Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Timing Belt Change

Azim

hello people-jus thought id let you all know that im back on the forum-hols are over so i can check it more often now!

iv already got my first question lined up-And would realy apprecialte if any one can help me with this:

im gona need to get my timing belt changed soon (iv heard this is also called the 'cam belt'-is that right?)-but the price is kind of scaring me-being a student (a broke one at that! :crybaby: ). mrT said £260 inc labour and vat but thats a large chunk of my loan gone already then :censor: !

so, whats the cheapest price anyone has paid to have the timing belt changd?and where-abouts in the country did they have it changed?

cheers guyz (and girls) in advance :thumbsup:

Salaam bro...

funny you should bring this up now.. i just got my car booked in on Tuesday for a timing/cam belt change... and yes they are the same thing...

I have bought the part from Toyota for about £34 and have found a garage who have quoted me £115 for the labour...infact i found 2 garages who quoted the same in my area...

So it aint all that bad if you look about!

salaam bruv,

thanks for that, im hoping that maybe somewhere not too far someone has managed to get it chepaer then that (no harm in hoping!). but if i cant get any better, then i might come up and get it done from there!we'll have to wait and see......

im gona need to get my timing belt changed soon (iv heard this is also called the 'cam belt'-is that right?)

Nice spotting :) we call it a cam belt here in NZ

Cheers

KiwiMR2

salaam bruv,

thanks for that, im hoping that maybe somewhere not too far someone has managed to get it chepaer then that (no harm in hoping!). but if i cant get any better, then i might come up and get it done from there!we'll have to wait and see......

:lol:

erm... you do know that i live in Bradford right!... :D :P

£115 is good for a timing belt change. £260 from Mr.T isn't that ridiculous though.

I did it with a couple of mates. One works for Nissan as their senior test and development engineer and the other works for an F1 team. Two spot on mechanics (+ me!) and it still took us time and hassle, no matter how much research you do.

Whether you do it yourself, or get a garage to do it, make sure they confirm the timing belt tensioner is still up to the job after they re-compressed it. There have been stories where the rubber sealant cap within the tensioner has split and slowly releases the hydraulic fluid... and therefore doesn't provide the correct tension.

I used the F1 team's 1 tonne arbour press, as directed, to re-compress the tensioner before refitting it, and did it at the correct speed. We fitted the tensioner, but my Nissan mate had a bad feeling and told me to leave the car overnight, and check the tension in the morning. Good shout from him. It was leaking hydraulic fluid slowly. I was testament to those stories I'd heard.

Phoned Mr.T up and ordered a new one for about £30. It's not worth the risk, just get a new one.

Here's a pic... think it's for Rev 3 though (not sure how much they differ)...

tbDiag.jpg

:thumbsup:

now that you have mentioned that.. i am scared of taking the car in!!.. :unsure:

...know what you mean!

She is due in tomorrow morning!...

Now i am going to print off that sheet and show it to them!! :yes::thumbsup:

Didn't mean to scare anyone!!! :D

Just something to check. If they don't know what you're talking about when you ask... you might need to talk to someone more senior!

They [Toyota mechanics] know what they're doing though. Just check, because it might not let go for several thousand miles and then you'll have trouble trying to prove it was the timing belt tensioner.

Better to know than not, eh?! :blink: :P

Didn't mean to scare anyone!!! :D

Just something to check. If they don't know what you're talking about when you ask... you might need to talk to someone more senior!

They [Toyota mechanics] know what they're doing though. Just check, because it might not let go for several thousand miles and then you'll have trouble trying to prove it was the timing belt tensioner.

Better to know than not, eh?! :blink: :P

i aint taking it to Toyota though!.... :unsure: just buyin the part from there....

I'm sure it'll be fine mate.

Anyone want to help me with this other foot in my mouth? :!Removed!:

Now i am going to print off that sheet and show it to them!! :yes:  :thumbsup:

If your that worried don't print off the sheet....print of the WHOLE GUIDE ;)

http://www.mr2-tech.com/bgb/mechanical/vol...echanical/8.htm

Cheers

KiwiMR2

i was just messin... although is it possible to get that in a word document?

just wonderin... :rolleyes:

hey fizz bro, im getting a bit scared too now ya know!!!

i knew it took a long time to do but i heard it was esay-obviously not!!

hey i know u live in bradford-dats just a little up the road,+200 miles :lol:

but even after iv put in £40 of fuel-id still be saving £100-so id still be more than happy!

oh yeah-mr T quoted me £24 or £26 for the belt itself, so i mite get it from here!!

i cudnt really understand the thread once it started getting too technical, so u ask all the relevant questions, and once uv had urs done, just give me the :thumbsup: signal, or let me know if im gona have to help help you do a bit of this :boxing:

Mine still in the garage for the 3rd day. The can confirm that they are not having another timing belt change on a tubby.... :P

hey fizz bro, im getting a bit scared too now ya know!!!

i knew it took a long time to do but i heard it was esay-obviously not!!

hey i know u live in bradford-dats just a little up the road,+200 miles :lol:

but even after iv put in £40 of fuel-id still be saving £100-so id still be more than happy!

oh yeah-mr T quoted me £24 or £26 for the belt itself, so i mite get it from here!!

i cudnt really understand the thread once it started getting too technical, so u ask all the relevant questions, and once uv had urs done, just give me the :thumbsup: signal, or let me know if im gona have to help help you do a bit of this :boxing:

I finally got my car back today! :rolleyes:

To cut a long story short, i was quoted for a N/A and not a Tubby... as the guys who worked on it had to remove the intercooler / air con / dislodge the engine also just to be able to take the cover off the bottom side of the engine...

He rang me about 4 hours after i left the car with them, advised me i was quoted wrong and it may cost another 2 hours worth of labour at £25 per hour maybe..

I told him that i aint happy bout it and he offered to put my car back together and i can take it away without charge...I told him i dont finish work till 5pm and we agreed i would see him then.

I turn up with my car floatin in mid air and the guy sayin the same ole !Removed! as before. I asked him to put my car back together as i was not happy with payin more than i was quoted!

He showed me what he had done... and i could tell it was a fair bit of time to get to the stage of reaching the cable...

he then went down to £30 extra.. i still said i want my car back..as i knew he would not want to loose on a days work!.. and so he finally said he will have to stand by the original agreement and make a loss!

All in all i think that they were honest and did a good job but he said he will think twice before accepting a job like this again! :lol:

The main thing is that i found another garage who are well known to deal with Jap cars.. especially Scoobies as they are common as hell here.. and they quoted me £115 for the labour as well...

The one thing i would say is that dont expect it to be done in one day!..lol :!Removed!:

does any 1 know if the belt setup is the same on an fe engine?

Also forgot to add that i had the alternator belt changed at the same time...

Glad to hear you stuck by your guns with 'em Fizz.

There's plenty that wouldn't have.

Glad to hear you stuck by your guns with 'em Fizz.

There's plenty that wouldn't have.

I know my rights!...

Only pay for what you have been quoted or originally agreed! :thumbsup:

they cant change the price midway through!".... :ph34r:

Too right mate. Doesn't stop 'em trying... b :censor: ds. :P

Too right mate. Doesn't stop 'em trying... b :censor: ds. :P

To be honest i felt sorry for 'em as they were actually being upfront and honest with me.. no BS and he even took me over to the car midway through the work to show me exactly what he had to remove etc...