Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Car Or Waiting?

I find it interesting as there are a number of folks that have replaced their Ravs recently, I did it as I prefer the last of a model rather than being a new adopter but I am guessing there mut be a number waiting for the new type?

I see that the new Rav is being unveiled at the LA motor show at the end of November/beginning of December.

Gus

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rambler

• DominicPriestley

• firemac

• Paulus17

I'm looking forward to the new model, we all have a general idea of how it will look and unless there is anything extremely off putting, which I very much doubt I shall become a 4.4. Guinea Pig. I'm guessing a UK launch in Spring 2013 ?

Seeing the way Toyota are aparently clearing all stocks of the current RAV I would guess the new model will appear sooner rather than later. Emptying the showrooms of this class of vehicle at the onset of winter for any length of time would surely be a mistake. I'm very interested to see what happens but I wont be in the market to buy one since my XTR-150 is less than a year old and with 15K miles it's not even fully run in.

The dealers are going nuts as they have no stock They are also offering discounts and interest free - the dealers can't thank Toyota enough!!!

I really don't know!

I'm really happy with my SR180 - Mar '09, 46,000 miles - Bridgestone Run-Flats and all! :)

What I want is an SR200 (auto) ... I'm perfectly happy with the 4.3 chassis etc.; just want the same or better performance and economy with a good auto box - not too much to ask surely?

Mr T and my local dealer told me they wanted to offer me a great deal on my current car this spring, but then the dealer pretty much rubbished the current SR auto on the grounds of appalling fuel consumption and weren't going to get one as a demonstrator. And, on paper, it doesn't have the performance of my SR180. I note that there are one or two on here delighted by the current auto.

I've been solely tempted by the current 0% finance offer but until Mr T can offer me a 'better' car than the one I already have I'll stick with what I've got ... I think.

My real fear is that the 4.4 will turn out to be something 'soft' - homogenised, safe and economical, looking a bit like a tall car afraid of getting its feet wet and indistinguishable from all the other 'mid-sized' SUVs appearing on the market today. I want a RAV!

I really don't know!

I'm really happy with my SR180 - Mar '09, 46,000 miles - Bridgestone Run-Flats and all! :)

What I want is an SR200 (auto) ... I'm perfectly happy with the 4.3 chassis etc.; just want the same or better performance and economy with a good auto box - not too much to ask surely?

Mr T and my local dealer told me they wanted to offer me a great deal on my current car this spring, but then the dealer pretty much rubbished the current SR auto on the grounds of appalling fuel consumption and weren't going to get one as a demonstrator. And, on paper, it doesn't have the performance of my SR180. I note that there are one or two on here delighted by the current auto.

I've been solely tempted by the current 0% finance offer but until Mr T can offer me a 'better' car than the one I already have I'll stick with what I've got ... I think.

My real fear is that the 4.4 will turn out to be something 'soft' - homogenised, safe and economical, looking a bit like a tall car afraid of getting its feet wet and indistinguishable from all the other 'mid-sized' SUVs appearing on the market today. I want a RAV!

If you ever need to prove it to yourself, Philip....come up furra coffee.

Only a few weeks ago I let go my cherished SR 180 which I had reputedly uprated to 218bhp with Kingo Chip Kit.

I have driven my new SR Auto in normal guise, and can genuinely say it compares very favourably with my SR 180 UNCHIPPED.

Now with the same but updated Lindop chip in my 150, increasing its bhp to....well I never asked Kingo.....it will genuinely give your / my chipped SR 180 a richt good run for its money.....no excrement. The power curve in standard mode had been tweaked I am informed, and this marries perfectly with the amended chip kit. The auto box is so much more pleasant than the '180 manual, AND THAT IS WHAT MAY "LEAVE IT STANDING", SHOULD YOU WANT TO PLAY RACES.

As far as economy goes, I can only quote the pre-chip result of 30/31 mpg, which admittedly is pants. Going by the OBC only on my latest brimmer test after Chip Kit fitted, I am exceeding 36mpg on really crap short journeys.....promise to update further.

Big Kev

I also fear the new Rav will look more like the Mazda SUV offerings. I do think previous and current Rav have a chunky look about them. I would imagine Toyota will have to continue the 0% on the new model to keep people buying. I reckon the new models starting price will be in the 28k bracket with top models gong for £32-33k.

Have a sneaky suspicion the top model will be around the £35/36k mark, DP, with supposed "discounts" early in its life to keep interest ticking over. A wee Rav vacuum has however seemingly been created....deliberate marketing ploy.....or *****-up on the launch front....?

I'll be in the same boat come Feb, my 136bhp XT5 has / is done me well, love the leather, sunroof, sat nav, a full sized spare on boot, towbar and (I think) the last year before the dpf's were introduced to the mainstream models. Plus I have 5 spare alloys for summer / winter use - so another reason to stick with 4.3.

Are there good offers on the Rav at the moment, haven't been by a dealer lately?

Kev, My auto took quite a while to really settle down with a marked improvement after the first service, now after 15K the overall fuel consumption is 37.8. On long trips (80% motorway standard roads) brim to brim is just over 41 and when towing a 1200Kg caravan it managed 32. I'm very content with this, I tend not to exceed speed limits as I can't afford the fines and only use cruise control on roads with average speed cameras (can anyone stick to 50 for long periods on an empty motorway at night?) as I can never find anywhere to rest my right foot and still be able to get on the pedals quick enough in emergency. Not tried that in anger, practising on empty roads has left me uncertain enough not to risk it. Judging by the dash instantaneous readout, above 75 on the clock the tank develops a dump valve it empties so fast. Hope you're wrong on the new model pricing, though I too like Dominic feel the new model could be radically different to the current 4.3.

