Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Head Gasket Repair

Bwithers

Hello,

The level of coolant in my 2004 toyota avensis overflow tank has gone from full to low in a week.

I have done some research and other site suggest that if the head gasket has gone then there will be bubbles coming out of the radiator cap when running.

I did this this morning...topping up the radiator with coolant and there are no bubbles. The colour of the coolant looks a bright green. There was a small drop of black oily substanMy ce that floated to the top of the cap and into the overflow...but it was very small and didnt see another.

I am hoping its just a leaky cooling system and not the head gasket.

My next step is to take it to the garage for a pressure test of the cooling system and ask them to do a exhaust gas test over the radiator cap.

Is there anything else i should do.

Anyone have an idea of a ball park cost of a head gasket repair?

Thanks,

Bryce

when mine started to go the radiator fan stayed on longer than normal in traffic

Check the water pump as they are known for leaking.

Yours is the old engine so I don't know the ins & outs of head gasket on those but if you can just replace the gasket it shouldn't be a fortune.

If it's a similar problem & cost to those that occur on the later engine it may cost more than the car is worth ...