Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should We Consider The U/cruiser?

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hello all you u/c fans...

We've been thinking...yes it hurts lol...we've driven Toyota most of our motoring lives...currently we have the Corolla which is great but now with the 3 kids its a bit crowded...we considered the Avensis for some time but with all its reviews and horror stories we've been undecided...and then we came across this beautiful u/c with satnav and leather trim...silver and @ 19k with the urban pack at just under £8k...and thought...could this be for us...BUT BUT BUT i hear Toyota have discontiued them so what will that do for resale values? Also do you think we'll be okay with the rear space: 1 car seat / 1 booster seat/ and a grumpy 14 yr old?

I love the look of them, so adorable as well as economical and cheap to tax...but i'm concerned re.its reliabilty as we know nothing about them...any help and advice would be so much appreciated.

Sammy XXX

Sam,from the price I presume it is a petrol version? correct me if I,m wrong. I have both the petrol version and the diesel version, and whilst the petrol is OK, the diesel is definatly the version to go for.

You might find it a bit tjght with a 14 year old and the little one as well ( all the gear that goes with a little one). but I regularly transport myself and 3 adults around with no problems.

As regards value, both versions do take a hefty knock on residuals. 6 month old Dealer Demo.s are now retailing around £15000,about £3000 below "new" price, and all models are well priced as the Dealers are trying to get shut.

They are rock solid both for build and running ( basically a revampted Yaris), and should run for years if looked after. ( they are built in Japan)

As in my previous comments on why they have pulled them, it,s basically because they did not sell, I think this was because they where priced too high ( especially the AWD version) and they came on to the market too early, and where overlooked by the Buying Public. It is only now that other Car Manufaturers are realising the potential of a "small" SUV.

HTH Regards Clare

Sam,from the price I presume it is a petrol version? correct me if I,m wrong. I have both the petrol version and the diesel version, and whilst the petrol is OK, the diesel is definatly the version to go for.

You might find it a bit tjght with a 14 year old and the little one as well ( all the gear that goes with a little one). but I regularly transport myself and 3 adults around with no problems.

As regards value, both versions do take a hefty knock on residuals. 6 month old Dealer Demo.s are now retailing around £15000,about £3000 below "new" price, and all models are well priced as the Dealers are trying to get shut.

They are rock solid both for build and running ( basically a revampted Yaris), and should run for years if looked after. ( they are built in Japan)

As in my previous comments on why they have pulled them, it,s basically because they did not sell, I think this was because they where priced too high ( especially the AWD version) and they came on to the market too early, and where overlooked by the Buying Public. It is only now that other Car Manufaturers are realising the potential of a "small" SUV.

HTH Regards Clare

Ahh "thank you" for taking the time out to respond Clare, it makes really interesting reading, appreciate it!

Well we're hoping to go see one at the weekend, forgot to mention yes its a petrol, i'll have to load all the kids in to it and see if it works out. I spoke to my local Toyota dealers earlier today..they also stated that the u/c is between a yaris and an auris and recommended i stick with my Corolla in terms of interior space rather than move on to an u/c...and they highly recommeded the Verso instead...and soooooooooooooo we'll see! Will keep you posted.

Sammy XXX

P/s...had a look at the accessory listings for the u/c lastnight, dear lord, there's quite a few bits i'd like to buy if i had the u/c...i sat there rubbing my hands in excitement...i'd go for a tall boot liner, rubber mats, a chrome trim for the front bumper, and maybe even some puddle lights i think you call them to illuminate the footwells...and hey i even found a website that do some heavy duty looking bullbars and side steps all in chrome which make the u/c look like a mini rav...or maybe even a range rover lol! My other half just laughed and said with all those bars on a 1.3 i'd be lucky if the car even moved...lol!

• 3 weeks later...

i wouldn't worry about it it being discontinued, as a car it'll still be going in 10 years time no problem, the 1.33 engine wil no doubt be sticking around in Yaris/IQAuris etc for years to come. I wouldn't have thoughts parts would be an issue, when you do trade it in eventually , a service history wil be more important, and there always be a market for a good economical estate , discontinued or not.

Just to add that the main reason they stopped the U/C was because it was underpinned on the old Yaris chassie, which was discontinued about 12 months ago.With the "New" Yaris arriving on a different chassie, it was a case of " end of life", if you get my meaning.

Regards Clare