Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gen2 Recall Announced On Bbc News - Problem With Steering And Water Pu

Dave R.

The DVLA gets it's information from errr.........the DVLA. The information is the info used on the registration document, not some info supplied by Toyota. Toyota do not have sufficiently up to date information to use their database. When Toyota announce a recall, they tell VOSA, the recall is then official and VOSA request the information from the DVLA on Toyota's behalf. Toyota then feed this info a database on their website and cross reference the chassis number affected with chassis numbers on the database. Now I have no idea how often this is updated, but when you think about it, there must be thousands of cars changing hands each month, add to this personal registration numbers being bought / sold and swapped, you can easily see why a registration number look up can get out of date quickly. There should be no confusion with a chassis number look up, unless the range of vehicles affected has been extended / shortened. Blame weasels for that :thumbsup:

Unless there is something strange about the lookup between Registration Number and chassis number, then there has been serious confusion about which chassis are affected by the recall. This is Toyota, as only Toyota can provide the link between chassis number and affected vehicles. not VOSA or DVLA.

I blame weasels in the woodpile.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Parts-King

• Ancient Nerd

• Sooty

• stompe

This is Toyota, not VOSA or DVLA.

You are wrong, but I accept you don't really know about these things, only weasels ;)

You're right, the VIN ranges are there on the VOSA site now. Must have gone up very recently.

• 4 weeks later...

Got my recall letter just now.

It says that my car is "within the affected vehicle range"

They are currently scheduling a program and say not to take any further action until I hear further from them.

This may take several months.

Let's hope this falls when my car is due it's MOT and 50K service. Then all "will" be done together. YEAH RIGHT.

Just got my VOSA recall too, so again hopefully can leave until service towards end of year.

Hi Just got a recall for a car that was written off in 2007 so therefore I haven't owned it since then.Keep their records up to date don't they!

Also got the letter today but when I was booking car in for service a few weeks ago, dealers system identified the car as requiring recall, so the service and steering/waterpump all being done when its in for its service tomorrow, unless things change by time I arrive.

Hi Just got a recall for a car that was written off in 2007 so therefore I haven't owned it since then.Keep their records up to date don't they!

As I keep saying, recall info comes from the DVLA, so something has got a bit screwed up somewhere. Probably not cross matched to a write off database

Kingo :thumbsup:

There has been a few reported Auris on these foruns with clicking steering at low speed cornering and some have had steering parts replaced under warranty.Ive had it now and again but not for some while now.

But the Auris is not included in these recalls.

As mine is out of warranty i dont know how i stand should it get worse.

Have considered them checking it out but woud hve to pay for their time.And tings are a bit tight now money wise.

Maybe if i removed both lower dash panels myself so they could inspect the steering components without actualy doing nothing more than examing the lower column where i think te problem is.

<p>

As I keep saying, recall info comes from the DVLA, so something has got a bit screwed up somewhere. Probably not cross matched to a write off database

There is no question that registation related data comes from DVLA.

However, details of which cars are subject to recalls must come from the manufacturer. DVLA are merely providing a repository for that information and a means of accessing it, including links from the car identifier ( the VIN) to the rather more meaningful registration number.

If you can tell me how DVLA are providing Toyota and others with details of which cars are subject to recall, without that information being provided by Toyota in the first place, then I will happily apologise

BTW my experience of weasels is pretty much limited to Toyota GB. My knowledge of IT systems is somewhat more extensive. The clue is in the name.

SWMBO got her steering recall letter today, with joint VOSA and Toyota letterhead, for her 2006 T4, it says dealer will be in touch. She had the water pump recall done about 18 months ago.

Off topic I know but, regarding the Gen 3 weasel warranty, I bought my gen 3 in May 2010, about a month before the standard warranty went up to 5 years. At the time of purchase my dealer was offering 5 years warranty or 3 years warranty & 3 years free servicing deal on new cars and knowing how reliable Toyotas are, I was quite happy to accept the latter.

Ford was mentioned above, they actually were offering 3 years warranties as well, 1 year manufacturer and 2 further years dealer warranty at no extra cost.

