Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3 Door Mpg?

Paulus17

Is there much difference in the 3 door MPG (petrol) compared to the 5 door petrol ??

No more than one or at the most two mpg according to the figures, I should imagine the gear / final drive ratios are the same or very similar, obviously there will be a difference in weight hence the small difference in economy figures.

No more than one or at the most two mpg according to the figures, I should imagine the gear / final drive ratios are the same or very similar, obviously there will be a difference in weight hence the small difference in economy figures.

Both our cars are autos. We have a VX 5-dr, 02-reg which my wife uses mostly for domestic, local & school runs so her economy overall is about 19-20 mpg. If I take it on a longer run, I can get nearer 30 mpg fairly easily. We also have a 54-reg 3-dr which I use mostly for commuting (90-100 miles each way) and which gets 33-35 mpg without trying too hard. Yesterday I consciously paid attention to mpg which resulted in 37 mpg without trying too hard ( I managed to get 40 mpg out of the 5-dr once!).

Both sets of figures are from the OBC. The 5-dr's is dead accurate, having checked it several times against brim-to-brim calcs. The 3 -dr is about 10 % optomistic so 35 on OBC = a true 31-32 mpg.

What I have noticed is that the 5-dr is much, much more sensitive to throttle use & road speed in terms of consumption; the slightest increase in throttle affects mpg almost immediately. The 3-dr doesn't seem so sensitive; whether it is the relative weights or the fact that the 3-dr is newer and probably has some useful tech mods (it is drive by wire whereas the 5-dr is cable), I couldn't say. Certainly the 3-dr is nippier whilst the 5-dr is more comfortable - both probably down to weight & relative wheel bases.

We've owned the 5-dr from new & it now has nearly 80K miles up. The 3-dr was bought from Mr.T in May, 2011 with 27K miles up and it now has 52K miles showing. Both cars have been excellent & I'd recommend both.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Paul and Jim :thumbsup:

I had seen the official figures,they were all i could find about it, and as you say not much difference but did wonder if it would be better.

That is some difference Jim.

I am asking as Mrs P has noticed quite a few 3 doors now and has got to like em now,she wasn't keen at first but they have grown on her so it seems,but was put off with the MPG been the same as the 5 door,more or less.

Must admit the accelorator on this RAV is very sensitive and Mrs P can't get used to it,compared to the Silver Rav we had which was a couple of year older and had a lot more mileage on the clock,so does tend to rev away some times??

Thanks Paul and Jim :thumbsup:

I had seen the official figures,they were all i could find about it, and as you say not much difference but did wonder if it would be better.

That is some difference Jim.

I am asking as Mrs P has noticed quite a few 3 doors now and has got to like em now,she wasn't keen at first but they have grown on her so it seems,but was put off with the MPG been the same as the 5 door,more or less.

Must admit the accelorator on this RAV is very sensitive and Mrs P can't get used to it,compared to the Silver Rav we had which was a couple of year older and had a lot more mileage on the clock,so does tend to rev away some times??

Hi Paul,

Funnily enough my (much) Better Half has always loved the 3-dr - "They're so cute" - and with their demise with the 4.3 version they have become more sought after and a bit of a cult car.

However, now that we have one, BH isn't quite so enthusiastic. Yes, they are cute and handle more like a hot hatch than a 4X4 but they are tiny inside. She couldn't realistically swap the 5-dr for the 3-dr and still do all the fetching and carrying that she does with the bigger car. The 3-dr is fine for me as I usually commute alone apart from briefcase and suiter but any more than that & it is fairly useless.

Nevertheless, horses for courses: if your Good Lady doesn't have need of lots of room then it won't matter and she will have a genuinely attractive, fun car that may just become more valuable in time, especially as Mr.T doesn't appear to be bringing out a 3-dr 4.4 in the New Year.

Your comments about the accelerator sensitivity gels with my experience; I do think it is down to technical changes in the newer car, especially the drive by wire accelerator.

I think this is how she is thinking now Jim as she is mainly in the car on her own,mainly back and forth to work.

Although we are a family of five i can't remember when we was all in a car together,the twins are older now,21 at Xmas, and have boyfriends blah blah blah,so it just leaves us,our younger daughter and the pooch.

Guess its one of those until you try you won't find out the downside of it.

And as it happens theres a 3 door for sale not far from us,low mileage.Perhaps a test drive in one would make her mind up??

They do seem very popular so perhaps Toyota might bring one out again?

My mate the mechanic,his dads got a 98 model and loves it still,but even he is going to try and get a later model soon.

Paul....it is akin to a student Rag Week prank getting 2 adults, yer daughter, and a dug, no matter how wee, into a 3 door Rav.

Marvellous WEE cars.....

:laughing:

Well i think we will go and have a gander at the 3 door that is near us just to have a look at it and see how it feels,even if its to put her mind at rest :eek:

Well we went along yesterday to have a look at the 3 door RAV and Mrs P wasn't all that impressed,so it looks like we'll be keeping the 5 door :clap:

Not really sure why she didn't like it,the RAV itself was in good nik,although she did say the door felt heavier to open with it been bigger,and also the thought of having to get out to let people in the back,she didn't like the thought of doing that again.

So at least having a look at one as now put her mind at rest.

But she did say it would have been an option if we could have got the 5 door in the garage???