Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying Advice

civictyper45

As the title says i`m just wanting advice really on what to look for when buying a avensis i`m new tot eh forum so if i make any mistakes along the way pls tell me ...

am after a diesel one has to be no more then 5 years old as its going to be a taxi so i heared the better option would be a 2.0 lump rather then the 2.2 can anybody advise me the right thing to look for when buying thanks Jay

As the title says i`m just wanting advice really on what to look for when buying a avensis i`m new tot eh forum so if i make any mistakes along the way pls tell me ...

am after a diesel one has to be no more then 5 years old as its going to be a taxi so i heared the better option would be a 2.0 lump rather then the 2.2 can anybody advise me the right thing to look for when buying thanks Jay

which shape t25-03-08 or t27-08-till now

2.0 would be a better option for a taxi, more economical- after 06 they are chain driven, most reliable would be preface lift as they don't suffer from the head-gasket issue and are cast iron engine- facelift are aluminium. but you need under 5 years old so pre-facelift is no good.

make sure its been serviced every 10 thousand.

full service history.

read this : http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=138591

type the reg into here : http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/generic_editorial.jsp?navRoot=toyota_1024_root&nodiv=true&fullwidth=TRUE&noLeftMenu=true&forceText=%3Cnone%3E&edname=as_YourToyota&id=as_YourToyota&zone=Zone+Ownership&sr=Mal

see if its part of a recall...

you thought of any other cars to buy or just avensis

Thanks for the reply well had some bad experience buying cars to be honest bought a passat last week and turned out that it broke down soon as I got home it was a 2009 plate one but after hours of ownership had all sorts of problems lost £1000 and shifted it to a mate so basically the seller had me over so this time going for the safer bet and get what I know will be reliable..

The cars I'm looking at will be like 07-08 so it will be in budget quite like the tourers but don't have the need for it

bl**dy hell! that's probably why the guy sold it, be wary when buying cheap cars, think to your self why is it so cheap??

estate would be good on taxi I've seen plenty about, think about how easier it is to get prams/shopping in, and especially suitcases for the long airport trips that taxi drivers love.

main problem with that shape is the head-gasket problem I think Toyota extended warranty's have a search on the forum they should be plenty of information. another problem is dual mass flywheel but your going to get that with any new diesel.

I find that cars are cheaper in the North of England than south. have a look up this way and further.

does it have to be a particular colour?

bl**dy hell! that's probably why the guy sold it, be wary when buying cheap cars, think to your self why is it so cheap??

estate would be good on taxi I've seen plenty about, think about how easier it is to get prams/shopping in, and especially suitcases for the long airport trips that taxi drivers love.

main problem with that shape is the head-gasket problem I think Toyota extended warranty's have a search on the forum they should be plenty of information. another problem is dual mass flywheel but your going to get that with any new diesel.

I find that cars are cheaper in the North of England than south. have a look up this way and further.

well the car that i bought wasn't that cheaper then any other passat going just need one as i need to get it plated before Christmas and ive not worked for 3 weeks so was getting a bit impatient so took my eye off the ball and 9 hour round trip later the car was no good this time thought i would get the advice of the pro`s..

it has to be silver but the trouble am having is allot of the ones i see look silver then turn out to be champaign color or have a hint of green in them although they look silver in pics will prefer a hatch or a saloon but if i get a decent estate not too fussed as long as it lasts me longer then a day this time :ermm:

you mean the t27 08-present in saloon and estate (tourer) t25 come in hatcback i have one my self.

you mean the t27 08-present in saloon and estate (tourer) t25 come in hatcback i have one my self.

Yes mate sorry getting you confused am after the hatch but if I find a decent estate I done mind think its the t25 shape as you call it!

I've been looking and haven't found anything that tickles my fancy but seen a few auris now was thinking about these are the engines the same as the avensis 2.0 d4d ones??

well the car that i bought wasn't that cheaper then any other passat going just need one as i need to get it plated before Christmas and ive not worked for 3 weeks so was getting a bit impatient so took my eye off the ball and 9 hour round trip later the car was no good this time thought i would get the advice of the pro`s..

it has to be silver but the trouble am having is allot of the ones i see look silver then turn out to be champaign color or have a hint of green in them although they look silver in pics will prefer a hatch or a saloon but if i get a decent estate not too fussed as long as it lasts me longer then a day this time :ermm:

hello again, couldn't reply properly earlier. just it have to silver due to council or is that the colour your after.

im not too sure on an auris for taxi's i though in the taxi game the bigger the better, I mean uk has some big guys out there I dont think they will be happy in a small auris..

where you searching to buy used cars..??

is the lowest reg you can have is 07?

what's your budget?

what kind of mileage?

what about these:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201241488370079/sort/locasc/usedcars/maximum-age/up_to_7_years_old/fuel-type/diesel/colour/silver/seller-type/private_adverts/model/avensis/make/toyota/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/1/postcode/ls85qd/radius/1500?logcode=p

price is pretty reasonable,ive found with avensis some people sell them cheap some people hold on and price them more than they worth,

motorway miles is good aslong serviced on a regular basis not too much wear on dmf and clutch and all valves should be clear. expect a few stonechips on bonnet from motorway use.

tspirit-pete should be able to advise you, i believe he has a few taxi driver friends.

