Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Alloy Sizing...

TheNissanMan

After a post by Jerry Phipps on another topic I thought I'd start a new thread with a few alloy questions.

How can you work out the size of the larget alloy whell you can put on your car, are there any guidlines which people should use ?

Everyone mentions offset and the like, what is the offset and why is it important ?

OK these may sound like really stupid questions to some, but if you don't havea clue then would be interesting and useful to know....

offset is the distance between the hub face an the outer edge of the rim increasing offset mackes the car tramline more:cool:

www.performancealloys.com have a technical help page that explains every thing you need to know about alloys,how offset is calculated and a lot more tech info about them.I just use their fool proof guide which gives you the alloys available to your car and the correct tyre size so you don't get any arch rubbing i looked for a yaris, it will take 19's with 235/35ZR19 tyres on.The PA-2 alloys are very nice and at £1650 for a set of 19's with tyres is not that bad a price,but you could be looking at over £800 for new sets of tyres.

Thanks sorted avensis. That site is great. And also i would like to thank rhaines as well for reposting the topic.

Cheers to you both jerry :D

On a different note i could only afford 17's with 215/40Z17'S tyre fitted.I have been to my local supplier for a wheel spacer kit and he refuse's to sell me one on the grounds it will knacker up my wheel bearings.Is this true or is he taking the p**s.:(

Those alloy wheels are really nice. But at the end of the day you can only buy what you can afford.

Personally i think that 17" are fine for a yaris. If you go any bigger i think that it will look like a moon buggy! :D

Jerry!!

Very true,noticed the prices in max power ads for alloys+tyres packages coming down all the time.Daft as it seems for the cost of my tyres for an extra £150 i can get nice shiny new alloys and tyres,plus then you can sell the old ones on for a little bit,bonus.:D Anyway the buggy look is in nowadays just look at the new avensis:o:P

only problem with alloy and tyre packages i've seen is that they always put crap rubber on with the alloys, personally would always buy seperate as what's the point in having a quick car if it can't stick to the road....

Thats very true rhaines. But you can always go from a more expensive tyre match if you want. This will properly bump up the tyre and alloy deal :(

jerry!!

rather bump up the price if it meant i had more control of the vehicle.....

decent tyres are on of the most important parts of a car IMHO, silly to skimp on the rubber..

sorted avensis

You are taking the utter pish. There is no way you could fit 235/35/19s on to the Yaris without seriously altering the gearing. And i dont even think the front wheels would turn past the arches. They would be 71mm taller than standard 15" rims. And about 12% out in gearing. What alot of pants...I nearly cracked a rib i laughed so much..Have you got any more like that.............What about JCB tyres on an old mini..lolss

As for the 17s you will prob be better going for 215/35/17s

Otherwish again they will be too tall

215/40/16s might be a better bet.

If you still want the car to handle almost ok.

The guy at performance alloys quoted those sizes and phoned him back he sticks by them but points out you would usually only have those sizes on a cover car for a shoot,then usually after a shoot the owners swaps back to his normal driving alloys probably 16's or 17's.The last alloy+tyre package i got are the ones i have on now 17"wolfrace icons with khumo tyres for £570 and they handle brilliantly.

Well if thats what you are doing just getting picture taken then pay for Melinda messenger to drape herself over your car. It would look a dame site better. As for me i will stick with driving. Ans as i said you would prob be better sticking with 16" 17" at the very max...There must be something to do with inadiquate pen£s size and getting the biggest alloys you can find to fit your car, despite what it does to the handling. So go for it, get those 22"ers!!

i looked for a yaris, it will take 19's with 235/35ZR19 tyres on.The PA-2 alloys are very nice and at £1650 for a set of 19's with tyres is not that bad a price,but you could be looking at over £800 for new sets of tyres.

This iis BS, as the outer diameter of the wheel with this tyre is 6.5cm different from the R15's it comes with - the 235 wheel diameter would be very difficult - i think the car might go streight with one front seat passanger :D

The best possible match if you want to put 17" wheels on is a 195/40/R17 (the overall wheel height different from the standard wheels is 3mm so no real speedo error or gearing problems) - but I dont think that 17's will take a 195, the error on a 205/40/17 is little more, although the tyre would be 10mm wider and I don't know how much scuffing you would get with this - I did put 195's on my GS - which scuffed a bit over bumps with three big peeps in the back.

If you were going to go with a 16" rim, you could go with a 195/45/R16 tyre and the error is even less, this combination would be 2.6mm taller than the overall height of the standard wheels and only present a spedo error of +0.45mph @ 100mph. Again I dont think that 16" rims can take a 195 tyre either, so allowing for a 205 tyre the error is now +6.4mm on overall height and 20mm wider than the standard T-Sport tyre.

I know that a 195 tyre fits quite nicely on a Yaris - I have at 195/55/R15's on my GS for about 2 years now and only get minor scraping with three big blokes in the back over bumps etc. I am assuming that even with the TSport lowered, this size shouldnt be a problem as the suspension is theoretically a lot harder than that of the GS - the 205 tyre is approx 10mm wider than a 195, so you could probably get away with this on standard T-Sport springs with no work done on the arches - I would want to try some out though with some load in the back before purchasing.

Hope this helps - Steve.

sorry lads i've always used this firm for my alloys.i have 2 feature cars to my credit but admit when i get it wrong sorry for that.but if a firm says and guarantees they will fit who can you believe.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links