Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should I Keep My T180?

Ladyowner

Hi all, am new here and facing a dilemma re my '57 reg T180 which I have owned for two years. It is in great condition and has 45K miles on the clock. However, I am thinking of chopping it in for something more 'sensible' ie cheaper to run. Dealers have offered me peanuts in p/x though (£8K!!!!).

Can't find anything I like as much as the Rav 4 though, but am toying with the idea of a three-door diesel with a spare wheel on the back. My other half frets about the dreaded run-flat issue and it must be contagious. I think I need a bit of support here from T180 fans. Should I stay or should I go (with Fiesta/Skoda/sardine can)?

The spec on the T180 is fab and none of the 'sensible' cars offer anywhere near as much for the money. How many miles can I expect to get it I keep my Rav for the next few years?

Thoughts appreciated, thank-you.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Big Kev

• Gav rav

• sonixtorm

• Ladyowner

Millions........don't sell it unless you are doing very high mileages that incur sore fuel bills. A Fiesta......? First sign of snow and ice you will regretify.......change the Flunrat system and it will save ye ££££££ in the long term.......just be absolutely sure you don't have an oil guzzler....come back on if you find it's using oil.

Good lucK with your decision....we will still speak to ye either way....maybeez.....

Big Kev

Definitely keep it. You have now taken the big hit on depreciation. The run flat system is a pain in the behind, but buy a spare wheel for long journeys, original Toyota ones do come on eBay for not a lot of money.I picked one up the other week (though not a T180 18incher). The engine, as long as it doesnt start using oil, is rock solid. Has enough power to get you out of trouble if you need a quick burst of power, and it's under stressed enough to get to 200,000miles without thinking about it. The spec level is very high, a lot higher than other cars for the money. Maintain it well, regular oil changes, diff and transfer box oils when needed and it WILL look after you. Yes tyres will be expensive, but you should get 30,000 out of a set, as a pence per mile cost that isn't bad.

Ladyowner,as the other members on the Forum say, Keep it. I had one (T180) 2006 model, swapped in for a couple of BMW,s and now have an Urbancruiser (AWD). It was the biggest mistake I ever did, I see it regularly on island and it still looks as good as the day I had it.

It is as you say so well equipped, and hey ho, we have the dreaded R/F,s, but that apart, if it,s well looked after and I am sure it is, I would not change it..

Regards Clare

You could always look out for a good secondhand U/C diesel AWD, if you want to cut your running costs. Comes a good second to the Rav 4!!!!!!

Thanks guys (and Clare). I think you've told me what I wanted to hear. Not sure what an oil guzzler is though, Kev. How would I know? I check oil level occasionally (?) and it's regularly serviced.

Got a quote from Toyota for a new alloy and tyre for use as a spare - £750. Spare makes sense tho.

This is a great forum - brilliant resource.

Don't pay £750. One will come up on eBay, or have a look at scrap yards etc as you will pick one up for a good price.

Have just sold two to fellow members (wan each) for nearly a fifth of that price, with totally serviceable tyres. Hang fire and WE WILL ALL find you a spare, Ladyowner, won't we foax hereon....?

Check your oil very frequently forthwith and report any unusual / sudden changes.....there is a problem with some of the diesel engines....don't worry needlessfully.....just keep us posted. You have some leeway in the extended warranty period to have sorted, but not much.....

And excuse all our manners.....welcome t'club.

Big Kev

As big Kev says.....apologies and welcome to the club. If I happen to see a T180 wheel on eBay, or hear of one I will let you know.

As big Kev says.....apologies and welcome to the club. If I happen to see a T180 wheel on EBay, or hear of one I will let you know.

Had a good look tonight, DP, ....BEEN LOTS ON RECENTFULLY.....all gone (and NO....not me profiteering....lol.)

Honest Kev....tyres and wheels to the Gentry.......and the Ladiesry, when available.....

Kev, you old Charmer,you are a "Wheele"gentleman!!!!!!!

Regards Clare

Kev, you old Charmer,you are a "Wheele"gentleman!!!!!!!

Regards Clare

ah know.....

Thanks for the tips everyone. Will start to check oil every week - easy to forget - but then I am female and blonde(ish) and can therefore make sexist jokes with impunity! If anyone sees a good 18" wheel and tyre please let me know. Will look on e-bay myself too. I thought if I bought a new one I could replace both rear tyres in the next few months using the new spare and then only have to buy one tyre. Wornish tyre then becomes spare.

I am in a similar situation.. My car is worth in real terms next to nothing. It has sat at the side of the house virtually unused for some months now as it has proved nigh on impossible to sell..

If your car is running well and you obviously like it then to sell or trade it in for a far lesser car is a huge false economy ! Your car like mine has depreciated in value so far that to trade out of it will cost a huge amount and getting back that amount in the extra fuel economy from say a Fiesta would take for ever..

Remember whatever you buy will go through the depreciation cycle your existing car has already gone through !

If you really want to out the car then wait for the snow to hopefully fall which is what I am doing !!

The runflat issue can be got over for the cost of a set of tyres and a switch to bypass the TPMS if you also remove the sensors.. Only problem is you will have no spare wheel but you can carry a repair kit which I believe is what comes with a current new car..

Fuel consumption can be very much improved by the fitting of a Lindop tuning box.. Easy to fit and removable come time to sell and will repay for itself in no time if you are covering the miles...

£750!! As they say in Ireland Jeasus!!

To give you an idea as as Kev and many others have said about flea bay & fellow members selling their bits on :naughty:, over the last 12 months or so I have acquired 2 unmarked T180 wheels complete with brand new correct fitment Bridgestone tyres (one of which I carry as a spare) and then another brand new pair of correct fitment Bridgestone tyres for around £600 in total.

.....and he has nicknamed his Rav Steve Austin...."we have the technology....we can rebuild him." Phone Anchs, Martin.....he will have lotsa fresh dashboard bits to start another interior.....lol.

Now playing hide 'n' seek.....

How dare you.

BTW I could do with at least 2 more visits to "look" at your car before you get a new 4.4. And yes that great big gap behind the steering wheel where most people have a dash is meant to be there on a SR (with style pack only)........

.....and yes the steps are sometimes loose and will fall off of their own accord,

And yes that great big gap behind the steering wheel

Thought you were talking about Kev for a mo :)

Gus

Far side of the steering wheel Gus!

My 2 pence worth...keep it if you can.

Its the most enjoyable vehicle to drive i have ever owned.

If worrying about the runflat is an issue (and it bothered me) save a little each month and when the time comes replace all 4 corners for normal tyres. i would say what you would lose in PX will cover this.

I had all 4 wheels refurbished (BSR X 2 removed...thats how it came when i bought it) and normal geolandar tyres fitted for around £900. Bodyshops are best for this as angle grinder will be required, most tyre places won't bother.

As already mentioned you can also keep an eye out on eBay, for spares.....and keep an eye on oil consumption / coolant loss, something you'll be covered for a while yet due to the excellent extended to 7 year warranty on these issues.

One of these days I will meet Kev and he will probably give me a well deserved slap :)

Gus

Posted yesterday.....second class.....