Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris 2012 Speaker Buzzing

esegal2u

Hi,

I purchased a 2012 Yaris a few monthes ago, and experienced strange buzzing sounds from the back Speakers (on the passenger doors) when playing music with deep low bass tones.

When checking the symptom carefully, it's very difficult to pinpoint the source of the buzzing - sometimes it comes from the doors' plastic, sometimes from the speaker area itself.

Again, this only happens in very low bass tones.

Anyone exprienced such a problem before?

Not really experienced what you are describing , but check the source you are using .. I.e are you playing from a CD or is it coming from the radio ? Generally radio is of a poor quality and could distort the Speakers.

I tend to have my music quite loud in the car using my iPhone and linking via bluetooth and haven't really experienced buzzing or distorting at high volumes (25 to 30) on the meter.

If it isn't the source of the music that is the problem , just swing it back to Toyota for a further look

Hi,

I purchased a 2012 Yaris a few monthes ago, and experienced strange buzzing sounds from the back speakers (on the passenger doors) when playing music with deep low bass tones.

When checking the symptom carefully, it's very difficult to pinpoint the source of the buzzing - sometimes it comes from the doors' plastic, sometimes from the speaker area itself.

Again, this only happens in very low bass tones.

Anyone exprienced such a problem before?

Sounds like resonance resulting in vibration some where. But 2012 car, surely the dealer should sort out the problem.

Regards Geoff Peace.

It is indeed as you describe - resonance from the Speakers causing vibration in the back doors plastic.

I checked this problem in a second Yaris, and the same symptoms occur - so it isn't a single car occurence.

Unfortunately, so far the dealer hasn't proven to be helpful in the matter.

I contacted the national toyota agency in hopes that they will address this.

It is indeed as you describe - resonance from the speakers causing vibration in the back doors plastic.

I checked this problem in a second Yaris, and the same symptoms occur - so it isn't a single car occurence.

Unfortunately, so far the dealer hasn't proven to be helpful in the matter.

I contacted the national toyota agency in hopes that they will address this.

Is there a specific piece of music that is causing this resonance ? or is it generally with any music ?

As I said, it's extremely apparent in music that has very deep bass tones/rhythms - not necessarily a specific genre.

Some examples:

College - Real Hero:

Jay Z - Hard Knock Life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxtn6-XQupM

Dub FX - Flow:

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQuSLuh5v94

Can also hear it in some Florence and the Machine songs.

Right I'll load my iPhone with some bass heavy tunes and test next time I get a chance .. For example LFO - LFO which has some serious bass note .. which will rattle most poor Speakers . I'll report back shortly

Bass notes will reverberate more than others. A few questions to try and pinpoint the cause. Does the vibration sound in both rear Speakers or just one? Is there any vibration from the front Speakers? Have you a balance control to change the distribution of the sound front to rear? If so try experimenting by turning the rear Speakers down a little. At what point approximately on the volume control does the vibration start? When the speakers are vibrating can you detect, by placing the flat of your hand on the door liner if it is the liner itself vibrating? Can you alter the sound by pushing on the door liner at different places? If you can conduct a few tests and post the results I may be able to help you further. The cause may be as simple as a poorly fitted speaker, the door liner may require sound deadening material to be fitted, or it may be that the speaker is simply not capable of handling the volume.

Regards Geoff Peace.

It happens in both rear Speakers - but in one more than the other. It actually varies from time to time - varying on the volume and the song itself.

Once, I heard the same vibrations in the front driver side as well - but as said, it's pretty rare, and so irrelevant to me at the moment.

I already tried changing the distribution of the sound and changing the bass rate in the car's equalizer. Both simply change the emphasis of these symptoms, but unless I reduce the bass levels to very low levels, it doesn't nullify the problem.

The vibrations for the first two songs start at around 30-35 in the volume level - however, it's obviously song-dependent according to the actual MP3 file the dB-level output from the cellular phone.

I also tried your suggestion of touching different areas in the door to figure out the source.

In a local Toyota garage, they removed the rear doors' plastic as to locate the source. Doing so actually caused the left door to stop having vibrations (Indicating this comes from the plastic or the inner nylons).

However, the right door still had vibrations, and as far as I could tell, it came from the speaker placement area itself.

I wonder, though, how it happens in a different Yaris car as well? Could it be that they all have poorly fit Speakers? Or just of poor quality?

Wow having the volume at 30-35 is quite loud to be honest , i only ever had mine to 28 or 30 ever max. I would rate the Speakers in the Yaris as quite good , but not exactly premium. I.e not as good say a Bose in an Audi.

I believe the system in the Mk3 Yaris is a Harman Kardon system which suggest upper mid-range quality, in my humble opinion.

It happens in both rear speakers - but in one more than the other. It actually varies from time to time - varying on the volume and the song itself.

Once, I heard the same vibrations in the front driver side as well - but as said, it's pretty rare, and so irrelevant to me at the moment.

I already tried changing the distribution of the sound and changing the bass rate in the car's equalizer. Both simply change the emphasis of these symptoms, but unless I reduce the bass levels to very low levels, it doesn't nullify the problem.

The vibrations for the first two songs start at around 30-35 in the volume level - however, it's obviously song-dependent according to the actual MP3 file the dB-level output from the cellular phone.

I also tried your suggestion of touching different areas in the door to figure out the source.

In a local Toyota garage, they removed the rear doors' plastic as to locate the source. Doing so actually caused the left door to stop having vibrations (Indicating this comes from the plastic or the inner nylons).

However, the right door still had vibrations, and as far as I could tell, it came from the speaker placement area itself.

I wonder, though, how it happens in a different Yaris car as well? Could it be that they all have poorly fit speakers? Or just of poor quality?

Perhaps the Speakers are not designed to handle high volumes. Iwas going to suggest removing both door liners to eliminate them from the vibration, but with your car being under warranty I would go back to the dealer and put the ball firmly in their court.

I tried the radio in my wifes car today, it was fine, but it is a two door, which may make a difference in the way the rear Speakers are mounted, the volume is not high and my taste is more classic FM so I doubt there is a lot of bass tones. As I said I think the dealer is the best way forward witha car so new.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Right just had a quick listen and test on my Yaris with some Lana Del Ray - Video Games and a few others on her album , had the volume quite loud 28-30 and i didnt notice anything out of the normal while sitting in the drivers seat.

On the very bassy bit of 'Video Games' i didnt notice any resonance of the back Speakers , i have the 5 door version of the SR.

Ill try other tunes on my travels later.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links