Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Cover

JerryB

Hi all , sorry, gonna sound like a real DumbDumb here but can someone tell me if the plastic engine cover on my 2.0 D-4D just pulls up and off? Cant seem to see any clips to undo. The cover seems to be rattling - if i put my hand on it to steady it, the noise stops. Also, once i've got it off what would be the best way to secure it better - foam padding? Thanks - what an invaluable Forum this is - everybody seems keen to help each other - fantastic. Jerry

Yes, it's held on by 4 attachments under the cover which connect to studs on the engine, just pull cover upwards and it comes off safely.

The plastic 'clips' aren't very effective. The locating holes under the engine cover are actually threaded. I've replaced these clips with stainless bolts similar to:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/m6-x-16-stainless-flanged-button-screw-allen-bolts-x-10-/260672353651?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Nails_Fixing_MJ&hash=item3cb1487573

(not certain about the size - It's either m6 or m8?)

Gazza1286 are you confusing the question with the 2 piece cover of the rest of the engine bay, as in the one held with the plastic threaded bolts?

The engine cover here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-TOYOTA-AVENSIS-VVTI-ENGINE-COVER-/261057833781?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cc8426b35

The upper two holes are originally held in place using plastic studs. Those line up with the threaded holes which can be swapped for the stainless bolts.

ah, so I see. My engine cover is alas totally different to that. Different engine I suppose.

The plastic 'clips' aren't very effective. The locating holes under the engine cover are actually threaded. I've replaced these clips with stainless bolts similar to:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3cb1487573

(not certain about the size - It's either m6 or m8?)

do you know if these are the same on the 2004 avensis ive lost all mine, mind you only had 3 to start off with.

i popped in to Mr T in manchester today, thinking the nylon plastic bolts to hold the covers on would be, what, about 50 pence. Oh how wrong. £1.62 each (!) The ones I currently have break, crumble or split when you so much as cough.

High in price,low in quality.Like a lot of Toyota parts.

avensisd4d786 - I can't comment on the entire range. I really is a case of removing the engine cover and seeing if the holes for the original clips/studs are 'threaded'. I suspect they all will be as there is no other way to provide a surface for the plastic clips to grip onto.

The range of stainless bolts on eBay is extensive and those requiring an allen key smarten up the engine bay no end as well as preventing annoying rattles.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links