Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bsr Removal - Nottinghamshire

erniebishop

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any experience / recommendations for BSR removal in the Mansfield / Nottingham area?

I have a T180 and want to go with winter tyres this year.

Cheers

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any experience / recommendations for BSR removal in the Mansfield / Nottingham area?

I have a T180 and want to go with winter tyres this year.

Cheers

Good luck in your quest, Ernie, but does this mean you will be re-instating the runflat rings and tyres come next spring....? Are you aware what Mr.T. or an indie would charge you to do so (i.e. revert) and the risk of damage to the Runflat Ring by semi-trained personnel....? Hill St. Blues, mate.....let's be careful out there......

I mean no disrespect by reference to "semi-trained"......not a lot of folk get a chance to learn properly on these "special machines", probably due to so many of us binning this system.....am currently in touch with yet another fellow member doing so this weekend.

Big Kev

Thanks Kev.

Re-installing is an option I’ve considered but only when I come to sell, if no BSR hurts the trade in, “Is it standard, sir”? That sort of thing. I don’t know the costs yet either. I’m visiting Mr T to have the suspension recall work done on Friday when I will be bending his ear.

My preferred option would be Mr T to do it and fit some winter tyres at the same time but I don’t yet know if he’ll be willing to do this. I’ve already been told over the phone I have no winter tyre option, that didn’t go down well.

I managed quite well last year on fairly new Bridgestones but I’m down to 4mm on the fronts and I reckon it’s going to be a bad winter this year.

What is our fellow member doing? Is he going the indie route or is Mr T doing it. And have you any personal experience?

Cheers,

Thanks Kev.

Re-installing is an option I’ve considered but only when I come to sell, if no BSR hurts the trade in, “Is it standard, sir”? That sort of thing. I don’t know the costs yet either. I’m visiting Mr T to have the suspension recall work done on Friday when I will be bending his ear.

My preferred option would be Mr T to do it and fit some winter tyres at the same time but I don’t yet know if he’ll be willing to do this. I’ve already been told over the phone I have no winter tyre option, that didn’t go down well.

I managed quite well last year on fairly new Bridgestones but I’m down to 4mm on the fronts and I reckon it’s going to be a bad winter this year.

What is our fellow member doing? Is he going the indie route or is Mr T doing it. And have you any personal experience?

Cheers,

Got normal tyres via Mr.T, Ernie, and actually got a decent deal in doing so. Then a month ago I traded it in (SR180) to a Toyota dealer in That England, who could not have given a monkey's that the Flunrats were off.....and resold it in days thereafter.

Chap I am speaking to has an indie cutting his off (ooyah...!!!) at the weekend at £40.00 a corner to fit normal tyres to his T180. (Irishman by name of Richard O'Turpin at those prices to remove.....?)

I do not wish to give you a preconception of the better ride comfort and quietness you will get with the Runflats removed (but guess I just did....) and bet you will go back to them reluctantly if you do. Remember you can keep your TPMS system working if you so chose, or do a search on "cut the pink wire" hereon. DO NOT REFIT RUNFLAT LOGO TYRES without the Runflat ring.....it has insurance implications as per Charlie Farlie's long post, which I would link you to, but will leave that to Davrav to do (then send me instructions on HOW, again.....)

Big Kev

Thanks Kev,

I’ve so far had one indie response saying he couldn’t do it. I’m happy there’s a Mr T route, though, and I’ll sound him out tomorrow.

To be honest I hadn’t thought about ride comfort or quietness, but my misses is always complaining about a bumpy ride …. steady. But she does have a point.

Hopefully I’ll get a choice of tyre, some good winter fun and brownie points for improving the ride. I’ll have a word with Direct Line too when I know what I’m doing.

Thanks for you time again.

Just been talking to my local indie and his opinion was to look on eBay for a set of wheels and fit winter tyres to them as then you could go back to "standard" if you want to later or you may find someone who has the wheels/tyres for sale

Del

Some good information here guys, thanks for your time. I'll keep my eye one eBay but might shy away from that option. I couldnt be doing with a constant warning light on the dash so if I'm in that situation its cut the pink wire, or put a switch in line.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Mr T has to say tomorrow and I can almost smell lovely conti cross contacts :D

Just been talking to my local indie and his opinion was to look on EBay for a set of wheels and fit winter tyres to them as then you could go back to "standard" if you want to later or you may find someone who has the wheels/tyres for sale

Del

Good suggestment there, Del min.....but will need to put up with TPMS light flashing / on whilst winter tyres are fitted unless temporarily disabled.......and now I have read his reply, please ignore mine ol' mucker.

