Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.2 D4D Eratic Idle&cutting Out

griff01

Hi folks, I have a '55 plate 2.2 D4D diesel avensis which has a idling and cutting out fault. The fuel filter has been replaced and the inlet manifold has been cleaned (was very blocked) and EGR cleaned, map sensor cleaned and the ecu shows no fault codes. It does'nt smoke it drives well with good MPG but just wont idle very well and now stalls (mostly when warm) Thanks...

How old are glow plugs?? Also check with SCV's. Was fuel filter bled by pumping the top until stiff??

Regards Phil

Hi folks, I have a '55 plate 2.2 D4D diesel avensis which has a idling and cutting out fault. The fuel filter has been replaced and the inlet manifold has been cleaned (was very blocked) and EGR cleaned, map sensor cleaned and the ecu shows no fault codes. It does'nt smoke it drives well with good MPG but just wont idle very well and now stalls (mostly when warm) Thanks...

try some fuel system cleaner, check glow plus or cleaning maf sensor, change air filter, and check resistance of scv valves,

member: if above fails Igor should reply to your question as well, he loves questions like these!

Read this aswell :

http://www.toyotaown...howtopic=139937

hi matey

The fuel filter has been replaced --- have you bleeded fuel system well?

the inlet manifold has been cleaned (was very blocked) --- have you undo it and cleanned thru? or just caught carbon close to holes?

and EGR cleaned -- after have it cleaned -- whether it shifts smoothly to both polar points?

map sensor cleaned ---- this MAF sensor must be cleanned using spray without any rags --- are you sure you did not dammage it?(i doubt)

It does'nt smoke -- what did you mean -- no smoke when started or no smoke during hard drive ?

but just wont idle very well and now stalls (mostly when warm) --- erratic idle might be caused due to dirty MAF or damaged (?);throttle valve is diirty; lack of control signal on the injector/s; air in the fuel system (suction line - filter ---> SCV--->fuel injection pump). Besides --- instable idle might be due to SCV valves playing due to instable 12V feeding from an alternator or even SCV solenoid coil is about to die (burn out).

Finally -- it would be better to have a video after drive to have engine hot and to see.

Cheers/Igor

Update! It was booked onto main dealer (tues 20/11/12) after my independant toyota mechanic couldn't find fault. Anyway in between sat night and1 tank of Shell fuel it has cured it and runs like a dream grrrr! It is somewhat bittersweet as I'm glad it is running sweetly but I'll never know why? it did exactly the same a year ago and cured itself. I guess I should steer clear of supermarket fuel and stick with Shell ;-)

Update! It was booked onto main dealer (tues 20/11/12) after my independant toyota mechanic couldn't find fault. Anyway in between sat night and1 tank of shell fuel it has cured it and runs like a dream grrrr! It is somewhat bittersweet as I'm glad it is running sweetly but I'll never know why? it did exactly the same a year ago and cured itself. I guess I should steer clear of supermarket fuel and stick with shell ;-)

probably just needed a good blast , time to time take it over 3,000 rpm.(when its warm) i had power loss, egr valve cleaned ive been using bp since, another thing diesels cars are not made for short journeys, mine doesnt actually warm up until 3 miles and thats without the heating on.

thank you for the update btw.

• 3 years later...

Hello Every one

i recently bought 2007 Avensis 2.2 D4D with 100K on clock, recently i noticed, when the car is cold or the temperature is not build upto normal the car idle normally the moment engine build up its temperature the temperature needle is in middle of Diag it starts idling very poorly and engine starts shaking but it doesnt cut out. it happens only when i stop on traffic light or i am stopped completely. the fuel economy has gone very bad i am getting 25.9MPG at the moment what you guys recoomend.

thanks

Check and clean everything that the original poster had done and what igor has pointed out.

thank you very much  for your reply but can someone guide me how to take down  inlet manifold. Cheers :)

• 2 months later...

Dear All

I need some help. for past couple of days the problem i am having is whenn i drive my car in first gear any time on trafic lights or on roundabout or uphil there is no power in the car initially and the accelerator is hitting almost the floor and after couple of seconds the power comes back and car pulls fine. what it could be i am loosing power for a while in first gear. thanks

• 5 years later...
14.4.2016 klokken 13:20 sa JawadA:

Hei alle sammen

Jeg har kjøpt 2007 Avensis 2.2 D4D med 100K på klokken, nylig la jeg merke til når bilen er kald eller temperaturen normalt ikke er normal, nylig går på tomgang i den øyeblikket motoren bygger opp temperaturene, er temperaturnålen i midten av Diag den starter går veldig dårlig på tomgang og motoren begynner å riste, men den slår seg ikke ut. det skjer bare når jeg stopper på lyskrysset eller jeg blir stoppet helt. drivstofføkonomien har gått veldig dårlig, jeg får 25,9 MPG for øyeblikket, det dere anbefaler.

Takk

Hei dude. Fant du ut problemet med din avensis? Jeg har det samme med meg avensis 2007 modell. Alahus78@yahoo.no