FSH Toyota service history, satellite navigation full touch screen system, all motorway mileage, Taxed till 1st December, Turbo replaced at 50,000miles . 5 door Hatchback

another one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-TOYOTA-AVENSIS-COLOUR-COL-D-4D-SILVER-/321018932349?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4abe382c7d&_uhb=1

the guy as wrote its had a cam belt chain im sure them cars have a timing chain. please guys quote me if I'm wrong.

me personally i would look at the one in the autotrader if its a private sale you should be able to haggle alot more than a trade seller.

with the trade seller as well, they does not actually the history of the car apart from whats written on the papers.

and most obvious they will be making a profit on the car otherwise they wouldnt be buying and selling cars.

as you know probably know, most manufactures have different trim/grade/model/spec levels.

t2 is lowest spec tspirit/t180 highest. t180 is only available in 2.2 180bhp hence name.

one in the autotrader is a t3-s higher spec.

i hope this helps

t3-s

grade with

features that include:

8 speaker MP3 compatible audio system with

steering wheel controls

Front grille, body colour with chrome surround

Full colour coded exterior paint

ABS with electronic brake force distribution

Optitron instrumentation

9 airbags (including driver knee airbag)

Adjustable steering column, stepless reach amp;

rake

manual multi adjustable front seats

Manual air conditioning

Front electric windows

16" steel wheels with full wheelcaps

with the additional features of;

Full map satellite navigation

Leather steering wheel

Leather gear shift knob

16" 8-spoke alloy wheel with locking wheelnuts

colour edition

grade with features that include:

8 speaker audio system with steering wheel

controls

Optitron instrumentation

rake

Multi adjustable front seats, manual

Double locking, remote alarm and engine

immobiliser

Manual air conditioning

Front electric windows

8 speaker audio system with steering wheel

controls

Optitron instrumentation

rake

Multi adjustable front seats, manual

Double locking, remote alarm and engine

immobiliser

Manual air conditioning

Front electric windows

info taken for a 2007.

2.2 D-4D Diesel Manual

Top Speed 131 mph (210 km/h)

Acceleration 0-62mph 0-100kmh 9.3 secs

Fuel Economy (Combined) 47.9 mpg (5.9 l/100km)

Carbon Dioxide Emissions 156 g/km

Power 150 ps (110 kW)

Torque 229 lb

2.0 D-4D 442F (1AD) Manual

Top Speed 125 mph (200 km/h)

Acceleration 0-62mph 0-100kmh 10.3 secs

Fuel Economy (Combined) 51.4 mpg (5.5 l/100km)

Carbon Dioxide Emissions 146 g/km

Power 127 ps (93 kW)

Torque 222 lb ft (300 Nm)

key features on all models:

Turning signals in exterior mirrors

Vehicle stability control with traction control and

brake assist

ABS with Electronic Brake Distribution

9 Airbags - front, side, curtain front and rear, and

drivers knee

Remote central double locking, alarm and

immobiliser

Air Conditioning

Multi-adjustable seats

MP3 compatible single CD-player (6-disc auto

change in TSpirit and T180) with sound leveliser,

extended bass and 8 Speakers

Steering wheel mounted audio controls

Optitron instrument display

Front electric windows with auto up/down

Trip computer with average fuel consumption

and average speed display

I havent heard of them having one in, if im right its the dcat engine that has dpf i may be wrong, im not 100% sure

Called up a few of them people some of them are just too far for me to travel as last time it was a 9hr round trip and this time don't fance doing that I've looked and all the local ones don't match up and when I mean local am talking 40mil radius I'm more convinced to get a auris now as there's quite a few knocking about locally here ...

I know this is the avensis section and you guys have been more then helpfull and thanks for going the extra mile..

Now the question I wanted to ask is that does the avensis share the exact same engine in there 2.0d then it does in the avensis 2.0d if it does does that also suffer from head gasket problems??

i believe after some research 2.0 d4d is the same engine

http://en.wikipedia....ota_Avensis#T250

• 2.0-litre D-4D 1AD-FTV 93 kW (125 hp)

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Toyota_Auris

2.0 D-4D 2007–2009 1,998 cc (121.9 cu in) I4 turbo /1AD-FTV 126 PS (93 kW; 124 hp)@3600 300 N·m (220 lb·ft)@1800

1ad-ftv engine:

auris has same issue as avensis, its on the ad engine, not actual cars if that makes sense.

although some people may tell you its more prone to 2.2 than 2.0, i have read some 2.0 with the problem

Warranty Bulletin

For further information please contact Warranty, on 01737 367400.