Some good information here guys, thanks for your time. I'll keep my eye one ebay but might shy away from that option. I couldnt be doing with a constant warning light on the dash so if I'm in that situation its cut the pink wire, or put a switch in line.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Mr T has to say tomorrow and I can almost smell lovely conti cross contacts :D

Conti Cross Contacts......music to my wheels....would love a set. When mounting these traffic calming bumps common to everywhere, watch how they smooth out when BSR removed from yer wheels.....

Conti Cross Contacts......music to my wheels....would love a set. When mounting these traffic calming bumps common to everywhere, watch how they smooth out when BSR removed from yer wheels.....

I've got those Conti Cross Contacts on my Winter Wheels ... They are a little noiser then then the original fitting Bridgestones but worked well (not that they had much to deal with last winter, but this coming one I think will be a different matter ! )

I've got those Conti Cross Contacts on my Winter Wheels ... They are a little noiser then then the original fitting Bridgestones but worked well (not that they had much to deal with last winter, but this coming one I think will be a different matter ! )

That's interesting, David, as a number of comparative tyre tests that I've read have rated the Contis as quietest, hence they were top of my list for next tyre change. However, your experience just shows that you can't believe everything that you read.

As a matter of interest, tyres do get noisier as they start to get near their wear limit, can you say whether the Contis were noisier than the BS's when the Duelers were new or could it be that the new Contis were understandably quieter than the worn BS's? Sorry if that seems anal but I tend to do quite high miles very quickly so I can wear tyres out fairly rapidly.

I'll check the wear between the two, but I *think* the two are pretty comparable in tread usage at the moment (though my comment was based on Conti use last winter when the bridgestones had 8k less use. The Contis seemed to have a slightly 'rumbly' ride in comparison but didn't really concern me)

The RAV has done a total of 19k between the two sets of tyres, so neither set should be close to wear limit, mind.

Contis and winter wheels were used when I got them but looked like they had very little use. Marsky can possibly give you his opinion on them (as they used to be on his RAV originally).

Bridgestones had 9k on them when I got the RAV, so can't really give any ' from new' comparisions :(. But I really am a Conti fan and of the three vehicles in the driveway right now, all three are on some variety of Continental Tyres :D

Marsky can possibly give you his opinion on them (as they used to be on his RAV originally).

Ah, my Contis. They must be on the Catania alloys too? As far as I recall I did less than a thousand miles on them and then sold my RAV.

I took them off and put the OEM wheels back on so that the TPMS light was off when the buyer came round. And I suspect the buyer from Beith never even used the winter set?

I liked the Contis as they are proper winter tyre but Continental claimed they could be run through the summer too (but then you would be wearing them down and have less tread for winter). Can't complain about them - played up and downhill on sheet ice without any problems. Normal road noise was better than the Bridgestones.

I have Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtremes on my Discovery. They don't appear in the top tier of the tyre awards, but they are the winter tyre that the majority of users on the Discovery forums recommend, and they are relatively cheap. They are too new and its too early to tell how they will run. But others run them through summer and there are many claims of over 30k miles on them. Nice ride though and I would say quieter than the OEM Pirelli Scorpions. But it's only after a few thousand miles that you find out what tyres are really like.

One reason I bought the Wintracs was because they are pretty much available throughout the year. I have had Michelin Alpin winter tyres bought in November, gouged the sidewall in early January and not been able to find a replacement. I even phoned Michelin to be told they stopped production at New Year and wouldn't be making them again until late September. Something to bear in mind - and so I had my spare wheel fitted with a spare Wintrac yesterday. Might be worth just getting a spare tyre and sticking it in the garage just in case.

Also have had Dunlop 4Ds on my rear-wheel-drive BMW estate and they were fantastic. Hill starts on snow and emergency stops downhill on ice, and no problems whatsoever. Probably my favourite of them all, but can be expensive.