Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Intermittent Starting

The Striding Man

Hi all,

I've just put the Rav(2004 xt3 2.0 vvti) back on the road for the winter and I'm finding that occasionally it will not start. Leave it for 10-20 minutes and it will start up fine. The engine is turning over very well as it had a new Battery fitted (diesel spec) and when running it performs flawlessly.

While it was off the road it had new(correct iridium) spark plugs and a new air filter fitted. No warning lights on the dashboard and the engine light is off.

I'm planning to clean the MAF sensor and check that the pump is coming on with the ignition key but is there anything else that I should be looking for?

Any ideas?

you're on the correct way

besides -- check kall el vissible el connections to be sure no el signal lose.

the tank fuel pump circuit must to have own fuse -- check it , as well

Hi,

thanks for the replies,

it is turning over no problem but just won't fire. When the problem occurs if you leave it for 10 minutes it starts up fine first time of asking. Had the same issue from hot and cold starting.

It appears to be very intermittent and random at the moment (95% of the time it fires up first turn of the key) and the only other factor that could be causing the problem is that the fuel that was in the tank was six months old, however it has been used up and I'm on fresh fuel now and it still happens from time to time.

Any suggestions on possible causes and remedies would be welcome.

You need to carry an old plug with you. When it won't start, pull a lead off and connect it to the plug. Lay it on the engine and see if it sparks when you crank it. It will point is to fuel or electrics.

Just wondering if the old fuel has left deposits of itself in the system and the new fuel is dislodgeing bits of it and blocking the flow

Worst case I ever saw of stale fuel was when it had gone almost like treacle and stunk something rotten.

Used two cans of carb cleaner to sort that out.

Maybe a dose of fuel system cleaner would help.

Del

We had this problem on the Meriva we bought,we think the garage put some old fuel in when we picked it up as it was showing empty and they wouldn't put any fuel in at all except for some they had in a jerry can and we think it was that that caused us similar problems to what you are having.Took about six months for it to clear. :eek:

I think that you may all be correct regarding the minging fuel. Big Kev has kindly offered to do a deal with some fuel cleaner for my fuel delivery system in return for something that will clog up his liver. Sounds like a plan. :-)

Del, I have an old spark plug in the garage, next time it happens I will give it a try.

p.s. my old Ford Capri eats ancient stale fuel for breakfast and never seems to get indigestion. They just don't make 'em like that any more!

You are giving credit where it is not due Arthur. Don was to man who passed on the spark plug tip.

Del

Ah....that famous author... Arthur Conon Drums....? Need sleep....

• 2 weeks later...

Conundrum solved now! Looks as if the tankful of minging old stale fuel was causing the problem.

Kev's Archoil fuel system cleaner is hard at work, and it starts first time of asking every time. Must remember not to leave it standing next spring with too much fuel in the tank and to turn it over more frequently.

I've also switched over to using Shell petrol rather than supermarket fuel to try and keep the system cleaner. Thanks to all who helped out.

Conundrum solved now! Looks as if the tankful of minging old stale fuel was causing the problem.

Kev's Archoil fuel system cleaner is hard at work, and it starts first time of asking every time. Must remember not to leave it standing next spring with too much fuel in the tank and to turn it over more frequently.

I've also switched over to using Shell petrol rather than supermarket fuel to try and keep the system cleaner. Thanks to all who helped out.

Result Arthur.....did you get ma txt?.......see that...? Missed out the "e" in text.....hepcat, eh....?