Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Car Or Waiting?

You can't just "replace" a Rav with an LC, they're completely different classes size/cost wise.You'd be "upgrading"!

LCs need to be needed. Except for the rich, you must have a very good reason to need the LC, either for it's size or the towing etc.

I have a Rav and a Disco at present. I'd love to replace the Disco with an LC but can't afford it just yet (the LC would have to be the big Amazon type to tow as much as the Disco)

Didn't realise the tax was so high though, just due to emissions then?

Dave

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rambler

• DominicPriestley

• firemac

• Paulus17

You can't just "replace" a Rav with an LC, they're completely different classes size/cost wise.You'd be "upgrading"!

LCs need to be needed. Except for the rich, you must have a very good reason to need the LC, either for it's size or the towing etc.

I have a Rav and a Disco at present. I'd love to replace the Disco with an LC but can't afford it just yet (the LC would have to be the big Amazon type to tow as much as the Disco)

Dave

Fail to see why not. I traded in my diesel RAV for the LC originally simply because we liked the extra space & the ability to go anywhere. As I said, the cost wasn't in any way prohibitive & you don't need to be rich to run one - I'm certainly not in the habit of throwing money away. As far as I can see, the LC isn't any more expensive than the Disco but is a lot more reliable.

As for towing capacity, the LC & the Hi-Lux are both rated lower than a lot of their competitors; maybe Toyota place long-term reliability higher than the others, i.e. better to de-rate the towing limit and make sure that your product can carry on when others have failed.

Replacing a Rav with an LC maybe be a step up into a different class if buying new. A few years old and initial purchase price comes down somewhat. Fuel costs would be higher and VED but servicing ec should be on a par with the Rav, especially if you do your own. A shame that Toyota don't do 4x4 experience days like Landrover. Taking an LC out to see what it can really do would be great fun!

Dave

Fail to see why not. I traded in my diesel RAV for the LC originally simply because we liked the extra space & the ability to go anywhere. As I said, the cost wasn't in any way prohibitive & you don't need to be rich to run one - I'm certainly not in the habit of throwing money away. As far as I can see, the LC isn't any more expensive than the Disco but is a lot more reliable.

As for towing capacity, the LC & the Hi-Lux are both rated lower than a lot of their competitors; maybe Toyota place long-term reliability higher than the others, i.e. better to de-rate the towing limit and make sure that your product can carry on when others have failed.

You upgraded to an LC then for the extra space, that's fair enough and I agree, once purchased, the running costs of an LC and a Discovery would be similar. But both a fair bit more than a Rav.

There's many people on here longing for a smaller (I.e. 3 door) Rav from days of yor and there's just as many wishing their Rav was a little bigger!!

I think it's just perfect for me, a "compact" 4x4 with reasonable running costs and I think great looks. My Disco is purely practical (for lugging stuff round and towing) and costs what it costs. I've had to start repairing it myself as its got so expensive to keep fixing! Something I'd hope the LC would rectify!

Just got to get the money to buy it first!

Dave

I love my Rav, and the space in it is ideal. I wish Toyota would make a Rav that has all the toys the LC has, and do a version that looks a lot more chunky/aggressive.

Just been looking at the LC on the Toyota website, didn't realise they made a three door version, would have fallen over it I hadn't been sat down....

Gus

Yup, really rugged beasts, especially the early ones.

Dave

You upgraded to an LC then for the extra space, that's fair enough and I agree, once purchased, the running costs of an LC and a Discovery would be similar. But both a fair bit more than a Rav.

There's many people on here longing for a smaller (I.e. 3 door) Rav from days of yor and there's just as many wishing their Rav was a little bigger!!

I think it's just perfect for me, a "compact" 4x4 with reasonable running costs and I think great looks. My Disco is purely practical (for lugging stuff round and towing) and costs what it costs. I've had to start repairing it myself as its got so expensive to keep fixing! Something I'd hope the LC would rectify!

Just got to get the money to buy it first!

Dave

Hi Dave, your comments are fair but let me put it in perspective. We've got two teenage kids (13 & 16) who have become even more tall & gangly in the past year or so plus a grown-up daughter who has come home to live with her 5 year-old daughter. We have two RAV's (3-dr & 5-dr) plus a MMT Aygo which together can cope with this motley crew (plus dogs, of course) but any outing turns into a bit of a convoy, one way or t'other. The LC, with its 8 seats, coped wonderfully on its own.

