Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2008 Avensis 1.8 Air Filter Box

overthetop

Doing a check under bonnet, I noticed foam like gasket material part sticking out of joint between air filter box and the supply pipe coming in thro the wing.

As I have had the car from near new and the only thing I have done is replace the headlight bulbs (moved Battery on that side to do it) cannot work out why this might have happened.

Anyway, the air filter element is due to be replaced soon.

So the question is, what more do I need to know on how to remove the air filter box to investigate and put this foam gasket back in its rightful place?

thanks

overthetop

Hello there, this problem is quite common on the diesel engines causing an annoying noisy vibration, anyway it looks simple enough to do once you have removed the old filter element, I have attached a diagram for you just single click it to enlarge it. You can get the foam gasket from Toyota or find something similar to do the job.

regards Pete.

post-74463-0-77543700-1353151038_thumb.g

t-spiritpete,

I can now see that the lower box is bolted into place.

On my prevous car, a Mazda 6, the box was a push/pull fit.

Where did you find the picture?

The workshop info I have only goes as far as replacing the element, no more.

thanks

overthetop

The only tools required are a 10mm socket and an extension bar on a ratchet. The wire clamp securing the flexi onto the upper box needs backing off to release it. The inboard toggles on the casing need flipping to release the top of the housing. After removing the filter element you will need the extension bar to get good access to the bolts securing the base of the air cleaner unit.