Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vsc & Trc Lights On 2006 D4D

rockall

Help Guys!

My sons 2006 D4D, 48k from new, suddenly had both these lights on and a smell of exhaust fumes inside car. Went into his local independent garage who service the car to be told the EGR valve was blocked.They say they removed this, cleaned it, cleaned injectors and other bits and relieved him of £200 and sent him on his way. After about 20 miles both lights on again, Back to garage who now say the EGR valve is faulty and have quoted £400 plus labour to do job.

Is this a heavy price for the part? Is this likely to be an end to the problem and if not is there anyway of turning these lights of so we can bung it in auction and get rid.

Son is most disillusioned with car and so am I as Dad has to keep dipping in his pocket!

Any advice or helpful suggestions appreciated

With it being a low mileage i would be inclined to say egr valve is fine, i would definately not be paying that much for such a simple job, there are posts all over the forums about the cleaning procedure also, it could also be a sticky wheel sensor that is causing this issue, try putting some redex (fuel system and injector cleaner) into the tank and give it a hard(!!!)drive aswell, also i believe the fuel filter can be a potential culprit for this but you can pick one of them up for under a tenner, try these first but my advice would be dont pay up for it and also it is not a serious problem really and hopefully one of these suggestions will sort it out

Regards phil

Hi Phil

Thanks for that. Could you explain a bit more about the wheel sensor. Will get son to bung in a can of redex and give it a blast. Also will get fuel filter changed as I remember daughter in law put petrol in it ( and yes she is blond) and although all drained i wonder whether they changed filter.

Regards

Rockall

Yep I definitely agree with Phil, that's a lot of money you have already paid out for a egr clean and at 48k for a diesel is nothing, mine has 142k with original EGR, So I wouldn't be looking at buying a new EGR valve.

mine got cleaned out two weeks ago, 2 hour job labour £30, £5 carb cleaner.

When was it last serviced?

S/Disconnect Battery for a few minutes to clear dash lights, have the same because of glow plug issue,anti yaw and abc/tc are affected when lights active so I disconnect Battery every two weeks or so when they come on....

Had this problem with my 2.2 D4D AA man said it was contaminated fuel after draining fuel and flushing system no problems now done 170000 mls never had EGR cleaned but use injector cleaner every 10000 and Lucas fuel treatment all the time. used as a taxi so very varied running.

Thanks Jim taxi and all others for your advice and suggestions. Will try all your ideas and see where we go. I think one of the problems is that the car is now only used for the school run about 2 miles and shopping so it never gets warm. I feel a good belt up the motorway would do it the world of good. Will keep you posted of outcome.

Regards

Rockall

• 2 weeks later...

In your place i whould read error code by shortening obd pins or at the dealer- they have more advanced scanner. And then it will be clear what is wrong and what shoul be fixed

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0400

• 2 weeks later...

the only thing about disconnecting the Battery for 20 to 30 minutes and then reconnecting it is that IF the lights DO come back on THEN there really is a problem but quite often its happened because a fuse was blown / changed ,which can set them to come on. if it does come back on then i would suggest finding a good reliable trustworthy mechanic/not main dealer who will set you right.