Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen2 Recall Announced On Bbc News - Problem With Steering And Water Pu

Dave R.

Just spotted this on the BBC news web site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-20321594

Toyota has said it will recall 2.7 million cars worldwide because of problems with the steering wheel and water pump system.

The recall affects nine models, including the Toyota Corolla and the second-generation Prius.

Joichi Tachikawa, a spokesman for Toyota, told the BBC that the problem with the steering wheel was to do with "insufficient hardness of the steering shaft".

He explained that due to this, the splines which connect the extension shaft to the gearbox may deform if the steering wheel is "frequently and forcefully turned to the full lock position while driving at a very slow speed".

"This may create an increased backlash and the splines may eventually wear out over time, which could result in loss of steering ability," he added.

However, Mr Tachikawa said that no accidents due to this fault had been reported so far.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Parts-King

• Ancient Nerd

• stompe

• timberwolf

Doesn't sound that urgent, but I guess they can't take chances.

Pity that I've only just had my annual service done as it means another trip into the dealers.

I believe recall letters are being sent out over the next couple of months.

More info from toyota's site:

Recall Information

Statement on Toyota recall of Avensis, Corolla, Prius Recall

Toyota places the highest priority on customer safety and the quality of our vehicles. We are constantly monitoring our cars’ performance through a variety of sources. From time to time, we become aware of a situation where a certain component or aspect of the vehicle does not meet our strict standards.

On Wednesday November 14th, Toyota GB registered a recall on Avensis, Corolla and 2nd generation Prius models with the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA). The recall affects approximately 75,000 vehicles in the UK and will be carried out in accordance with the VOSA Code of Practice.

What is the condition?

On certain of the above models equipped with Electric Motor assisted Power Steering [EMPS] there might be a possibility that due to insufficient hardness of the extension shaft material the splines, which connects the extension shaft to the steering gear box, may deform if the steering wheel is frequently and forcefully turned to the full-lock position while driving at slow speed. This may create an increased backlash, and splines may eventually wear out over time.

There have been nine reported cases of this issue in Europe and no reports of any associated accidents.

Also on 2nd generation Prius there is an electrically driven water pump assembly which circulates coolant through the hybrid components, including the inverter assembly, to provide cooling. There is a possibility that the coil wire of the electric motor installed in the water pump may have been scratched during the coiling manufacturing process at the supplier. In this condition, the coil wire may corrode at the scratched portion and in some cases break. If this occurs the water pump could stop, leading to illumination of various warning lights in the instrument panel. In limited instances, a short circuit occurs between adjacent coil wires, resulting in a blown fuse for the electric power supply circuit, causing the hybrid system to stop.

There have been three reported cases in Europe. There are no reported accidents related to this issue.

What will be done?

Customer satisfaction is of paramount importance to Toyota. Consequently, Toyota has decided to conduct recall activity to replace the hybrid system water pump and check steering shaft performance on the affected cars.

In full compliance with VOSA requirements, Toyota GB will contact the owners of all affected vehicles within the next six weeks, asking them to make an appointment to bring their car to their nearest Toyota dealer. It is possible that some Prius will require attention for both issues.

According to model, the dealer will replace the hybrid system water pump and/or inspect the steering shaft. If the steering shaft does not meet Toyota inspection criteria, it will be repaired. The water pump replacement should take no more than an hour-and-a-half. If required, the steering shaft repair should be completed in an hour. This work will be carried out free of charge.

Toyota's website confirmed this morning mine needs doing, but the dealer said they weren't doing anything until I'd had a letter. Can't be that vital then. I shall watch the letterbox avidly.

I wonder whether the coolant pumps they fitted as part of last years recall are affected?

I wonder whether the coolant pumps they fitted as part of last years recall are affected?

Not as far as I'm aware

Kingo :thumbsup:

recall is definitely better than ignoring the problem and let the customer foot the bill and bear the consequences like VW and their injector problems. to me it doesn't tarnish the reputation of Toyota, if anything, i like them even more for owning up to their mistakes. more recalls don't mean the manufacturer has more problems than others. i'll wait patiently for the letter.

And if they change the water pump, don't they need to change the coolant; so that's one less thing to pay for during servicing too! :-)

recall is definitely better than ignoring the problem and let the customer foot the bill and bear the consequences like VW and their injector problems. to me it doesn't tarnish the reputation of Toyota, if anything, i like them even more for owning up to their mistakes. more recalls don't mean the manufacturer has more problems than others. i'll wait patiently for the letter.

At least Toyota has learned something after the mess they made when they totally denied the Prius brake issue. They did nothing until the adverse publicity got to the point where they could ignore it no longer.

As far as I am concerned Toyota has tarnished its reputation with their Weasel Warranty. and their reaction to it. This is a company that no longer cares about its customers and deserves all the adverse publicity it gets.

<p>

well done to Toyota for put its customers first .

That really would be a first, at least in recent years.

At least Toyota has learned something after the mess they made when they totally denied the Prius brake issue. They did nothing until the adverse publicity got to the point where they could ignore it no longer.

As far as I am concerned Toyota has tarnished its reputation with their Weasel Warranty. and their reaction to it. This is a company that no longer cares about its customers and deserves all the adverse publicity it gets.

