Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Internal 12V Power.

rav4barbarian

I'm wanting to fix a triple 'car cigar lighter' socket in my Rav4 (2003) so that it is permanently 'live'

(I need equipment I use, to be still active when the ignition key is removed.) T

The inbuilt sockets already fitted only work when the key is turned to radio/accessories slot.

I had this 'permanent live' set up in my previous vehicle, connecting a live feed from the fuse box (with snap-cap) but the fuse box situated inside my Rav4 is - not the most accessible.

Any ideas where I could draw power from elsewhere inside the vehicle ?

(btw : the triple socket is fitted with its own in-line fuse )

Any advice welcomed.

Regards Jeff.

My towbar electrics were fitted by the dealer I bought the car (a 4.3 XT-R) from and pin 9 on the 13 pin socket is permanent live, as far as I can see no additional wires have been run through the car. As this pin carries a fairly high current to the caravan the feed wire in the cars loom should suit your purpose. I think the wiring loom for this runs to the rear nearside corner of the car. Hopefully one of the electrical gurus will be able to confirm the RAV's wiring layout.

Sir!

There are international safety regulations, that cannot be overridden. These regulations may get stricter to date. Reason why latest vehicle models may have not so called "live" power, could be justified as: unattended power, been drawn from Battery source could be considered as potential fire hazard. Therefore, if you alter your electrical wiring, eventually you will breach insurance policy in possible unrelated accident. I'm electric/electronics engineer and absolutely agree to these strict regulations. Truly I don't recommend you any changes to existing electrical wiring Sir. Thank you.

I would think unattended starting and sump warmers are far more worrying but are allowed, have a word with an auto electrician I am sure they would help you out for a small charge and keep you legal.

Gus

Sir!

There are international safety regulations, that cannot be overridden. These regulations may get stricter to date. Reason why latest vehicle models may have not so called "live" power, could be justified as: unattended power, been drawn from battery source could be considered as potential fire hazard. Therefore, if you alter your electrical wiring, eventually you will breach insurance policy in possible unrelated accident. I'm electric/electronics engineer and absolutely agree to these strict regulations. Truly I don't recommend you any changes to existing electrical wiring Sir. Thank you.

As I read your post you appear to suggest that all vehicles correctly wired for towing with electrical connections to BS ISO11446 are in breach of international safety regulations and by definition illegal. I would humbly suggest this is not the case and caravan owners can rest easy that their vehicles are both safe and legal.

Sir!

Properly connected towing, as well as other certified equipment is as safe as all car wiring, no objection. My post was addressed to the "car cigar lighter" socket, still energized when the ignition key is removed. Cell phone or any other gadget being charging via adapter from cigar lighter socket left unattended on the seat, may impose alleviated risk. In my humble opinion, if vehicle circuitry designed not to do so, then it is a must. My point of view may be wrong, it is my opinion only sir.