Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Confused About Spark Plugs In 1Az-Fse

perdaniel

Today I removed the spark plug on cylinder 1, and it was a Denso Iridium IK20. I assume that all 4 are the same. According to my Haynes manual I should use Denso SK20R11, according to this website: http://www.globalden...t&action=search I should use Denso SK20BR11 or Denso VKB20. The same website says that IK20 is usable in 3S-FE or 1AZ-FE.

My conclusion is that the current sparkplugs are wrong, but I am confused as to which spark plugs I should buy: SK20R11, SK20BR11 or VKB20.

It seems that my new Haynes manual is wrong, as most other sources says that the 1AZ-FSE engine in my Avensis D4 requires SK20BR11 spark plugs. I will buy new plugs tomorrow, and I have already sent an email to Haynes about the appearent error in their book.

I checked my Haynes manual and Denso SK20R11 is quoted for post August 2000 2.0 litre engines -1AZ-FE, whilst Denso PK20TR11 is quote for pre August 2000 2.0 litre engines - 3S-FE.

My Haynes has 2006 printed.

I always cross reference any info I need with the Haynes manual, the hand book for the car, ToyoDIY, this forum and the web in general.

Denso may have updated the range of their plugs.

I checked my Haynes manual and Denso SK20R11 is quoted for post August 2000 2.0 litre engines -1AZ-FE, whilst Denso PK20TR11 is quote for pre August 2000 2.0 litre engines - 3S-FE.

My Haynes has 2006 printed.

I always cross reference any info I need with the Haynes manual, the hand book for the car, ToyoDIY, this forum and the web in general.

Denso may have updated the range of their plugs.

It is possible that Denso updated their range of plugs, but does your 2006 manual say that the 2.0 vvt-i engine is a 1AZ-FE? The engine in my car is a 1AZ-FSE, which is the direct injection version of the 1AZ-FE. My Haynes manual, which is printed in 2011, correctly identifies the engine as a 1AZ-FSE. If the authors at Haynes used to be under the impression that the 2.0 vvt-i engine in the mk1b Avensis was a 1AZ-FE, it could explain why the manual recommends a spark plug for that engine, and not for the correct direct injected engine.

PS

I just checked with a Toyota manual with a copyright notice dated 2000, which I found on a russian website, and it says that Denso SK20BR11 or NGK IFR6A-11T spark plugs should be used on the 1AZ-FSE.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links