:yawn:

As far I understand, this recall isn't a Warranty issue i.e. it won't matter if you have any Warranty left or not.

Got email from TOC yesterday, Checked on Toyota UK website if recall applies to my Gen2 by inputting my registration plate and it apparently does. Went to my Toyota dealer this morning to check with them regarding recall against my registration plate but surprise, no recall logged on their system. I am now a confused bunny. I guess I will just have to wait for the letter (if any).

Anyone else had this experience ? or anyone know why dealers system comes up with different result than Toyota UK website.

Cheers

Ed

Those of us that bought the first shipment of 3rd Generation Pri got done out of a 5 year warranty, We only got 3 :mad2:

Those of us that bought the first shipment of 3rd Generation Pri got done out of a 5 year warranty, We only got 3 :mad2:

Toyota GB set the initial price of the Gen 3 at the same price as the outgoing Gen 2. Things obviously had to be cut to achieve that price, because elsewhere in the world the Gen 3 was costing more to purchase than the previous generation. The reduction in the Hybrid Warranty was discussed months before the Gen 3 went on sale, including that some of us predicted the Gen 3 would depreciate faster than the last Gen 2 cars.

Oh for goodness sake stop going on about the 'weasel warranty'....

You bought the car, presumably fully aware of the terms and conditions, I assume you were happy with those conditions, including the 3 year warranty, which I believe at the time was standard across the whole Toyota range, otherwise you would not have accepted the deal.

Crying and spilt milk come to mind.

I seem to recall you were moaning about this when I was on the site a year ago and it was partly the constant carping that caused me to disappear for a while. AFAIK Ford still offers a ONE year warranty unless you pay extra, and if it's really serious you will get a recall as per the current one for older Prius than yours.

We KNOW you feel hard done by, please don't keep on about it. Life is too short and there are other more important matters to discuss.

Hopefully I've not upset you too much by saying the above, but I feel it it really needed to be said

Surely when you bought the early gen 3 Prius, you knew that the warranty on offer was 3 years? Then the 5 year warranty was introduced a (short?) while after you had your car. So if you were happy with the length of warranty on offer when you ordered the car, you can't really complain when they change it later. :ermm:

Is that not a bit like ordering a car, then complaining that they've put on a special offer (like free fuel or 0%) a short while after your car has arrived?

I don't think it can be compared with a special offer.

Until the introduction of the Gen III there was an established level of warranty.

When the Gen III was introduced that level of warranty was reduced.

Some six months later, the earlier level of warranty was restored, but not for those who bought during the six month period. I believe they are the ones who feel that they have been cheated.

Please don't tell me that I have got the niceties wrong. I have deliberately simplified the situation to make the point.

Yes there was lots of us Aggrieved, Coupled in with the Poor Customer relations we received over trying to be charged for an out of date sat nav system. If it was not for us complaining to ToyotaGB you would not now be having your 5 year warranty that you enjoy now, perhaps that is why Grumpy Cabbie has gone because it seems we are not allowed to have our say as per above, bearing in mind that we are contributors to this site and everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you think about it Grumpy was a great contributor to this site and has probably contributed to the latest recall as he had steering problems well before the recall. So don't knock us for our opinions because it is the people that buy after us that benefit from our feedback. Co-incidentally Toyota slipped down the JD Power survey which I think is a good barometer of customer satisfaction.

, perhaps that is why Grumpy Cabbie has gone because it seems we are not allowed to have our say as per above, bearing in mind that we are contributors to this site and everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you think about it Grumpy was a great contributor to this site and has probably contributed to the latest recall as he had steering problems well before the recall.

I miss GCs input. I guess that a different type of motive power has been adopted in order to attain improved financial efficiency. There are quite a lot of tax class A vehicles on the list these days and some of them probably meet requirements more easily.

Yes there was lots of us Aggrieved, Coupled in with the Poor Customer relations we received over trying to be charged for an out of date sat nav system. If it was not for us complaining to ToyotaGB you would not now be having your 5 year warranty that you enjoy now, perhaps that is why Grumpy Cabbie has gone because it seems we are not allowed to have our say as per above, bearing in mind that we are contributors to this site and everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you think about it Grumpy was a great contributor to this site and has probably contributed to the latest recall as he had steering problems well before the recall. So don't knock us for our opinions because it is the people that buy after us that benefit from our feedback. Co-incidentally Toyota slipped down the JD Power survey which I think is a good barometer of customer satisfaction.

Grumpy drives a Prius 3 which is not recalled only Prius 2 has been called back for steering issues

Toyota finished joint 10th in 2011 @ 80.5% and in 2012 they finished 3rd @ 82.4% bettered only by Lexus & Jaguar two premium brands ( uk results for what car ) hardly a slip down ?

Grumpy drives a Prius 3 which is not recalled only Prius 2 has been called back for steering issues

Toyota finished joint 10th in 2011 @ 80.5% and in 2012 they finished 3rd @ 82.4% bettered only by Lexus & Jaguar two premium brands ( uk results for what car ) hardly a slip down ?

Not too late! lol think he has had 2 new racks on his Gen 3 T4

Not too late! lol think he has had 2 new racks on his Gen 3 T4

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/jd-power-survey-2011/the-results/257096