Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gen2 Recall Announced On Bbc News - Problem With Steering And Water Pu

Dave R.

Yes there was lots of us Aggrieved, Coupled in with the Poor Customer relations we received over trying to be charged for an out of date sat nav system. If it was not for us complaining to ToyotaGB you would not now be having your 5 year warranty that you enjoy now, perhaps that is why Grumpy Cabbie has gone because it seems we are not allowed to have our say as per above, bearing in mind that we are contributors to this site and everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you think about it Grumpy was a great contributor to this site and has probably contributed to the latest recall as he had steering problems well before the recall. So don't knock us for our opinions because it is the people that buy after us that benefit from our feedback. Co-incidentally Toyota slipped down the JD Power survey which I think is a good barometer of customer satisfaction.

Grumpy drives a Prius 3 which is not recalled only Prius 2 has been called back for steering issues

Toyota finished joint 10th in 2011 @ 80.5% and in 2012 they finished 3rd @ 82.4% bettered only by Lexus & Jaguar two premium brands ( uk results for what car ) hardly a slip down ?

Not too late! lol think he has had 2 new racks on his Gen 3 T4

http://www.whatcar.c...-results/257096

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/jd-power-dealer-satisfaction-survey-2012/263727

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Parts-King

• Ancient Nerd

• Sooty

• timberwolf

Mr GC has (had?) a T3 (same as mine) not a T4. According to his dealer, the T4 and Tspirit have a different steering setup (maybe because of the 17 inch wheels?).

The big problem with the early gen3 warranty being 3 years and not 5 is the effect on resale value.

The first batch of gen3 are coming out of warranty but a gen3 that is only 6 months younger has got another 2.5 years left. Which would you choose?

Mr GC has (had?) a T3 (same as mine) not a T4. According to his dealer, the T4 and Tspirit have a different steering setup (maybe because of the 17 inch wheels?).

The big problem with the early gen3 warranty being 3 years and not 5 is the effect on resale value.

The first batch of gen3 are coming out of warranty but a gen3 that is only 6 months younger has got another 2.5 years left. Which would you choose?

Neither, I'd choose a 2009 Gen 2, it has an 8 year Warranty and it covers more Hybrid components than the Gen 3 Warranty.

Interestingly I put my Gen 2, 2008 Prius T3 number plate into the system and it said it was unaffected??? Strange?

Our 07 plate gen 2 doesnt seem to be affected either, I checked the website , entered the number plate and hey presto, no recall. We have a T spirit... maybe this is why?

Put my 08 T Spirit reg in and guess what?

IT IS affected. Just waiting for the letter to come through.

Further to my previous post, I decided to enter my reg number (08Reg T4) again this lunchtime into the Toyota UK website Recall Checker. Hey presto. Instead of indicating that I will be getting a reacall letter as last time, it now comes up with:

"We are pleased to confirm that your Toyota is not affected by any voluntary customer service campaigns or outstanding safety recalls and no further action is required."

Maybe they have had more time to find the actual vehicles affected.

Ed

Mine's not affected by the steering issues and I had my water pump recall done last year. All up to date on mine I'm pleased to say...

Further to my previous post, I decided to enter my reg number (08Reg T4) again this lunchtime into the Toyota UK website Recall Checker. Hey presto. Instead of indicating that I will be getting a reacall letter as last time, it now comes up with:

"We are pleased to confirm that your Toyota is not affected by any voluntary customer service campaigns or outstanding safety recalls and no further action is required."

Maybe they have had more time to find the actual vehicles affected.

Ed

Check the full wording:

We are pleased to confirm that your Toyota is not affected by any voluntary customer service campaigns or outstanding safety recalls and no further action is required.

This can be rectified at no cost, by contacting us on to arrange a time at your convenience.

So, if you haven't got a problem, Toyota will make sure that you get one.!

I am more inclided to think that they don't have a clue about what is going on

Having not yet received my letter, I entered the reg again at Toyota's website today, and it confirmed that mine needs to be done. The website still says to call your dealer to arrange this work.

So I spoke to Toyota UK, who said that is incorrect, no point in talking to the dealers yet, and indeed we do have to wait for the letters. However, they themselves are awaiting the parts from Europe before letters go out - expected in the next "two to four weeks". So will be past Christmas I would think. I suggested they might like to modify the wording on their website.

No worries, as long as it's all proceeding...

Our 2006 (56) T3 is affected, though we had the coolant pump done previously.

