Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Some Advise For A First Time Rav4 Owner

rogsmith

Hello to all.I purchased my first Rav4 yesterday and so far so good.I have a couple of questions though.I was given 3 keys one of which is a key with the buttons on it the other two have the box attached as well as the key.Now the one key with the buttons dosnt seem to fit so could be a rogue.

So the keys im using with the boxes have seen better days and i would prefer the single key with the buttons attached.Is this expensive to sort out,i assume they would need resetting etc.

Also the immobiliser i havnt had it yet but the bloke that sold me the car only mentioned about it quickly.How do i reset if it goes off.He mentioned it going off when he left the car unlocked once so i could do with knowing if this should it happen to me.

I hope those questions come across ok and dont seem to daft.Many thanks to anyone that replies.

Welcome to the mad house. Can you update your profile or tell us year, etc of your car so we can help.

Hi rog and welcome

Suggest more info on your wheels,will help those who can help,like year, model etc

Del

Hello mate.Yeah certainly sorry about that.I will say now and then update my profile in a minute.Ok its a 1995 2.0 gx.Its got full service history all at toyota garages and to be honest for the year its a very tidy car.

On that model the immobiliser is deactivated when the right key is inserted and the car and key recognize each other,so cannot go off.

Also the key and seperate fob were the order of the day then

Del

Hi mate,

Snap just picked mine up today ! had the two keys and no remote, was thinking how the immobiliser was activated myself then when i locked the door with the key it set it off ! looks like back to the old days then , manually locking the car that's not on lol

Hello mate.

Ok thats good to know.So one of the keys is certainly rogue.Is there any good way of getting a new box then for mine as one is held together with tape and i havnt actually tried if it works yet.The one im using has also seen better days and i would prefer to get a new one.Many thanks for your answer mate.

dyer864

Hello mate,thats a bit of a pain mate.Im slightly better then as my fob at least works remotely although as my questions they have seen better days and could do with replacing before they dont want to know.

I should have said when .the key is fitted in the ignition,the immobiliser and car alarm are two seperate items and the fob only locks/unlocks the doors and sets the alarm.

Del

These do come up on eBay and if I remember right they can be progammed by you to work on your car,but I seem to remember the early alarms gave trouble after a while.

There is a member on here who goes by the name of Bothwell Buyer who knows the MK1s inside out and I am sure he will help on this if he comes on line

Del

Great stuff thanks mate.Its not a major problem yet but could be and i would rather get a new one now than when its a necessity.I think i have found a way of reprogramming but need to find where to buy the fob.

dyer864

Hello mate,thats a bit of a pain mate.Im slightly better then as my fob at least works remotely although as my questions they have seen better days and could do with replacing before they dont want to know.

If your remote works OK then yes cases are for sale on eBay

Del

Yes mate it does,although its very quiet you only know it has worked by the lights flashing.Also it only seems to work fairly near the drivers side of the car.Is it on its way im not sure but as i said the case has seen better days.

Ok thanks again mate.Doing lots of searching and cant find one fob case let alone an actual fob that could be reprogrammed.

Similar mate but it has the two buttons alongside each other one is black the other red and its more rectangular.

Wow mate how the !Removed! hell have you done that.Yeah thats it now are they simple to programme.

Does that seem like a good deal,are new ones not around somewhere.

You've got me now Rog mate,mine had a denso system so don't think I can help you there, sorry.

Del