If you can tell me how DVLA are providing Toyota and others with details of which cars are subject to recall, without that information being provided by Toyota in the first place, then I will happily apologise

OK, let me explain

You buy a NEW car from the dealer, the dealer registers the new car on the AFRL system, this info is sent to DVLA AND Toyota as part of the first registration process, so yes, Toyota have your details. You then decide after 6 months that you cannot live with the weasel warranty, and you sell the car to your neighbour. Your neighbour fills in the registration document to change owners, sends it off to the DVLA and gets a new V5 in his name. DVLA do NOT inform Toyota that your neighbour has bought the car, at this point in time, Toyota still think you own it. lets move this on 5 years, how many times could cars have been sold across the land time and time again? Tens of thousands of cars exist on the road where the manufacturer does NOT know who owns them, but DVLA DO, that is why the info is supplied by the DVLA as it is the most accurate up to date data on record. When a recall is announced, Toyota inform the DVLA of the chassis number range affected, and the DVLA provide the owner details for those chassis number ranges

In your world AN, Toyota would write to the first owner (or the person they have on record) who then sends a letter back (if they are lucky) to say he no longer owns it. Imagine that? It would take huge amounts of time and resources to find the end user of a car sold several times

So in short, it all hinges on the DVLA supplying the data, Toyota only tell the DVLA what cars are affected, the DVLA tell Toyota who currently owns the car

Toyota only tell the DVLA what cars are affected.

Exactly.

One day the car is affected.

The next day it isn't.

Third day it is affected again.

In what way is this not dependant on Toyota? It is car related, not registration related.

The DVLA part has worked reliably. I am no longer the owner, although the car is still in the family.

Well the batch of affected vehicles will come in the form of a database range. If that data changes for whatever reason then so will the lookup facility. It should'nt but there you go, something was altered/changed/missing. Perhaps the range of vehicles affected was re-defined by Japan, I suspect we will never know

You've been going on about something of no material importance since November.

Give it a rest. Go have a beer.

Well the batch of affected vehicles will come in the form of a database range. If that data changes for whatever reason then so will the lookup facility. It should'nt but there you go, something was altered/changed/missing. Perhaps the range of vehicles affected was re-defined by Japan, I suspect we will never know

Thankyou

i got my recall letter also. i wonder when it will be called in to get it fixed. if anything, it's made me more anxious to get this done in case something bad happens. i previously checked the website and it stated my car was not affected. strange.

My car went in for its service and recall yesterday. The pump was done but they didn't have the shaft in stock so its to back in next week for the steering shaft as it does require replaced. I had hoped to have it all done at once.

My understanding of the steering recall is basically that between 2003 and 2009 Toyota used two manufacturers for the intermediate steering shaft and only one manufacturers shaft has the issue which is a lack of hardness to the splines. Even if your Prius shaft is showing no signs of wear in the splines it will be replaced if the shaft fitted is supplied by the affected manufacturer. The other manufacturers part is not affected. It may have taken Toyota a bit of time to identify which manufacturers shaft went into which Prius during production.

• 4 months later...

I finally had my recall done in April this year.

I rang the dealer to book a MOT and was informed of the recall.

I dropped the car off first thing, got lent a courtesy car and was rang back at about 3:30pm.

All had been done, car passed the MOT and they even washed it for me.

Great service all in all.

Though I have noticed that the steering wheel now sits at a very slight turn to the right when using a road with a steep camber. This was not noticed before the recall work.

Before anyone replies saying the camber will affect the steering, I know. I am just saying that I have noticed it more since the work was done.

I am still happy though:) :flowers:

I haven't had mine done yet, and I got a follow up letter in April. I kinda wished I hadn't read your post now, and I least hoped that UK dealers were a little more professional at doing the work correctly but apparently not.

Er, the offset in the steering is likely because your dealer did not perform the repair correctly! Although I guess maybe you feel lucky because they did not do the job as badly as some in the following thread!?

http://priuschat.com/threads/steering-recall-performed-then-33-mpg-instead-of-high-40s.120856/

For info this is the steering part they would have replaced.

http://lusciousgarage.com/blog/prius_steering_intermediate_shaft_recall_c0t_-_details_for_owners/

Thanks Timberwolf.

I think I may have a little word in the dealer's shell-like and see what they say.

I had a double check of the steering wheel and it was not even 1 spline out of alignment

I then double checked the tyre pressures and found that the LHF was about 1psi lower than the right.

I corrected this and now the wheel is dead centre.

Well happy with the work done.

Tee hee, that's a bit embarrassing.

I wouldn't have suspected a 1 psi difference would be noticable? My car was a little unsettled on one particular road this w/e, it often happens at that location, flashed one of the amber warnings for longer than usual though. I put it down to having pumped up the tyres, possibly a psi higher than I usually add, that road surface, damp road, etc. It's a good job that I haven't had the steering repaired...! :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links