Example: shortly after buying the LC, a Mothers' Day family outing required that my Good Lady, plus oldest daughter (now a mother herself) plus Mother-in-Law, plus Sister-in-Law plus kids all needed to be got to restaurant for din-dins - LC was perfect. Another example: numerous hols are taken in Bonnie Scotland - with LC, family plus dogs could be easily chucked in with space to spare. Whilst RAV 5-dr can cope with addition of roof box and everyone more crowded inside - not as nice. And the LC was better on mpg than the RAV!

As for cost, as I've already said, the LC only ever needed 10K services (which were no more expensive than for the RAV), the ins was very resonable and averaged 30 mpg. Only VED was a bit steep @ £425. No brainer, really. I only sold it because it was standing idle for weeks at a time as I was training to London, etc. most of the time then. Yes, at £45K-ish, the LC is alot pricier than the RAV but as a long-term investment (& we've had the 5-dr RAV for over 10 years from new now), it's still very credible, moreso given its very strong residuals.

I love my Rav, and the space in it is ideal. I wish Toyota would make a Rav that has all the toys the LC has, and do a version that looks a lot more chunky/aggressive.

I agree Dominic,if it was just a bit bigger,possibly with low range / diff locks and looked more chunky...it'd be superb.

Or if Toyota made a mini landcruiser.....i'm sure it would be a good seller,something with decent ground clearance,low range and perhaps 2.0 or 2.2 diesel engine,something like the LJ cruiser / or jeep cherokee.

Dave

I can and would love to replace my Rav with a LC ,i love its strength reliability and its awseome road presence,i like sitting higher and in a lovely ' crows nest ' style and comfort.

I don't want to tow anything,or use all its interior capacity,.....i just want to enjoy it as the huge 4x4 vehicle that it is,and know it will get pretty much anywhere i wish to go.

I love looking down on mere mortals in their pint size cars in my Rav whilst in traffic jams,as people try to push past me into a space thats not there...if i was in a nice big Amazon,they would just stop at my big chunky mud terrain tyres...and think themselves lucky i dont drive over them ,and if it was covered in mud....even better :laughing:

Thats the feeling i want..........but dont want the costs associated.

Dave

I can and would love to replace my Rav with a LC ,i love its strength reliability and its awseome road presence,i like sitting higher and in a lovely ' crows nest ' style and comfort.

I don't want to tow anything,or use all its interior capacity,.....i just want to enjoy it as the huge 4x4 vehicle that it is,and know it will get pretty much anywhere i wish to go.

I love looking down on mere mortals in their pint size cars in my Rav whilst in traffic jams,as people try to push past me into a space thats not there...if i was in a nice big Amazon,they would just stop at my big chunky mud terrain tyres...and think themselves lucky i dont drive over them ,and if it was covered in mud....even better :laughing:

Sounds like you need to buy a tractor Rambs...........

This could well be the solution if the 4.4 turns out to be a disappointmrnt:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/superb/60929/skoda-superb-outdoor

Good relilability & prices are keen. If VAG have sorted their ABS & VSS gremlins then this could perhaps be my next RAV......

http://www.autoexpre...-superb-outdoor

Good relilability & prices are keen. If VAG have sorted their ABS & VSS gremlins then this could perhaps be my next RAV......

By the time I had specced up the stablemate VW Passat Alltrack (170bhp Automatic), it had bustified £32k, Jim.....then I asked about leather seats, and nearly got an invite to the VAG golf outing.....they were in excess of another £2k !!!!

If the Skoda equilavent drives anything like the VW, it will be a real winner at the prices in your link.....it was stunning, but ma new Rav was £8k cheaper than what is, after all is dead and sun, a Passat estate car.....which clung t'road like a Ferrari.

Big Kev

http://www.autoexpre...-superb-outdoor

By the time I had specced up the stablemate VW Passat Alltrack (170bhp Automatic), it had bustified £32k, Jim.....then I asked about leather seats, and nearly got an invite to the VAG golf outing.....they were in excess of another £2k !!!!

If the Skoda equilavent drives anything like the VW, it will be a real winner at the prices in your link.....it was stunning, but ma new Rav was £8k cheaper than what is, after all is dead and sun, a Passat estate car.....which clung t'road like a Ferrari.

Big Kev

Bear in mind though, BK, that Skoda's pricing always undercuts VW so there could be hope on that front. As for size, the Superb, esp the estate, gets superb (!) write-ups, particularly for space & ride comfort. Re the Passat, I reckon you could fit one of those into the back of the Outdoor.

It's also pretty likely that TGB are going to make as much hay as they can on the 4.4 so they are unlikely to come at anything like the prices that run-out 4.3's are going at.

Dave

Sounds like you need to buy a tractor Rambs...........

Naaaa.....this will do nicely.. ! ! !

Landcruiser80monster.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links