Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Gauge Problem

Hi All,

I am a new IQ owner and I have noticed something very strange with my fuel gauge.

I can drive for 110 miles before the first block goes and just over 200 miles before the third block goes.

The next two blocks go by the time I hit 270 miles.

At this point the final block starts to flash.

Now I have continued to drive the IQ until I get to the 320 mile mark and then I chicken out and fill the car.

Am I the only one having this problem, is my local dealer telling me the truth and this is because the fuel tank is shaped like a cone or are they telling me porkies

and I do have a fault with my fuel gauge.

Many Thanks for listening to my rant.

Peter

Completely normal. There are plenty of threads on here about the fuel gauge including one by myself about my car that run out of fuel about 30 miles after the last bar started flashing.

I think the reason the first bar takes so long to go is the fuel tank is flat under the car but when you fill up you also fill the filler nozzle so that takes a while to get down to the tank level then the tank is used until the gauge see's a space in the tank.

I use the gauge just as an advisory instrument now and fill up before the last bar flashes and stop as soon as possible if I see the flashing bar again!

Craig.

I use the gauge just as an advisory instrument now and fill up before the last bar flashes and stop as soon as possible if I see the flashing bar again!

Craig.

Good advice.

The gauge is not linear (or particularly accurate) . Each segment does not represent an equal amount of fuel i.e when half the segments are gone you do NOT have half a tank left.

You do get used to it though.

Welcome to the forum.

if you have just the 32 litres in (7 gallons) & you have done 45 MPG for the you would only have 1 gallon left after doing 270 miles & need fuel within 45 miles anyway.

320 miles & 50 mpg and you would only have just ovef half a gallon in the bottom of the 'flat' tank.

So really it needs brimmed with about 7.5 gallons being carried & you should be good for 350 miles if you are bettering 50 mpg.

george

Sir!

Block type fuel gauge works little bit another way than old fashion analog gauges, once rotary sender resistance in the tank reaches predefined signal level for electronic comparator, which is located in display unit, block will be dimmed and never! returns to the previous state of equilibrium, in contrary to analog scale type, which hand oscillates right to left (or up and down). When vehicle position inclines from vertical state, (hills, mountains) sender perceives it as less fuel level in the tank and triggers next block. About non linearity: I have myself wound sender slider resistance in my old car, when it broke and in fact it is non linear, deviation is somewhere (+-15-20%). Japanese engineers wisely reckoned, that blinking fuel block light may unnecessarily distract driver's attention from road, therefore they simplified display (I do agree). Blinking mode is left only for last block as emergency warning. So, electronic fuel gauge works as reference only and enough for the most. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have driven my much loved iQ3 75000 miles over the last 3 years. The fuel gauge is probably the most irritating feature. I always fill to the brim, reset the trip gauge. Once the last block starts flashing, I check the trip meter. If it's north of 300 miles, I start to look for a petrol station.

Apart from that, just enjoy your new toy!

regards

I got just over 130 miles on the first block. I quickly pressed the dooberry button to see what mileage I had on the Trip 'A' and that was it, 130 miles. Coming back from Cheshire this early afternoon (22-11-2012), about lunchtime, the wind was horrendous. I don't know what I'd eaten... no, that's not it. The wind against the car was really bad, worst I have experienced in this country. What I noticed though was the amount of numptees driving in it without any lights on. Also, there was the Audi drivers, speeding through it all as it doesn't affect them like the rest of us... the MORONS!

• 7 years later...

I have had my 2012 Scion iq since I bought it new.....I have the same "when you fill it up with gas, the

gauge shows 3/4 tank instead of full.  In the years I have owned this car, I finally resolved this problem. 

When you fill the tank with gas and BEFORE you put the gas cap on, go to the back of the car...open

your hatch, and vigorously push up and down on the rear of the car several times. (which shakes up the

gas in the tank and at the same time, resets the gas gauge reading to full. Works for me.....???

Good luck!