I don't think the T-Spirit is exempt - my 07 needs doing.

Haven't had a letter yet but feel better knowing I am not alone. With a bit of luck Santa will bring the parts and I can this done in one go together with service and MOT around New Year.

This is crazy. I suspect all Gen 2 (whatever model) are made on the same line/factory. How can some be affected and others not when they all use the same pump and steering shaft.

Maybe, when the parts arrive, the letters will go out and we shall all be recalled.

Toyota have a list of affected chassis number ranges, it might be that your particular car may be outside these ranges.

If you car is inside the range, you will get a letter, the letters will be phased over a short period of time

Kingo :thumbsup:

As I suspected....the plot thickens. On 2 Dec my Gen2 T3 was not affected. Today 4 Dec it is!

Due for a service soon so I'll hopefully get it all done in one go.

I suspect that there is a time/stagger factor here, so dealers are not overwhelmed. All most odd on a safety issue. My advise to Toyota is to play it straight. Have they not learnt anything from the past.

Well, I've checked my old Gen II as it is still in the family. And following an earlier post, I checked it again. Then a third time. All over the course of a week or two.

The results:

1. Recall applies

2. Recall not required

3. Recall applies

At least this time Toyota owned up to the problem, unlike the Gen III brake recall fiasco. Or did they?

As I suspected....the plot thickens. On 2 Dec my Gen2 T3 was not affected. Today 4 Dec it is!

Due for a service soon so I'll hopefully get it all done in one go.

I suspect that there is a time/stagger factor here, so dealers are not overwhelmed. All most odd on a safety issue. My advise to Toyota is to play it straight. Have they not learnt anything from the past.

Toyota now operate a completely open policy, in fact, recalls are anounced often before they are in a position to supply parts!

You have to understand that Toyota hold limited information as to who owns a Toyota. The true full information on who owns the car due for a recall is supplied to Toyota by the DVLA and there is always a short delay while this information is collected

The has to be a time factor to stagger a recall. If every customer requiring a recall got their letter on the same day, then it would chaos trying to book your car in, and parts would go out of stock within days, as the delivery of parts is also staggered to maintain a good supply and to ensure every customer gets the work completed with the minimum of fuss. The recalls in play at the moment do not require immediate attention, but they will be completed over the next couple of months which is the norm, it is also monitored by VOSA to ensure that every vehicle possible is repaired. This may involve several mailings to the 5% of customers that never respond to a recall for one reason or another

All I would say is sit tight, you will get a letter if you require the recall. The information on the website may change from time to time as information from the DVLA is updated

I fully agree, and have no problem staggering a recall, it makes sence. But why set up a web checking system that says....recall not needed...recall needed...recall not needed?

I fully agree, and have no problem staggering a recall, it makes sence. But why set up a web checking system that says....recall not needed...recall needed...recall not needed?

The lookup facility will only be as good as the information supplied by the DVLA, I don't know how often it is updated, not often I would suspect, but you're right, it should be one message, not mixed

The lookup facility will only be as good as the information supplied by the DVLA, I don't know how often it is updated, not often I would suspect, but you're right, it should be one message, not mixed

This has nothing to do with DVLA.

In my case, the Recall required, Recall not required, Recall required... information all came after the car was correctly identified.

From that point, the information is completely down to Toyota, who once again appear to be in a total shambles.

The information comes from the DVLA end of

Obviously the weasel warranty has affected the information being given out ;)

The information comes from the DVLA end of

So where does the DVLA get its information from? Ford?

Obviously the weasel warranty has affected the information being given out

No, the weasel warranty was just Toyota's way of showing how much it cares for its customers. Nothing to do with the recall. Unless you know something different !

Or did you mean it is the same weasels that are responsible for this situation?

The DVLA gets it's information from errr.........the DVLA. The information is the info used on the registration document, not some info supplied by Toyota. Toyota do not have sufficiently up to date information to use their database. When Toyota announce a recall, they tell VOSA, the recall is then official and VOSA request the information from the DVLA on Toyota's behalf. Toyota then feed this info a database on their website and cross reference the chassis number affected with chassis numbers on the database. Now I have no idea how often this is updated, but when you think about it, there must be thousands of cars changing hands each month, add to this personal registration numbers being bought / sold and swapped, you can easily see why a registration number look up can get out of date quickly. There should be no confusion with a chassis number look up, unless the range of vehicles affected has been extended / shortened. Blame weasels for that :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links