranty which, if purchased from a Toyota dealer can be extended so worth looking into.

The final point is cost to change. Not knowing mileage or condition of your car again difficult to judge what would be best for you but 2008 to 2010 is not a big jump. It may be worth looking at other manufacturers especially if you want diesel. The Ford Mondeo gets good reviews but choose the model and engine wisely, there are lots on the market so finding a good one shouldn't be a problem.

Sorry about the lack of info. Brain is a bit pickled with trying to get the dealer to deal with the issue of oil consumption and now the fact its leaking/loosing coolant but they said they couldn't find any trace where today.

From what I have read it has been more the 2.2D that has the majority of the issues, not the 2.0D. The oil consumption/coolant loss is the second issue that I am more having to fight with the dealer to accept and sort. First off the injector on number 4 cylinder went and it took the dealer 6 weeks to actually get it sorted, which resulted in all 4 injectors being replaced as they were all out of spec. Toyota didn't want to deal with me more the dealer.So this is the second "major" issue the car has had within 4 months. I've lost heart in it.

My first 2.0D was faultless for 2 years. I traded in for the 2.2D as it was the tourer and the addition of little people wanted me to get the bigger loadspace than the saloon.

So it's more of a bail out of a car with a running list of problems (fixed and not fixed) that I've lost confidence in. I do about 30,000 annually so a diesel makes more sense, my car has only 70,000miles and the 2.0 is 29,000. Or maybe I should stick with the 2.2 and see where it takes me :bored:

the peugeot HDI is a fantastic engine (had one for 10 years never a problem)...... shame i havent got one in my 2.2D, would be the perfect car then !

Afaik the hg issue on Avensis diesels was supposed to have been fixed from production end of Feb 2009.

The 5 year warranty came in ~June 2010.

Which Mr. T is this?

Looking at used diesel Avensis Tourers on toyota.co.uk within 100 miles of Dundee shows a few but none with 29k nearest is Struan with 27.5 on a 59 plate.

You could take your case up with the supplying dealer arguing that the car was not fit for purpose & see how good a deal you can get from them.

If you like the Avensis there is nothing to stop you going to another dealer.

& all dealers are desperate for sales so other brand dealers will happily trade your car against 1 of theirs.

The car was originally bought from struans and serviced there. The one thing that is an issue is the finance outstanding on mine but hopefully this can be gotten round no matter what dealer I end up with.

The only issue I have is that the only other Mr T reasonably local is Arnold Clark and I've never had a good service from them either.

I'd look at another brand but honestly don't know what to go with. Each one you read up on has its own issues etc.

Thanks guys for getting me to have a sense of perspective on this and taking a step back.

Seems you have lost faith in the car, the dealer and Toyota. You will probably never like the car again even if the dealer does eventually fix it all so the answer is to move it on. I have a 2010 petrol estate and am very pleased with it, except the electronic parking brake. If you are happy the 2.0D is ok then I would think you will like the car. But.... Will you be happy with another Toyota and your dealer? If you have any doubts on that score then it would probably be best to look at another manufacturer. Just do the research to make sure it's not jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Good luck.

This may well be true, I more curse myself for trading up to the 2.2 and surrendering the old saloon.

The dealer yes I would use them to get the car (possibly) but thinking about it the bullsh!t from the service dept has made me already say I wouldn't let them service any car I had again.

Will start looking at alternatives if I can't get my head round toyota.

As you've already mentioned you will find that they all have their foibles/problems.

Re. Arnold Clark I've recently had dealings with 1 of their Toyota outlets & I've got to say that they were pretty good but maybe that's unusual.

Have you had dealings with their Aberdeen branch before?

As you've already mentioned you will find that they all have their foibles/problems.

Re. Arnold Clark I've recently had dealings with 1 of their Toyota outlets & I've got to say that they were pretty good but maybe that's unusual.

Have you had dealings with their Aberdeen branch before?

The problems I had at Aberdeen have been they ignored my initial interest in a car with them. I was ready to buy there and then but they said they couldn't do a deal on the day? You have to mind if you don't go in suited and booted they don't want to know in aberdeen as it's a wealthy market. It's a common problem with them to be honest.