Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Some Tyre Help Please

rogsmith

It seems i need 3 new tyres for my recently bought rav4.Im going to get all four done but would like to know what people recommend.I obviously want good,safe tyres but to be honest this is and expense i hadnt planned for so i need good prices.Please any recommendations and where to perhaps buy them from would be much appreciated.Many thanks

What model is your Rav? If doing 3, do the full 4. I recommend Yokohamas. My recently changed rears went to 43.5k and the fronts 38k. Never missed a beat in all conditions.

As for purchase, your local independent would welcome the business. It is often cheaper at an Indy than buying online and paying for fitting, balancing etc.

Were it my car I would go for the Yokohamas too, have a look at the Geolander SUV GO 55 tyres, if you can get them fitted for around £100 a tyre they will serve you well.

If you are, or know anyone who is a member of Costco, they are doing Michelin Tyres at 20% off until 25th November (and includes Nitrogen filing) .... And their price for these before the discount was actually pretty good already

Thanks all for the replies.All look nice tyres a tad more than i wanted to spend,I realise tyres are very important and its a bit naughty by the person that sold me the car that im having to do this but heyho.

Anway please keep the examples and advise coming im googling like mad at the moment.I found some fitted for £300 £75 per tyre but after looking into them they havnt got a good right up so im not going with those.I may well do two for now and get better quality then another two after Christmas.

Where ever you buy from, ask for the tyre price, then haggle for the discount got a set of four. Don't be afraid to ask as there's usually a bit of flexibility on the price.

Dave

PS I've stuck with the same brand the car came with- Geolandars. Great in snow, last "reasonably" well but were £440 for the set (got a free wheel alignment chucked in though)

Try looking at Black Circles they give a price for tyres fitted locally to you. I've always found them a good starting point for pricing not necessarily buy from them but it gives you a good idea of price to negotiate around. They do General Grabbers in your size for around £97, quite a few people swear by these as a budget tyre. Best of luck in your search.

John

Have you looked at Nexus tyres,Rog, as they have been recommended to me in the past as good value for your buck.I do not do high milage now and have tended to be happy to get to where I am going without flooring the pedal all the time

They are also made by Yokohama I believe

I had them fitted on my last RAV and they were fine.

Del

I will take a look mate.I wont be driving very far either and certainly wont be flooring it so these could well be ok.Thanks mate.

Chaps i did ask this in another thread.My car standard tyres are 235/60 H16.On the car at the moment are 215/70 R16.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is.

And dont say 20/10 its not funny........i really want to know is it noise,grip,comfort or not really anything to matter that much.

crofter you mentioned nexus,i cant seem to find much on them you didnt by any chance mean these did you,

http://www.camskill...._60R16_100H_TL_

If your tyre sizes are as you say you have tyres with a 23% increase in overall diameter. This means you will be travelling faster than the indicated speed on your speedo. If you want to increase the width of your tyres you have to reduce the aspect ratio.

Have a look at this tyre calculator

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

Hello mate,

Thanks for the reply.Im new to owning a 4x4 so does it make much difference what tyres i get.To be honest i have never really taken a great deal of notice before i have just got whats on the car.Its only after typing my reg into tyre places this weekend and it giving me one option but on the car i have the other,this intrigued me so i wondered what the difference is and whats the best.

Im not going to be doing many miles,certainly wont have the chance to be doing very high speeds and it will be mainly road use.

Just as a quick note after lots of searching i think i have found the answer to my question on another thread by bitman.

Chaps i did ask this in another thread.My car standard tyres are 235/60 H16.On the car at the moment are 315/70 R16.

And dont say 20/10 its not funny........i really want to know is it noise,grip,comfort or not really anything to matter that much.

crofter you mentioned nexus,i cant seem to find much on them you didnt by any chance mean these did you,

Is that "315" a typo? Your first post said that you had 215's fitted. If 315 is correct, you've got some seriously wide boots on there which I'd have thought would be causing all sorts of fouling issues. If not then they must have serious off-set which will be causing untold stress to the wheel bearings and stob axles.

Chaps i did ask this in another thread.My car standard tyres are 235/60 H16.On the car at the moment are 315/70 R16.

Is that "315" a typo? Your first post said that you had 215's fitted. If 315 is correct, you've got some seriously wide boots on there which I'd have thought would be causing all sorts of fouling issues. If not then they must have serious off-set which will be causing untold stress to the wheel bearings and stob axles.

Firemac beat me to that question, and "Falken" tyres have been recommended a few imes by our resident 4.1 hombre, Bothy....or was he actually saying in his Lanarkshire accent "must get them Falken tyres changed,,,,?", to which we all reply watch yer language.

Also the tyre WIDTH should not affect speedo readings....only the aspect ratio and diameter, surely.....?

Marsky must be working for a change....

Big Kev

They were deffo Nexus tyres Rog.

I have used a local indie for years and have always had very good service from them.No Bull.

They know what kind of driver I am and said they would suit me down to the ground(pun intended I think)

without breaking the bank.

The owner has said to me he will not sell any tyre he would not fit on his own motor and that he stands by what he sells.

That was good enough for me to fit Nexus all round as stated before,and will do again.

I know this does not help you very much,but me not knowing that much about the black rubber whatsits leave it to folks in the know

Del

We had Nexens on our first Rav,well there was two new ones on the back when we bought it,so i got two more to match on the front.

They seemed ok to me not that i drove it but Mrs P,who takes it easy any way,thought they were good.

I can say though that they were quiet.

I have also seen em fitted to quite a few Ravs we've looked at.

Marsky must be working for a change....

:yes: Normallly I work from home and haven't been in my base office in Edinburgh in months (nearly managed a full year last year). But they've had me working out on-sites for the last few weeks.

Now - what was the question?

Not wishing to upset you Kev :blushing:

The aspect ratio dictates the height of the sidewall so a wider tyre will have a higher sidewall and the overall diameter will increase affecting the speedo.

Hope that makes sense!

The aspect ratio dictates the height of the sidewall so a wider tyre will have a higher sidewall and the overall diameter will increase affecting the speedo.

Hope that makes sense!

But is that not somewhat disproved by such as the Ultra Low Profiles fitted to cars like those classed as "supercars" with very wide tread widths, but ridiculously low (tooth shattering) profiles like 40....??? In other words, the wall height does not automatically increase due to tyre width......have never quite got ma heid round tyre bumph. Anything under 55 profile I consider to be an instant cure for hemma.....haema......hemmy.....PILES....especially on totally underfunded Scottish roads.

Roll on Independence, when Alex Salmond will use all the oil money to fix our roads.....what a complete rectum...!!!!!!

Watch out Dorset if he wins....ah will be flittin'......

Big Kev.

Hope that makes sense!

But is that not somewhat disproved by such as the Ultra Low Profiles fitted to cars like those classed as "supercars" with very wide tread widths, but ridiculously low (tooth shattering) profiles like 40....??? In other words, the wall height does not automatically increase due to tyre width......have never quite got ma heid round tyre bumph. Anything under 55 profile I consider to be an instant cure for hemma.....haema......hemmy.....PILES....especially on totally underfunded Scottish roads.

Roll on Independence, when Alex Salmond will use all the oil money to fix our roads.....what a complete !Removed!...!!!!!!

Watch out Dorset if he wins....ah will be flittin'......

Big Kev.

Hi BK,

I think it is all to do with overall diameter of wheel & tyre combo, i.e. if you reduce the aspect ratio you need to increase the wheel & tyre diameters so that you get back approx to the overall diameter you started with.

Dorset's nice.