I seriously think that if you look at the "New Auris" and imagine it a little bit more sized up then you will not be far from the 4.4 Rav.

Regards Clare

Have a sneaky suspicion the top model will be around the £35/36k mark, DP, with supposed "discounts" early in its life to keep interest ticking over. A wee Rav vacuum has however seemingly been created....deliberate marketing ploy.....or *****-up on the launch front....?

If it is Kev, that'll put me out of range on a new one and possibly make potential buyers look towards Kia etc. Toyota have to get the price in the right bracket to keep punters interested. A Rav vacuum? Could be costly. I'm a regular at Immingham docks and it is scary to see how many Kia's are arriving every day!

I seriously think that if you look at the "New Auris" and imagine it a little bit more sized up then you will not be far from the 4.4 Rav.

Regards Clare

I'm with Clare, think you have the basic shape in the Auris.

Gus

I hope the new model will contiue to fit in to the market as the 4.3 has, more practical and hard wearing than say a Honda CRV but not as agricultural as a Subaru Forester, it's so important they get this model right, the flat rear loading area is something I would miss were it to be changed, along with the relatively low load height.

The diff lock is something else that very few of the many recent 'pretenders' have so hopefully the drivetrain will remain very similar. my only hope is that the SR type spec will be available in both auto and manual models as I personally prefer a manual, even with it's 'baulkiness'.....time will tell.

If it is Kev, that'll put me out of range on a new one and possibly make potential buyers look towards Kia etc. Toyota have to get the price in the right bracket to keep punters interested. A Rav vacuum? Could be costly. I'm a regular at Immingham docks and it is scary to see how many Kia's are arriving every day!

Have you driven the Kia! IMHO not a patch on the Toyota, even in its early 4.3 guise. Doubtless the old model has now been overtaken by the later 4 x 4's, but Toyota, who started the craze and are now returning to the market with an "all new" model must seize the chance to have another market leader, lets hope so! :ermm:

Nope, I wouldn't buy one. However, those looking for a 4x4 SUV (may) look at the price of a new Rav and baulk at it. (If there is a price increase). As you say, Toyota have to get this Rav right from the very first one off the production line.

Ive never liked the 4.3 ever since i first saw it, if the 4.4 goes even more along the lines of a exaggerated avensis....then yuk.

I think Ford have the Kuga just right,and Mitshubishi have the new shogun spot on...all that needs is more ground clearance !,i am very tempted at an 3-5 years old shogun myself.

If Suzuki made the 3dr Vitara more refined with low range and better build quality....i'd have one tomorrow.It has the look,but nothing more.

Those Shoguns are a handsome looking brute. They have a very loyal following aswell.

Those Shoguns are a handsome looking brute. They have a very loyal following aswell.

Ive admired the newer shape for a while now,now they have rid of those horrid round front wheel arches,the design is spot on and detail is spot on,....its just that they have low ground clearance compared to a LC.

My neighbour is a ground worker who has just bought the rounded wheel arch model..." field " is the model,the engine sound is just awesome.......I would be forever worried about bottoming out though.The LC has much better clearance.

Hmm, I'd never looked at the low(ish) ground clearance before. They are cracking value though at 3-5 years old.

Hmm, I'd never looked at the low(ish) ground clearance before. They are cracking value though at 3-5 years old.

Being the sad off road ,chunky 4x4 liking bloke i am,i am always ( really sad ) looking at ground clearance of 4x4 trucks as they drive in front of me,the land cruiser colorado is almost the best one.The land rover 90 / 110 is in a class of its own with its live axles.

The Toyota hilux again with live axle on the rear is superb,but the front lets it down,i have often looked at Toyota hilux surf's.....now that had excellent ground clearance front and rear,if that was still available within past few years...i'd grab one,like the design and its raw power.and cab capacity,

Just looked at new shogun specs,220mm ground clearance...not bad actually,so i may even give one a test drive shortly,as they are very good value for money,at 3.-5 years old.......and 105'000 miles is nothing to those.

I could be persuaded by an LC in the near future. Current Rav will go to SWMBO and we'll move her Yaris on. I'd look at the Shogun aswell. Hilux no good to me as I couldn't let the dog travel in the back, she's used to the luxury of the Rav boot.

I could be persuaded by an LC in the near future. Current Rav will go to SWMBO and we'll move her Yaris on. I'd look at the Shogun aswell. Hilux no good to me as I couldn't let the dog travel in the back, she's used to the luxury of the Rav boot.

I've always sort of regretted selling my LC4 (apart from the Astral Black paintwork, which I was absolutely DELIGHTED to see the back of!). I'm interested in seeing what the 4.4 is like since I too never really took to the 4.3. I reckon it didn't have the chunkiness of the 4.2.

If the 4.4 does end up like the CX5 et al, then I fear that I may move on from Toyota - the Shogun has always been on my shortlist.

I've always sort of regretted selling my LC4 (apart from the Astral Black paintwork, which I was absolutely DELIGHTED to see the back of!). I'm interested in seeing what the 4.4 is like since I too never really took to the 4.3. I reckon it didn't have the chunkiness of the 4.2.

If the 4.4 does end up like the CX5 et al, then I fear that I may move on from Toyota - the Shogun has always been on my shortlist.

I like the Shogun, I had a swb diesel some years ago which was faultless, the boot space is the killer on the swb though. We currently have an LC4 which is an incredible thing and in my humble opinion the better vehicle of the two although the Shogun might be more pleasing to the eye.

I'm afraid we are gonna wait......................Till we win the Lotto :D

Think we'll be waiting a long time. :dontgetit: