Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis

smokinmyman

I believe that you can obtain engine fault codes from the 7a-Fe engine by shorting two wires in a connector block somewhere and reading the number of flashes of the engine error light on dashboard.

Can anyone tell me where this block is and where can i find a list of the fault code definitions and any other info that will help to use this diagnosis system. I read somwhere that the Toyota onboard diagnostic system is one of the most user friendly out there . I hope they are right!!

The diagnostic terminal will be under the bonnet/hood. Its a rectangular box about 50mm x 30 mm. If you follow these links it should tell you all you need to know. http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/codes/ http://www.troublecodes.net/Toyota/ By the way its not always 100% reliable. I tried a check on my MR2 recently after it failed an emissions test. It showed no faults stored, however when a garage plugged in a proper diagnostic reader it showed error 21 (O2 sensor). This should have shown up but for some reason didn't. The sensor was replaced and the car now passes emissions.

Hi Kelvyn thanks for the links, I have been everywhere under the bonnet and i don't think on the Avensis model 1998 there actually is s a diagnostic connector there. I have feeling that it might have been replaced by a connector that i found behind the fuses inside the car. Have you actually seen this connector on an Avensis? Can anyone confirm for sure?

There is a white connector behind the fusebox to the right of the steering column, like a squashed out D on its side, the pins don't seemt to correspond to anything i can relate to off the net

You need to take it to a main dealer for that. they will use a intelligent tester. only on the diagnostic block under the engine can you short out two pins to pull out the codes

Cheers for the info on that

I have been looking at places like the tooledup.com website where you can buy plug in testors, but they only seem to go up to the last carina's, does anyone know of a tester that the DIYer can buy to diagnose an avensis