To be circulated to relevant staff within the Toyota Centre Network only. Please circulate and return to the Service Manager for central file.

Centre Principal

After Sales Manager

Sales Manager

Service Manager

Parts Manager

Sales Staff

Our ref WB553 (v1.1)

Pages 1/3First Issued 7th

Dec 2010Last Revised 1st

Apr 2011

AD Engine Out of Warranty Guidelines (0730J)

We are pleased to advise that we have received more formalised guidelines from TME for the handling of AD engine problems on out of warranty vehicles. The coverage and processes are summarised below.

Conditions Covered

1)

Oil consumption worse than 0.5 litre per 621 miles (1,000 km)2)

Overheating & Head Gasket failure due to carbon deposits on the pistons For all other out of warranty conditions related to AD engine problems, where the customer complaint can be directly linked to a “carbon clogging” concern, i.e. EGR Valve, DPNR, 5th

Injector, EGR Cooler,blocked manifold, etc., we would accept this as being linked to an oil consumption condition.

Vehicles Covered

Those vehicles fitted with AD diesel engines

Avensis with 1AD or 2AD (Prod. Date: Apr 2005 to Feb 2009)

RAV4 with 2AD (Prod. Date: Jul 2005 to Dec 2008)

Auris with 1AD or 2AD (Prod. Date: Sep 2006 to Sep 2009)

Verso with 2AD (Prod. Date: Apr 2005 to Nov 2008)

Age / Mileage Covered

These guidelines cover vehicles up to 7 years old and 111,846 miles (180,000 km), whichever the sooner. This is conditional on there being a retail customer complaint and the vehicle having been reasonably maintained.

Repair Method

Repair must be in accordance with the latest Technical Instructions (TI) & any subsequent updates shown in the table on the following page:

WB553 2/3

Model Engine Type TSB Reference

1AD-FTV EG-0050T-04102AD-FTV EG-0051T-0410

Avensis2AD-FHV EG-0052T-04102AD-FTV

RAV 42AD-FHVEG-0016T-08091AD-FTV

Auris2AD-FHVEG-0067T-0510

Verso 2AD-FTV EG-0060T-04102AD-FHV

Correction Parts

Please use the parts advised in the TI. If there is damage to the block, then please fit a new bare block. Correction parts lists, provided by TME, are published on TOTSS as an appendix to this bulletin, which refer to the use of bare blocks. There fore, do

not

fit:

Short block

Optifit block

Partial engine

Claim Policy

1)

Prior Approval is

not

necessary if the claim is within the period of coverage, i.e. 7 years111,846 miles.2)

If the vehicle is still within warranty, submit a normal claim using the standard flat rate operation numbers.3)

The maintenance history should be checked and claims will not be accepted if due to poor maintenance. Please keep details of the service history with the job card set in case you are asked for it.4)

For cases where the vehicle is out of warranty, e.g. over 3 years or 60,000 miles (whichever the sooner), please use the Special Operation numbers and times from the table on the following page.

WB553 3/3

Warranty Claim Procedure Claim Type

SOPE

SOPE Reference

0730J

Pre filled Packages

Not available

Parts Retention Period

60 days

Special Operation Numbers Model Engine Op. No. Time (hrs)

Auris1AD-FTV2AD-FTV2AD-FHV0730J4 22.0

Avensis1AD-FTV2AD-FTV2AD-FHV0730J2 24.9

RAV42AD-FTV2AD-FHV0730J3 24.9

Verso2AD-FTV2AD-FHV0730J5 24.31)

Replace pistons, piston rings, cylinder head gasket, engine overhaul kit,crankshaft bearings, camshaft bearing cap bolts and con rod bearings

Engine coolant, power steering fluid and air conditioning gas should be re- used and cannot be claimed.2)

Claim attachments – if the repair involves more than replacement of pistons, please attach photographs of the damaged parts and relevant measurements. This would apply to scored blocks or warped cylinder heads.

Reimbursement for Costs Previously Paid by the Customer

These will be given consideration on a case by case basis. Please submit a Prior Approval attaching a copy of the invoice and other relevant information, e.g. service history.

Technician Skills Level

Repairs should only be carried by Toyota Licensed Technicians (TLT)

What's the best way of telling the head gasket is ok and not on it's way out??

loss of coolant,overheating, loss of heating.engine fan staying on longer than normal in traffic

heres a post from t-spritepete

"Hi mate, the water pump is an issue with the 2006 onwards D4D engine so get it checked out, the head gasket is more of an issue with the 2.2D4D so keep your fingers crossed yours is ok, the tell tale signs is pink/white specks of Toyota antifreeze on the black plastic engine cover where as the water pump throws it out underneath the engine.

Pete "

have a look at the thread pay close atttention to pictures.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=122576

and this: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=134376