Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Girl Here :d

deb2012

Hi there :),

Following a recent career change i have decided that a 4x4 would suit my needs best.

Having looked around i have settled on wanting a Rav4 :D

I still have yet to sell my current car but i'm looking at a 97-98 year model as its replacement and just wondered if anyone local to me has one that i could possibly take a look around ?. Not yet decided on whether a 3 or 5 door so would like to see some in the flesh :D.

Its gonna be a petrol as i don't do the miles to warrant a diesel but i just need a more suitable vehicle that i'm not scared to take out in bad weather lol !.

I'm not new to cars and i'll do as much to them as i'm physically able to (being on 5ft ish). My current car is a 2.0 V6 engine. We've mostly had mazdas for the last 5 years so i have a lot to learn about Ravs but i can't wait :).

On that note is there anything that i should specifically look out for when looking to purchase one ?. Other than the usual leaks, rust etc etc

Welcome to the club Deb. One of our 4.1 experts will chip in soon.

There seems to be quite a few late 90's model Rav4s around just now, most of them going relatively cheaply because of higher road tax and very average MPG figures. I don't think it would be hard to find a decent one, so look for a low'ish mileage & a full service history. At least that way you'd know it was looked after & not had too hard a life.

Thanks guys :).

Well i pay the same road tax as what i will be so nothing new there lol ! and i get around the same mpg from my current car.

Just wanting something more suited to both the british roads and the good old british weather :rolleyes: . After the last couple of winters and not driving my car for the fear of damaging it i want to be able to get to work and feel safe :).

I am a bit of a clean freak when it comes to my car as you can see from the pic below :lol2:

meengine21103.jpg

Thanks guys :).

Well i pay the same road tax as what i will be so nothing new there lol ! and i get around the same mpg from my current car.

Just wanting something more suited to both the british roads and the good old british weather :rolleyes: . After the last couple of winters and not driving my car for the fear of damaging it i want to be able to get to work and feel safe :).

I am a bit of a clean freak when it comes to my car as you can see from the pic below :lol2:

meengine21103.jpg

Nice job there Deb,

There has been a post on the forum recently, about this subject. Consensus seems to be that if you need the space, then go for a 4 door, but the 3 door drivers seem to love their cars. You may well get a better loved 3 door, but personally, I like to know the history of my cars, and that is important!

Whatever you chose, you will not be disappointed, and good luck with the hunt. :driving:

Thanks for that :D

I don't actually need that much space but i think i'm gonna have to go 4 door just incase i need to take my parents anywhere :(, they certainly would struggle to get in a 3 door.

I've got some stuff to do to mine for its mot before i can sell it but i'm itching to get a Rav :thumbsup:

having had both a p reg 4.1 and my current 52 plate 4.2 (both 3 doors) , i can tell you if you can find a good affordable 3 door 4.2 it's well worth it , the seats are loads better and the rears on the 4.2 come out altogether to give more space, whereas the 4.1 they only fold up.MPG wise, there's not a lot in it 29 - 34mpg , i dont know what tyre situation is now with a 4.1 but OE tyres were difficult to get and a bit pricey as it was the only car that used that particular size.

This is why i need to take a look as some in the flesh so to speak. Think i might have to drag hubby out at the weekend and go find some :laughing: .

I'm looking at spending about 8-900 (hopefully). Not the best budget but thats what i'm hoping to get for my current car !.

......and if that's your lovely wee dug, Debz, you will need the 4/5 door or it will end up claustro-thingmybob in the boot of a 3 door....lol.

Big Kev

It is Kev :D.

Buster is his name and he lives up to it very well :lol2:

You mean he robs trains or just chases em :D :D

Welcome to the forum Deb :thumbsup:

We went to look at a 3 door last weekend,well Mrs P did as she had a craving for one i think,but she didn't like it comparing it to the 5 door,so i would look at as many 3 and 5 doors as you can and test drive eas many as you can to get a feel for em.

Good luck in your quest.

It is Kev :D.

Buster is his name and he lives up to it very well :lol2:

You mean he robs trains or just chases em :D :D

Thankfully he doesn't do trains :D. He's just busted up my once beautiful garden :(, will even eat rose bushes and catch hedgehogs :o. Even when the spines get him he doesn't learn. A true terrier :D

Looking forward to go seeing some and i think i'm definately swaying more towards a 5 door thinking about it. All the extra shopping i could get in ;) (after all i am a woman :P )

Hi Deb,

We went for a 5 door 2004 model last year and it has been a great wee car. We had a look at 3 doors but having two border terriers and a missus that also likes shopping, the 5 door won hands down. Haven't had a chance to test it on wintry roads yet as last winter was very mild, but no doubt it will come good when required.

It seems as if all terriers are mental then. Wee dogs with big hearts and lots of attitude.

Good luck with your search.

I think you're right :) definately got to be a 5 door !.

So can't wait to get one now (i'm a little impatient as any of my friends would tell you :lol2: ). Been getting insurance quotes and its cheaper to insure than my car :D. Wasn't expecting that :) .

Hi Deb and welcome to the mad house club. :donatello:

Although we have a 4.3 which is a different beast altogether i'd recommend the 5 door as our dog takes up whole boot.

Happy hunting.

Webz

Me thinks you and Buster will be a joyous addition to the forum Debs. I am sure that Claire will welcome another regular lady poster, and I wish you luck this weekend with the hunt. Just another thought, the 4.2 RAV's I believe were all permanent 4 wheel drive. Our 2003 is auto and is used in the rougher parts of Spain. It performs faultlessly, and comes highly recommended. :driving:

Thanks guys, looking forward to being a regular poster as i'm sure i'll have lots to ask and i am a bugger for taking photos :D. I've got over 350 in my album just of my current car :laughing:

Not as yet Paul :(. Just trying to get my car sorted and sold first so i would actually have cash to buy with. I just know if i did go looking i'd find a beauty and not be able to get it :(

All this talk of terriers, it has to be a five door, highly recommended by my two travel companions.

Jan2012JPG.jpg

All this talk of terriers, it has to be a five door, highly recommended by my two travel companions.

Jan2012JPG.jpg

They are gorgeous :D

Cute pair of beasties.

Was that "regency" trim an option on your RAV? Like the window blinds. It also seems to be very spacious......

No Jim, it's the SR spec, Sun Room ? :bored: Back on topic.....Defo a 5 door Deb, if only for Buster .